Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULAVILLE - Game Reports (Zombies...lots of them)  (Read 14119 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
AKULAVILLE - Game Reports (Zombies...lots of them)
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
Players: Hasslefriesian, Hetz, Duff

Umpire: AKULA

Rules: Total AR:SE

Since the last game at mine, things have got tougher for the survivors.  For starters, i've now got 338 zeds (including more hordes, and Zombie Tanks), rather than the 250 we had previously, and secondly, the table is now 12' x 4' rather than 6' x 6'.

We decided to go with 3 figures per player, a comboination of policemen, heavily armed survivalists, and a couple of odd characters who'd tagged along, of which more later.

The group started on the edge of town - they'd heard reports of a helicopter landing on the roof of an office block, and were going to attempt to make their way into town to use it to escape the locale.

The survivors were faced with a simple initial choice - head up the main road that was likely to be infested with the undead, or sneak into town through the Shopping Mall, via a service entrance, the door of which had been left ajar.

The nine survivors crept into the Mall, and headed up the service stairs, onto the upper level.

An undead security guard, and dead guard dog, were quickly despatched, and the group began to cross the deserted skywalk.  The zombies outside of the Mall were unaware of the survivors at this point, as the toughened glass of the skywalk, had masked the sound of gunfire.

It was only when the party got to the other end of the skywalk (now 4' into the board), that they first ran into problems.... "TANK!"

A large, muscle-bound zombie surprised the party as they came to a games room at the end of the skywalk.  The Tank hurled a snooker table at one of the party, but narrowly missed, before being gunned down in a hail of gunfire, from the collective firepower of the policemen's shotguns, and the survivalists AK's.

Before they could congratulate themselves, the party heard the moans of a dozen zombies, on the lower level of the Mall that had been alerted, but the noise of battle.

In the ensuing melee, one of the party, a diminutive man, wearing a yellow mankini, and matching helmet was injured by a zombie. 

This unfortunate individual had smeared himself in olive oil, to avoid being grabbed by zombies, but had been unable to secure a weapon, preferring to headbutt the undead.  Now, realising he was likely to be infected, and might endanger the rest of the team, he chose to dive over the balcony, in an effort to take one of the undead with him.

This selfless act, was for nought - he missed the zombies, landing with a crunch, which announced his neck breaking.
The finally irony, was that having hastened his own death, he slowly rose up from the floor, as one of the undead, to attack his former comrades.

Meanwhile, the policemen, survialists, an Army Vet named Grant, a retired Colonel (by the name of Marbles), and a young lady named Ashlee, armed with a chainsaw, began to mow down the zombies on the stairs.

The battle at the foot of the stairs turned out to be very costly, as more zombies charged the doors to the Mall, having spotted fresh meat.  Grant, and then the Colonel, fell under a mass of zombies.

The remaining six survivors burst out of the doors of the Mall, but their direct path to the Office (and the rescue helicopter) was blocked by a seething horde of undead.

Ashlee, now bleeding from several wounds stagegred on, along with the two police officers, one of which Sam Ford, was also wounded.  The deadly Sniper fire of the grey haired survivalist, continued to drop zombies as they moved around the obstacle of the horde, and the remains of a hazmat decontamination unit.

Passing to close to a spawn point, two of the survivalists were brought down, leaving only ashlee, the remaining gun-toting redneck, and the two policemen to run towards a high chain-link fence.

The young woman, now beginning to feel weak from her wounds, and the infection, sacrificed herself, so that the two policemen, and the survivalist could clamber over the fence.  Again the sacrifice was in vain, as more zombies awaited them on the other side of the fence.

In a moment of true carnage, the final policeman is brought down, ending their valiant escape bid.

Result:
9 out of 9 Survivors Killed (0% Survival Rate)

Typically these games have between a 25-33% survival rate, so this was a bit of a eye-opener.  In hindsight, the survivors possibly waited a turn too long before making their run for it - the oncoming horde, and the nearby spawn point meant that their numbers began to dwindle alarmingly, until they were just overwhelmed.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULAVILLE - Game Reports (Zombies...lots of them)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »
Game 2
Players: Hetz, Duff, AKULA

Umpire: Duff

Rules: Total AR:SE

We decided to stage a military rescue mission, using the same terrain.

Two teams of 4 USMC (painted by Dags), in humvees raced onto the table, to rescue The Royal Family (Madge, and Bubba), who were holed up on the upper floor, of a derelict building, along with their two Personal Protection Officers.

The Royal party were keeping quiet, as only fast zombies possessed the dexterity to climb up to their position, with a growing collection of slow zombies, shuffling around below.  The loyal police officers killed two fast zeds in hand to hand, to avoid using their weapons, which might have drawn in yet more undead.

Hetz's team starting cutting down swathes of undead, with a deadly combo of SAW, M4, and Sniper rifle fire.

My Humvee had to take a detour through the petrol station, due to the abandoned vehicles, with a SAW gunner holding on for in the back. Driving too quickly, I repeatedly failed driving rolls, causing my vehicle to hit a glancing blow on a tree, before ploughing towards an undead giraffe.... :wink:

Hetz's Humvee then ran into BIG trouble, firstly being grabbed by a horde, and then being rammed by a zombie tank....

Meanwhile, my pickup continued its (largely out of control)journey, as Hetz's team bailed out of theirs, to head into the Mall.

As my humvee approached the Royal Party's position, two of the team jumped out, and started to engage the zombies, to draw them away from the base of the building.

Two SAW gunners, and a M4 cut down 6 zombies, and knocked back another 3 with a devastating volley of fire (16 shots in total), as the Humvee drew up alongside the house.  The Royal Protection officers lowered a rope ladder for her majesty to climb down.

Hetz's team had worked its way through an empty Mall section, and fought its way past the Spawn point near the Hazmat Unit (Bubba can be seen in the foreground).

With the Royals onboard, my Humvee tried to make a break for it, running the gauntlet of two hordes, and busting through some crates to get to safety (we had a 50% chance of getting stuck next to the hungry zombies).  The two marines on foot, faced with over 80 zombies directly in front of them, started looking for the keys to the nearby Humvee Ambulance.

The two marines, managed to get the ambulance started, and headed back over to the building to rescue the two policemen, while the pickup with the royals onboard continued its mad dash to safety (or destruction).

Narrowly avoiding stacking the pickup again (I think Duff was being generous here, although i'd slowed down to 10" a turn by this point), the Royal headed for safety, with the SAW gunner cutting down anything in their way.

Hetz's team, on foot, and with no one left to rescue, headed back into the Mall, for the Skywalk, which had been designated as a safe pickup point for a Marine Helicopter.

TANK!
The two remaining marines of my team, with the policemen, ran into (literally) the tank that had destroyed Hetz's vehicle earlier.

With inhuman strength, caused by the mutating virus, the Tank hurled the humvee onto two parked cars, killing a policeman, and injuring the other, plus one of the soldiers.  The dazed crew climbed out the back doors of the ambulance, and despatched the Tank with a well-placed M203 grenade, before legging it towards the start line.

Hetz's team, meanwhile, steadily eliminated any undead in their path, as they progressed along the skywalk towards safety.  Even a final zombie Tank, just short of the lift failed to prevent their escape to the waiting helicopter.

The last two marines, and the remaining policeman, stood little chance on foot.  With two of them carrying injuries, and another 4' of table between them and safety, the were eventually overwhelmed and devoured by a multitude of zeds.

Result:
Mission Accomplished (Rescue of the Royal Family)
4 out of 12 survivors killed (66% Survival Rate)

The combo of heavy weapons, and firearm skill, allowed the marines to cut down the slower zombies with relative ease.  The hordes, coupled with the abandoned vehicles, severely hampered the progress of the humvees, and a single Zombie Tank managed to destroy two survivor vehicles - indirectly leading to the deaths of 4 figures.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
As said in the other place.

Nicey nicey!

Sorry I couldn't be there this weekend mate, sounds like some nice games played.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »
Epic!!

Me wants a Mall...
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
Nice game report, thanks!
Impressive table (and amount of zeds) too!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
Sorry I couldn't be there this weekend mate, sounds like some nice games played.

It alright mate, we will just have to sort out another weekend of carnage, at a later date!

:D

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
That was awesome! Thanks for putting it up :)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
Most excellent gaming report.

Those hordes are terrifying looking and the Zed Tanks would turn the bravest man's bowels to water. Been wondering if you based your hordes together on 1 base or just clump then together closely.

Can a horde grab and stop a humvee like that?
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
Awesome game report! Thank you!!!
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »
Most excellent gaming report.

Those hordes are terrifying looking and the Zed Tanks would turn the bravest man's bowels to water. Been wondering if you based your hordes together on 1 base or just clump then together closely.

Can a horde grab and stop a humvee like that?

Each horde is on a base approx 10cm in diameter - the figures are permanently attached to the base, which allows them to be packed in a lot closer than you could otherwise.  One horde has 46 minis in it - the others 29, and 25, but act the same.

Can it "grab" a humvee?

Not in the sense of the "zombie grab rule" in my rules (ie grab something as it passes by), but the horde actually moved into contact during its turn (Black Ace), so it surged all over it.  We diced to see if the crew got out in time (under the  "Umpires Discretion"  rule)

A horde can "grab" a survivor, in the same way as a individual zombie can, the difference being, if you are grabbed by a horde base, you are automatically ripped to shreds.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:23:15 PM by AKULA »

Offline Oliver

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
 :o Wow that beeeeautiful! Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Where are Total AR:SE available from??

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 10:01:31 PM »
:o Wow that beeeeautiful! Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Where are Total AR:SE available from??

Me!

:D

AR:SE stands for AKULA's RULES : SKIRMISH EDITION  (a joke on Frothers).

PM me your email address, and i'll send you a copy....  ;)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
The rules are awesome, Oliver!! You will not be disappointed.

Where did you get those counters from, AKULA? They look nice too.

Is this undead evil giraffe an escapee from a certain Lead Adventure Forum?  :o

Truly a vile nasty undead beast if I've ever saw one!!!  lol lol lol
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:14:53 PM by warrenss2 »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »
I love it
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 03:07:35 AM »
Ahahah, most excellent. And it just goes to show that a small profile and bald head still didn't help in the long run. ;)
Everything is better with lizardmen.