Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 now with French Provisional Dragoon Regiment  (Read 10604 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Stunning work will be a joy to see these in a battle report in the future. Like the idea of picking a manageable backwater be good to see the rest of the project developing. Keep up the good work as they say.

thank you sir

Another week and another batch of Bavarian infantry. I’m guessing people might be getting a little bored of them now but I’m finding the once a week blog posting is helping to keep my output up so I will keep posting pictures of yet more Bavarians for the moment. With these guys done I have one more battalion of 16 infantry, an artillery battery and a command base and some casualty markers left to paint. I think next week I will paint the artillery as a change of pace from all the infantry I’ve been painting. Not a lot to say about these miniatures really they are basically the other eight action pose plastic Victrix infantry again painted up as the same light infantry 5th battalion as the first skirmishing unit.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
They look great! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
To take a break from Bavarian infantry I decided to paint up some artillery. In reality the single Bavarian battalion in my chosen campaign were supported by two captured Austrian 3pdr guns crewed by some men from an artillery depot company. Seeing as I’ve already turned the one battalion in a four battalion brigade I figured I would make the artillery into a regular 6pdr battery.

The guns and gunners are all Front Rank and really fun to paint. It was interesting having painted a number of hard plastic miniatures recently how much easier the metal ones were to paint. I think there were a couple of reasons for this the metal miniatures have much deeper or raised details than the plastic miniatures and the Front Rank miniatures being of an older era have exaggerated features as opposed to the more in scale plastic miniatures all of which just makes it easy to pick out the details..

With the Artillery painted I just have one battalion (half plastic Victrix half Front Rank metals), which will be this weeks project, and then a command base and some causality markers for games to finish my Bavarian contingent.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Re: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 Now with Bavarian Artillery
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2023, 03:37:21 PM »
Fantastic looking figures! I especially love the discolored muzzles!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 06:33:13 AM »
Fantastic looking figures! I especially love the discolored muzzles!

Thanks 👍

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 09:38:43 AM »
Brilliant work, really enjoying to see your Bavarians. 👍

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 12:03:36 PM »
Brilliant work, really enjoying to see your Bavarians. 👍

Thanks they are almost done now I'm half way through the last battalion and then just have a few casualty markers and a command base to paint.

My order of Black Brunswickers from Steve Barber arrived in the post so I need to stay disciplined and avoid the temptation to start on them until I've finished the Bavarians.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2023, 05:12:08 AM »
Well it took a bit longer than expected but here is my last Bavarian Battalion despite having some time off at Easter I actually found less time to paint than when I’m working (thanks garden and house and all those annoying things that needed sorting). This is the 2nd battalion of the 8th infantry regiment whose uniform was pretty much the same as the 4th regiment except for the buttons which were gold rather than silver. This unit used up the last of the plastic Victrix miniatures with the numbers made up with Front Rank metals. I had to do this because, unlike the Perry brothers, Victrix don’t sell their command frames separately which is a shame and I think missing a trick on Victrix’s part. That’s the Bavarians just about done now with just a command base and some casualty markers left to paint this week. I love the Bavarian uniform but I’ll admit I don’t enjoy painting it that much so I’m kind of glad these guys are finished now.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Huzzah! 👏🏻

Offline David H

• Scientist
Excellent!
Congratulations on completing your project, they look great.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
You have some great-looking minis in this thread.  i especially like those Bayerischers.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Thanks for the nice comments chaps.

The final finishing touches to my first finished force are a command base and casualty markers for my Bavarians. As mentioned before I’m planning on using Neil Thomas One Hour Wargame rules for my solo games. In these rules units take hits rather than casualty removal to show the gradual degradation of units now I could have used paper and pen or just placed counters by units to record this but I thought I’d jazz it up a bit by having dice holding bases with casualties modelled on it to record hits. I realised when I was taking photos I didn’t do a base for the artillery battery so that’s a job for another time.

The One Hour Wargames rules don’t require any command bases but I have a few ideas for house rules one of which is to bolt on the old classic DBA D6 command and control rule to add a bit of friction to the rules. To allow me to do that I’ve painted up a command stand with a couple of junior officers and a General der Infanterie having a chat.

As mentioned before in this thread, in my chosen campaign of Bohemia/Saxony/Westphalia in 1809, the Bavarians had a very minor part to play contributing a scratch battalion made up of three depot companies from the three different regiments and a small battery of two guns. As I had so many Victrix Bavarians and I felt it was a waste not to use them I’ve ended up expanding the Bavarians into a small brigade of four battalions (the light battalion acting as skirmishers) and a artillery battery. I now have to decided what nation to paint up next I have Victrix French and Austrians that I could start on but my 1809 Black Brunswickers from Steve Barber have recently turned up in the post and I’m itching to get started on them.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 Bavarians All Finished!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2023, 05:58:45 AM »
Brilliant work, truly inspirational.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2023, 08:57:38 AM »
Lovely job, & as to which army to do next... go with your gut feeling, Black Brunswickers. :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »
Splendid  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/