Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative bodies compatible with War of the Roses Perry Miniatures (new set)  (Read 59336 times)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
It's true you do often see them 'unprotected crotches'! Not all armour covered 100% of the body, and certain pieces could be left off for practical reasons (or perhaps they were in a hurry to get suited up!) so it'll work just fine as is :)

Ooh, would that also be something 15th century by any chance?

15th century indeed ;)

Btw the cool thing with these bodies is that I can have a resin copy and then modify it a bit with green stuff and end up with a variation like extra armor or a surcoat over it, ending up with an other master sculpt for casting
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:15:07 PM by Captain Harlock »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
15th century indeed ;)

Oh good.....

Btw the cool thing with these bodies is that I can have a resin copy and then modify it a bit with green stuff and end up with a variation like extra armor or a surcoat over it, ending up with an other master sculpt for casting

Yes, that's cool!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
A quick snap shot of all the lads together

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
I got a small commission to complete and they are right next ;)
Excellent.  :D
And as I said on Instagram, they look pretty badass. 
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
These are looking amazing.

Steve

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
I have no idea really about how minis are produced! What happens next?
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
I have no idea really about how minis are produced! What happens next?

Well it depends by the material. Since plastic is out of the question due to the staggering starting costs, the options are metal or resin. I’m familiar with the resin process so I can talk about that.
First you have to make a silicone mold of the masters. There are two kinds of molds. Two part molds where the mold splits in half and Cut Molds where the mold is one piece and you carefully cut up to the necessary point, in order to release the mini by pulling it out. The pro of cut molds are reduced mold lines. For example in these bodies you only have to cut up to the crotch of the mini, the rest can be pulled out to be free from the mold, thus no upper body mold lines at all.
Each silicone mold gives about 35 reproductions and then it burns out due to the exothermic reaction of the resin, resulting to silicone becoming brittle and losing its non adhesive properties. So it has to be redone.
The molds are filled with polyurethane resin which is in the form of A+B chemicals.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 03:01:58 PM by Captain Harlock »

Offline Otto1485

• Bookworm
Well it depends by the material. Since plastic is out of the question due to the staggering starting costs, the options are metal or resin. I’m familiar with the resin process so I can talk about that.
First you have to make a silicone mould of the masters. There are two kinds of moulds. Two part moulds where the mould splits in half and Cut Moulds where the mould is one piece and you carefully cut up to the necessary point, in order to release the mini by pulling it out. The pro of cut moulds are reduced mould lines. For example in these bodies you only have to cut up to the crotch of the mini, the rest can be pulled out to be free from the mould, thus no upper body mould lines at all.
Each silicone mould gives about 35 reproductions and then it burns out due to the endothermic reaction of the resin, resulting to silicone becoming brittle and losing its non adhesive properties. So it has to be redone.
The moulds are filled with polyurethane resin which is in the form of A+B chemicals.

You can then give those resin models to a (metal) miniature manufacturer who will make a master mould of them, in low temperature silicone and subsequently cast metal "masters", these are then put into a production mould and metal miniatures can be produced which will allow a substantial number to be produced.

ATB John  :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
You can then give those resin models to a (metal) miniature manufacturer who will make a master mould of them, in low temperature silicone and subsequently cast metal "masters", these are then put into a production mould and metal miniatures can be produced which will allow a substantial number to be produced.

ATB John  :)
Well said  :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
First you have to make a silicone mold of the masters. There are two kinds of molds. Two part molds where the mold splits in half and Cut Molds where the mold is one piece and you carefully cut up to the necessary point, in order to release the mini by pulling it out. The pro of cut molds are reduced mold lines. For example in these bodies you only have to cut up to the crotch of the mini, the rest can be pulled out to be free from the mold, thus no upper body mold lines at all.
Each silicone mold gives about 35 reproductions and then it burns out due to the exothermic reaction of the resin, resulting to silicone becoming brittle and losing its non adhesive properties. So it has to be redone.
The molds are filled with polyurethane resin which is in the form of A+B chemicals.

Interesting, you should post some step-by-step pics of the process when you do it!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Interesting, you should post some step-by-step pics of the process when you do it!
I do have some on other projects on my instagram. I need to set up a camera rig of sorts at some point because usually when Im doing it my hands are full and working against a ticking clock. Its also very easy to make a mess around you if you are not focused. Ask me how I know  lol
But yes its something I would be interested in doing, I do believe into sharing the info. There is not much accessible info about casting and mold making out there, at least focusing on extra small pieces like the ones we are dealing with. Or should I say, there are many fragmented info out there and in the end remains the good old trial and error method.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
What about 3d scanning and then printing?
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
What about 3d scanning and then printing?
actually that requires alot of clean up and possible/probable softening or even loss of detail

Offline MeinPanzer

• Lurker
Just want to say that these look fantastic, and I'll happily buy some copies once you make them! Very pleased to see the regular old hauberk in there.

Offline Thoronde

• Assistant
I would really love to own these!