Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newer GW inks separating  (Read 2630 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Newer GW inks separating
« on: February 12, 2023, 01:33:10 PM »
Anyone else had this problem? Just the standard inks (not contrast or anything).

The older ones were fine but I'm finding the newer ones separating and needing a bloody good shake to get the solidified stuff at the bottom mixed in.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Newer GW inks separating
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 03:14:05 PM »
Price goes up, quality goes down. >:(

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 04:39:30 PM »
This wasn’t intended to derail into a GW hate thread, there’s plenty of that elsewhere. I’d just like to know if others have experienced the separating or if this is just potentially a bad batch.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 04:49:59 PM »
Maybe. I bought a pot of Nuln Oil a few months ago and found it very weak compared to the old one I was replacing. I just assumed there wasn’t as much pigment, but it might actually be the problem you experienced (pigment there, but not mixed in properly). I’ll have to take a second look.

A friend had the same thing with one he bought at around the same time.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 06:06:41 PM »
Maybe. I bought a pot of Nuln Oil a few months ago and found it very weak compared to the old one I was replacing. I just assumed there wasn’t as much pigment, but it might actually be the problem you experienced (pigment there, but not mixed in properly). I’ll have to take a second look.

They changed them recently (they had some posts about it on the community page) and the consensus seems to be that they've ruined them by making them weaker and shinier.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 09:44:11 PM »
Thanks. Sounds like it’s a consistent problem them. Bugger  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 08:41:45 PM »
Yep, heard nothing but bad from the local guys who still use GW stuff.  Also seen the same on various YouTube channels.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 10:16:49 PM »
I have never had a problem with GW paints separating until recently; a few months ago I bought a pot of Runefang Steel and it separates quite easily. It requires more than the usual shaking to get it mixed again.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 08:54:28 AM »
I have Daler-Rowney FW acrylic inks that do the same. I suspect it's to do with the exact composition/consistency of pigments and binder in them, and their ability to keep everything in suspension.

Like others, I've found newer GW paints all seem to separate quite easily in general (well, all the ones I have anyway), and this might be due in part to them being thinner consistency. Since acrylic ink is basically just very thinned paint, I wonder if this is why it's happening more?

A couple of things to note though; older GW inks (the white flip-lid ones, both round-pot and hex-pot types) sometimes had a habit of reactivating, and were often strong enough to "stain" the paint underneath (I think because they were actually a lacquer base?) - the newer inks are all acrylic formulations that no longer behave this way (and are better for it IMO). The other thing is that I use Daler-Rowney FW acrylic inks, and have found that the "best" ones for me are the semi-translucent ones; letting them settle and then pouring off the clear liquid means I can dump the sludge left at the bottom and I end up with more translucent inks (albeit, they are less strongly-tinted, but I can always just apply two coats!).

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 10:07:11 AM »
I used to use the DR peat ink but stopped when I realised that it wasn’t  UV stable
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 09:03:17 PM »

The washes were changed middle of last year (I think, might have been even earlier). They are now meant to work in tandem with contrast paints. So no longer meant to stain whole surface as well as pooling in nooks and crannies, they are just meant to pool. They also took the opportunity to reduce the size of the pots too.
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 09:14:25 PM »
The washes were changed middle of last year (I think, might have been even earlier). They are now meant to work in tandem with contrast paints. So no longer meant to stain whole surface as well as pooling in nooks and crannies, they are just meant to pool. They also took the opportunity to reduce the size of the pots too.

Damn I mostly use them for staining

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 09:27:45 PM »
Me too  ::) lol

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 09:44:30 PM »
What can a man who relied on the "magic in a pot" that the older incarnations of these washes provided get instead, I ask?

I too have noticed the drop in quality (or change in behaviour) of the GW washes, the worst one for me being them drying super glossy (and yes, I shook them, stirred them, didn't mix water in, didn't buy the gloss version, etc).

I sure miss Devlan Mud.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 01:24:21 AM »
If you miss the older GW washes, have a look at the Army Painter Washes (the acrylic ones in dropper bottles). Very similar in colour and finish! ;)

Yep, those washes are all now part of the Contrast range of paints, and were reformulated (and changed a bit) accordingly. Generally, your description seems about right to me!

I used to use the DR peat ink but stopped when I realised that it wasn’t  UV stable
Yeah - that's why I use the acrylic inks that are noted as being UV stable. It should be noted that translucency and light-fastness do vary by colour though (link).