Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Egyptian Empire!  (Read 39364 times)

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Egyptian Empire!
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »
Hello Ray,

I don't know if you're already aware of this or even if it might be useful for your project at all, but did you have a look at Scibor's egyptian conversion parts?
http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=72
Maybe you can put them to good use ;)
per aspera ad astra

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
As it turns out, I ended up using Vallejo white.  By far the easiest to apply, smoothly and with nice depth; GW, Foundry and my craft paint just couldn't come close.

That is a great tip. Thanks!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
I love the composition of your picture.  The officer, with his sword tip down, as if at the end of a sweeping salute, and his head turned toward the camera, is great.  I feel like the troop has just galloped past me, seated in the review stand.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
Absolutey inspired stuff. This is turning out to be one of the most original and inventive armies we have had around here in ages. Keep 'em coming I am really, really loving these >:(  :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
Keep 'em coming I am really, really loving these >:(  :-*

lol lol lol

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »
Lovely stuff Ray :-* :-* :-*
The whites are great. It is one of the colours I really struggle with

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
Hello Ray,

I don't know if you're already aware of this or even if it might be useful for your project at all, but did you have a look at Scibor's egyptian conversion parts?
http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=72
Maybe you can put them to good use ;)

You mean these?
http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=941#i/conversion_parts/big/egiptin_helmetss_01.jpg

I was really excited when they announced them, then really wasn't once I saw them. They'd make good banner tops though.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »
yes, those, but there are also shields and other decorative parts...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
Actually getting close to being able to pit my Americans vs the Egyptians and Prussians in a .... GAME

:o

The horror!!!  :o  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
yes, those, but there are also shields and other decorative parts...

Ah hadn't seen those, cheers. The shields are nice, not very classical Egyptian but might work well for some Egyptian Curassiers, the guys in chainmail. Gotta love the fact that the Egyptians were still using 'proper' heavy cavalry :)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
I think that watching this thread and Stargate was part of the reason why I find a Sebeki butcher at my painting desk now.

I'm for a desert egyptian campaign thing whenever the next time is!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Ah hadn't seen those, cheers. The shields are nice, not very classical Egyptian but might work well for some Egyptian Curassiers, the guys in chainmail. Gotta love the fact that the Egyptians were still using 'proper' heavy cavalry :)

I don't know if they ever actually used them in action, but they are must-haves for an Egyptian force, especially a VSF one. I'd be tempted to use some Napoleonic Mameluks as irregular cavalry too. They are a unit you can really go to town on when painting them.

I totally agree with all the positive comments. This is the most original VSF army I have seen and definitely my favourite  ;D

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
I'm shocked; I appear to have missed this thread completely. I was sceptical at first when I read the concept, but you've pulled it off rather well thus far. Damned good show!
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
Good to hear you are recuperating.  Sounds like a grand smashup...  :o

It was during the bad snow in January.  The traffic came to a halt and so did I about 15 metres from a truck.  When the car coming up behind turned about on the ice and hit me.  His rear end hit the tailgate of my car.  Then a truck piled into us both and I was catapulted sideways into the back of the truck in front.  The girder that runs across the back that stops you going underneath hit the door pillar just before it hit me in the shoulder throwing me over to the passenger side.  The car was a write off and the police and fire fighters thought that I'd be dead when they arrived.  I wasn't and was even able to walk until the adrenalin rush wore off!  But I've was in plaster or strapped up for months and bloody sore since. 

Thank God that VW Passat's are strongly built! 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »
I don't know if they ever actually used them in action, but they are must-haves for an Egyptian force, especially a VSF one. I'd be tempted to use some Napoleonic Mameluks as irregular cavalry too. They are a unit you can really go to town on when painting them.

At this juncture, to get to the point of putting minis on a table, I need my Prussian allies, but hopefully I will be able to fill out the Egyptians such that they are an army in their own right.  Especially because I have two more units planned for my Americans.  Mancha... beware.   ;)

Right now I think I'm tending towards Brigades Arab Revolt miniatures... though this discussion has made me think that perhaps the Egyptian Army should be more cavalry centric then normal ones.

Hmmm....