Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What a Cowboy - Hog Thief Bend. Update by Snappers 22.04.24  (Read 15661 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
What a Cowboy - Hog Thief Bend. Update by Snappers 22.04.24
« on: October 31, 2023, 04:18:46 PM »
 :oGunfight at Alamogordo – A Much Piddling in the Marsh Production

Looking from the west, the small town of Alamogordo basks under the hot Arizona sun. The Taberna is in the far right hand side, This Taberna is the objective of two desperate gangs of cutthroats. Sheriff Saveloy Ruben ‘Rooster’ Snapcase, brother of Barmy Bertram Snapcase is going to try and burn it down, you might ask why, but this man needs no reasons to do such a thing.
Oliver Steadfast Standish is going to prevent him carrying out this dastardly deed and Jack Daniels doesn’t give an owl’s hoot in hell either way, he’s just going to drink the Taberna dry and forget what he’s going to forget….. although he can’t remember what that is now.

Oh and then he’s going to kill a Snapcase, any one will do.

The town from the East, the Taberna is now in the far left of the picture. Note the fence line running along the dusty roadway, it’s going to become famous as Dynamite Alley or Lucky Ollie’s Hat Place, but that’s for later.

The Good Guys consist of an elite band of gunfighters, feared and respected throughout the West and from left to right they are, The Honourable Horace Boris Spooner or as he became known in the gunfight Old Pink Shirt. The man in black isn’t Johnny Cash it’s Oliver Standish, sometimes known as Crazy Ollie, Sensible Standish or, as I shall refer to him, Steadfast Standish for reasons that will become apparent if you continue reading. Wearing a black eye patch is Jack Daniels, known to his enemies as that Mescal Fiend, Raving Jack Daniels, Jack does like a tipple now and then, but Mescal Fiend is an unwarranted calumny spread by lowlifes and riffraff. Finally, there is his only daughter, Molly Daniels, whom he lovingly refers to as The Kid, she might once have been a little girl with blonde pigtails but she’s grown a little since then.

Pawns of big business and infamous cattle barons are The Snapcase Posse, a squinty eyed group of lowlifes and riffraff, or so rumour has it. Again from left to right we start with Granville Arkwright a saloon keeper and owner of the gambling den the Grumpy Goat. Old Blue Hat herself is Misty Meaner, no she’s not pleased to see you, that is a stick of dynamite in her pants. On her left is Hawkeye leNoo and he doesn’t wear any….pants that is. Finally the big man himself, Saveloy Ruben ‘Rooster’ Snapcase, the big sausage, a gun toting rascal and the only person in the gunfight who could move slower than molasses in wintertime. He’s not standing on that rock, he’s anchored to it.

The good guy’s, Steadfast Standish, Pink Shirt Spooner, Mescal Jack and Molly Daniels have been staying in the less than salubrious Los Pollos Hermanos Taberna in Alamogordo. Steadfast and Spooner like the cheap food, Jack likes the cheap Mescal and Molly doesn’t like any of it but she needs to keep and eye on Jack.

Steadfast and Jack will be located close to the Taberna, Pink Shirt and Molly will be over behind the big butte on the right, and we had all the big butte jokes.

Snapcase and his male friend in a skirt will arrive on the left hand side as we look at the town. They will dither around for quite a long time before either being shot, or running away, or any combination of the three options.

As the gunfight opens, Jack takes a commanding position on the left hand side of the Taberna’s roof. He gazes longingly down at the big barrels of Mescal and curses himself for not bringing one of the large ones up onto the roof. The small 5 gallon barrel he did bring isn’t going too last long in this heat.

He’s only half way through it, when that low down law man Saveloy ‘the Sausage’ Snapcase enters the game and immediately hides behind the fence. Slow as molasses in wintertime the leader of the lawmen dithers and havers behind all the cover he can find, anything rather than marching boldly towards his nemesis.

There was a lot of hiding going on throughout the gun fight and I suspect there will be even more in future games.

Molly Daniels moves forward and takes cover behind the brick built well, that’s the grey roofed structure, front and centre. Pink Shirt Spooner is hiding behind the whitewashed building to the lower right of the picture. Granville is hiding behind the wooden barrel next to the hen house and if you can see a blue hat behind the fence line, well that’s Miss Demeanour who’s also hiding.

I’ve had strong words with Snapcase over the quality of his photography and he said it’s no worse than my prose, which explains why the pictures suck.

Steadfast Standish ain’t afraid of no man and so he moves forward towards the lawmen, gun in hand. The man in black, closes on the same fence line that some of the desperado’s from the losing side are using for cover. He didn’t take into account that this bold move placed him squarely between Jack Daniels and the Hawkeye leNoo over on the left and out of sight.

Jack has a commanding position on the roof, but leNoo is very short, Jack has taken on board copious quantities of Mescal, what can possibly go wrong.

It’s hard to see, but that figure in the distance is the afore mentioned leNoo. Yes the one by the cactus, to the right of the white building. I think I mentioned having words about the quality of the photo’s.

And the reply.

Well Jack saw him too, admittedly through an alcoholic haze and he knew it was the skirt wearing leNoo and that leNoo was a close companion of Sausage Snapcase. Without a second thought he brought Daisy to his shoulder.
Wait, what are you thinking…..Daisy is his trusty Winchester repeating rifle not some floozy from the Frog and Bucket, anyway without further thought he fired, cocked the rifle and fired again, and again and again.

Missing his target four times.

Damn and damn again.

That’s what drinking under the hot Arizona sun will do for a mans aim…..he doesn’t aim.

Steadfast Standish will agree with that because one of the stray bullets that Jack loosed off in the general direction of leNoo found a mark. That’s right, Jack shot Steadfast in the back. Steadfast was knocked to the ground but like the hero he is, the man just got up, dusted off his coat and carried on……Steadfastly. Not even a cross word or a slight cuss passed his lips.

At some point Daniels finally shot the Scot dead. It took maybe 20 or 30 bullets but the Scot went down and didn’t rise again.
It looks like he was carrying his own coffin with him……defeatist.

Arkright had already met his maker, finished off by Mollie Daniels. It later transpired that his maker didn’t want him and he managed to crawl away from his ignominious shooting and will join up with Sausage Snapcase guarding some railway encampment at a future date. Tomorrow at 13:00.

Miss Demeanour was slowly moving along the fence line towards Steadfast. He was trying to hide behind a cactus, but that’s Steadfast for you, as thin and slippery as a racing snake but Demeanour had something up her sleeve, and it wasn’t the Ace of Spades.

It was a $20 stick of dynamite that had been kept very quiet, until Snapcase announced triumphantly, “she’s got a stick of Dynamite, Jack Daniels didn’t care, too far away and too well lubricated but Steadfast went a whiter shade of pale. She lit the fuse and surprised everyone, including herself by throwing the sizzling stick accurately onto the brim of Steadfasts hat.

BOOM, the explosion sounded loud in the quiet of the gunfight. It blew poor Steadfast off his feet, blew his hat off as well, but where there’s no brain there’s no sense, or is the saying, where there’s no hat there’s no sense, oh damn, I can’t remember the saying, if anyone else can, please let me know.

Anyway it knocked him down but almost immediately the brave chap was back on his feet and levelling his 6 shooter he fired at the hell cat Demeanour.

After killing the weasel Arkwright and filing a notch on her revolver, Molly Daniels has moved forward and she’s just behind the hen house, outflanking Demeanour. In the distance is Old Pink Shirt himself, he’s hiding behind the fence and almost out of focus……yes we’ve discussed the photos!

Miss Demeanour took one look at the odds against her and realised the chap controlling the Snapcase posse wasn’t such a tactical genius after all. Having advanced her into a position where she was surrounded by three enemy figures she lost all confidence in his direction of the fight and so without further ado she ran for the hills.

Somewhere in the middle of all this Daniels had taken a few more considered shots at his arch enemy and laid him low, but as they say, a Snapcase has 9 lives, plus a couple in his back pocket and so the villain of the piece was able to slink away without having to pay for his crimes.

Jack remained triumphantly on the roof of the Taberna, but by this time there was something wrong with his legs, I think he spent too long in the sun. Anyway he called to the pretty young barmaid and asked her to bring up one of the larger barrels of mescal. He wasn’t able to come down, something about the fact that he couldn’t manage the steps at his age, and that the 5 gallon barrel must have leaked or maybe evaporated in the sun.

It wasn’t very clear or coherent but what do you expect from a one eyed fat man – bold talk!

This was the first game in a projected 6 game campaign using the What a Cowboy rules, and was obviously a famous victory for the good guys.
Doug was Pink Shirt Spooner and his main man was Steadfast Standish. What a chap, first to get shot down by his own side (Me) and then blown up by some slip of a girl (Snapcase), but to get up each time and carry on takes some character, a Steadfast character.

I played as the Daniels duo and thoroughly enjoyed the shoot out.

The Mad Lord was good enough to play the bad guys but you probably guessed that. The Snapcase character had an amazing run of low movement dice which must have been a little frustrating for the old chap, especially when he went to ground in the pigsty but I’ll make no further comment on that, ‘Sausage’.

All the scenery and figures are from the vast Snapcase collection and the game was run in the dungeon of Snapcase Hall. We made use of technology developed by the Mad Lord himself, with a little help from Google and something called the internet. Doug and I were in our respective homes and so didn’t have the distraction of the debtors to the Snapcase estate undergoing ritual torture until they came up with the readies. Something we’ve had to witness in the past, it does spoil the appetite if you’re not used to it.

We hadn’t thought to write up the games which is why the photos weren’t really taken for display, so my apologies to Snapcase for making fun of them. Similarly no one made any notes of the action so my account might be a little biased, although I don’t really think so, but I'm sure I'll be told differently. ;)

We’re playing a second game tomorrow and if there’s any interest I could add an account of the game onto this thread, maybe without so much prose. The scenery looks gorgeous, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 04:26:59 PM by Vagabond »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: What a Cowboy - Gunfight at Alamogordo - game 1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 04:29:51 PM »
Splendid fun  :)

Biased battle reports are the best sort  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 04:45:33 PM »
Nice work, pard, although I believe we were in Mexico - that mescala is disorienting to a degree. Sensible Standish recommends you switch to his tipple of choice - a milk and sarsaparilla shandy in a dirty glass.

Be careful what you say about the Mad Lord’s photography - he’s been known to do some mighty unpleasant things with his long lens.

Anyway, I look forward to givin’ that lowdown son of a skunk Snapcase the whuppin’ he deserves tomorrow.

Doug
aka Sensible "where’s my durn hat" Standish

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 04:47:41 PM »
WoW! Just WoW! First off, the terrain and figures are fantastic! I love the characterizations! The AAR is inspirational! Well done!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 05:01:09 PM »
I am very impressed with the board. Good job.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 09:50:09 PM »
Seems a rather splendid game - even with all that phrenology sort of stuff in the write-up (or so says I) but there is a terrible failing in it all.

No one mentioned how well the rules played!  :o

Looking forward to further extrapolations and tales of various heights, some rather tall I suspect.  And a correction of that horrid omission, too!  ;)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 12:16:49 AM »
Er - not to confuse the issue with facts, but Alamogordo is in New Mexico...

In any event - What a Cowboy fight!  See what I did there?   :D

Chalk one up for Mr. Daniels and Co.  But, that rascal Snapcase has 5 more shots at redemption, if redemption is possible for such a varmint as him...  :o

Well played, boys!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 06:33:34 AM »
Well, after that low-down calumny of lies, half-truths and obfuscations, what chance does law and order have, I ask you, good citizens?

No mention made of the fact that Saveloy Snapcase is the Sheriff of Alamogordo (well, I knew it was in New Mexico), Misty Meaner and Granville Arkwright are duly appointed Deputies. The sadly deceased Hawkeye McNoo is an ex-Deputy, owing to the fact that the jocular Scot received an overdose of lead in the gut!

The Arthritis Gang, led by that mescal-fiend, Raving Jack Daniels (who incidentally, is mad enough to swallow a horn-toad backwards) are on a lawless spree, creating havoc for the good citizens of Otero County. Sensible Ollie Standish (built like a snake on stilts) has been back-shot by Raving Jack, nearly separated into many pieces by dynamite and still follows the gang around. I suspect he couldn’t hit the ground with his hat, even if you gave him three throws!

Here was the scene in the Sheriff’s Office in Alamogordo:

Saveloy Snapcase called his deputies into the office. “Men and ahem, of course Misty” he said, “Skinny Pete has just brought word that some no-account Chileans have taken over the Taberna in Alamogordo. These varmints are aiming to sell laudanum and are adding morphine to their own brand whiskey, ‘Panther Piss’. They call themselves the Chicken Brothers, mebbe they are chicken, but I don’t want them in my territory!”

“What you wan’ us to do, Sheriff?” drawled Misty in that lazy Southern way, that always set Saveloy’s pulse racing.

“We’re gonna skedaddle over to Alamogordo and burn that taberna to the ground, the whole kit and caboodle” ejaculated Saveloy, explosively. “I want that danged saloon to be catawamptiously chawed up!”

“Now see here, Misty and I have had experience of dealing with these low-life saddle tramps, but you Granville and Hawkeye are tenderfeet. You watch Misty and me, keep yer heads down and don’t get shot, you hear me? And don’t fergit the matches!”

With that, the posse of the Sheriff and three deputies rode off into the setting sun, fixing to be at Los Pollos Hermanos, the next morning as the sun arose…..

We are in the village of Alamogordo, New Mexico, populated by Spanish and American settlers, Mexicans and home to the Apache.

The local taberna is called Los Pollos Hermanos, owned by Gustavo Fring and Maximino Arciniega. Gus and Max are from Chile, originally.

The scenario is number five in the What a Cowboy! rules, entitled ‘Scorched Earth’.

Vagabond and Doug took the role of defenders and as the attacker, I had to burn down the taverna. We had an absolute blast playing this. The rules produce some great fun and we manged our first game fairly well. We even remembered to play some Desperado Cards and at least one play of a Bonanza token resulted in a quick draw situation. Any disputes, we related the situation to a Hollywood western and decided what would happen from that! An excellent AAR from my esteemed colleague and fellow Gentleman, Vaggers.

Keep an eye open pard, for these killer varmints, they may appear again!

Later today, we play scenario one, High Noon for our second game of the campaign.

Trouble at No Paleta Arroyo

The Big Butte Railway Company, out of El Paso are building a line out west, aiming for Tucson, Arizona. There's a creek to be bridged near Las Palomas in Sierra County.

The Arthritis Gang, led by mescal-fiend Raving Jack Daniels have been sighted in the vicinity. It is rumoured that the snake-on-stilts, Sensible Ollie Standish is still with the gang, even though Raving Jack shot him in the back at Alamogordo, recently.

Quincy Q. Rockingchair III, Chairman of the Big Butte Railway Co. has employed Saveloy Snapcase and his deputies to check on security at the bridging camp…..

What could possibly go wrong?

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 06:11:06 PM »
What could go wrong? I’ll tell you what could go wrong. Toothache. That’s what could go wrong, durn it.

Doug

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 07:11:47 PM »
Absolutely fabulous stuff chaps! Do keep it coming!!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 09:35:27 PM »
What could go wrong? I’ll tell you what could go wrong. Toothache. That’s what could go wrong, durn it.

Doug

Toothache?  Seriously?  That's what your worried about?  Maybe Snapcase is right about Mr. Daniels...you'd think with as much Mescal as he consumes, he wouldn't give 2 whits about a some little ol' toothache..... ;D

And for the record, after reading about the games shenanigans in which yous guys take part, I can think of all kinds of things that could go wrong... :o

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 10:49:08 PM »
Regrettably, Sheriff Saveloy Snapcase (aka Mad Lord Snapcase) was struck down on the eve of our second game by a tooth infection so the second of our games, Trouble at No Paleta Arroyo, has had to be postponed.

Doug

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 11:44:21 PM »
Ugh.  That sucks.  Hope he feels better...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 07:02:21 AM »
A tooth ache ain't no laughing matter.  Supposedly Genghis Khan's brutality was related to bad teeth.  Hope the Lord's dental situation improves before he sinks that far!  :o

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 07:31:13 AM »
Regrettably, Sheriff Saveloy Snapcase (aka Mad Lord Snapcase) was struck down on the eve of our second game by a tooth infection so the second of our games, Trouble at No Paleta Arroyo, has had to be postponed.

Doug

Yes, my most abject apologies to Doug and Vaggers, who I know were really looking forward to the showdown at No Paleta Arroyo. My apologies also, to those of you who were looking forward to enjoying the gunsmoke and mescal-driven antics of our geriatric posse and outlaw gang!

The night before the game, I had severe toothache and got no sleep. The first emergency dental appointment I could get the next day, was unfortunately, right in the middle of when I should have been in New Mexico with Saveloy Snapcase, Raving Jack Daniels and Sensible Ollie Standish.

The game will take place, at the next convenient time, the three of us can assemble.