Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:22:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. Rangers of Gondor.  (Read 30057 times)

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. -They have a Troll!
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2023, 07:25:00 PM »
yes, 1/72 being easy to store is a very good point!

This barbarian is from the manufacturer Elhiem, right? Do you know of any other fantasy releases by Elhiem?

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2023, 05:02:54 PM »
yes, 1/72 being easy to store is a very good point!

This barbarian is from the manufacturer Elhiem, right? Do you know of any other fantasy releases by Elhiem?
AFAIK, they only released a few characters, less than ten I think.
Cheers,

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2023, 10:54:59 AM »
I did not know how to call it. What I am planning to do is playing solo encounters with the members of the Fellowship through their journey from The Shire up to Gondor or even farther. But it is not going to be exactly as in the books or in the movies as I am going to skip big events and battles, as well as powerful, almost unbeatable characters from the skirmishes such as Tom Bombadil, the Ring Wraiths, the Balrog, the Undead from the Dark Door or Sauron to name a few. My idea is to play skirmishes with everyday monsters so to speak, and see if the members of the Fellowship survive or not; in a fashion to the old PC game Lord of the Rings from 1990 from Interplay, which alsot had that fantastic soundtrack. I mean, it is quite probably that some of them won't make it, and that the One Ring passes from one bearer to another on its way to its final destination. We shall see.

In my mind, I thought about playing two encounters with the Hobbits going from The Shire to Bree, then one with Aragorn before Bree. After that, the survivors will have two more encounters before reaching Rivendell. There, the Fellowship will be formed (I won't play encounters of Gandalf, Gimli and Boromir reaching Rivendell as I cannot remember there were any information about them). The Fellowship will depart from Rivendell and will have one encounter in Moria, maybe another encounter in their way to Lórien. Later, the ambush of the Uruk Hai and then one mission with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli to rescue Pippin and Merry if they still live. After Helms Deep and the meeting with Saruman, the surviving members of the Fellowship will go to Minas Tirith, but before that I will surely play at least one encounter with Frodo, Sam and Gollum, maybe with Shelob and Cirith Ungol, and probably, if I reach that far, I will think and play some more encounters like Ithilien and who knows? maybe a few more up to Mordor.

I'll be using home made solo skirmish rules for the fighting, and the beautiful book Jouneys of Frodo by Barbara Strachey to get a general idea of the journey and its surroundings when deploying terrain. The miniatures to play are all 1/72 soft plastic soldiers, mostly from Dark Alliance and Caesar, plus the Fellowship of the Ring that it is 3D printed.

This copy belonged to my best buddy who sadly passed away on 2020, and I am going to share this adventure with him as well as with you, dear readers.

Our little adventurers coming out from their world for the first time.

As it is too much hassle to copy and paste the encounters here, I'm just going to leave a link to my blog for those interested in reading them. the first two encounters so far:

Woody End: https://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-lord-of-rings-parallel-adventure.html

The Old Forest: https://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2023/09/the-old-forest.html

Cheers,

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. -The journey begins.
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
Third encounter. Aragorn in the Chetwood, cleaning the forest from lurking creatures: https://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2023/09/the-chetwood.html

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. -The Chetwood.
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2023, 02:08:16 PM »
Fourth Encounter. Escaping from the Prancing Pony: https://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2023/10/escape-from-prancing-pony.html

Cheeers,

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. -At the Prancing Pony.
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2023, 08:16:56 PM »
beautiful!  :-*

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2023, 05:43:43 PM »
Fantastic!
Thank you! Glad you like it  :)

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2023, 02:44:48 PM »
Taking advantage of Xmas holidays I've hastily painted one pose of each Ranger from this Dark Alliance box. I've painted them with just block paint and wash except the wolf fur on the captain. The white parts you can see is from paint off by me grazing the miniatures with my fingers.

Happy New Year!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. Rangers of Gondor.
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2023, 06:01:20 PM »
Those look excellent! Your painting approach certainly worked well on them.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2023, 07:18:36 PM »
Those look excellent! Your painting approach certainly worked well on them.
Thank you! They are painted fast and with good results IMHO, so I think I'm going to paint some more this way :)

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2023, 07:50:28 PM »
Very nice.