Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:00:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 6-7-10  (Read 66746 times)

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
Re: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 3-11-10
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
Gunning children down is bad, in reality and virtual (and really bad in Fallout as you get a 90% of a random encounter with supped up bounty hunters looking for the child killer)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 3-15-10
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 03:01:20 AM »
And the latest in the lot, and frankly, the least satisfying. I picked up a small number of Star Wars minis from my favorite vendor, and found that they have a small issue with scale - as in they can't remember what it is. Plus, the faces on these were really disappointing - the eyes are just not deep enough for my standard flesh - wash - retouch flesh - highlight - add eyes and lips to work well, and that led to a frustrating painting time ( and finally a 'good enough' attitude). Luckily, I was able to distract myself with some old VOID minis and a couple of cheap and easy Pulawskis.

And here is a better idea of how off the scale can get - apparently Old Republic Commanders are over 7 feet tall.

Can't finish the river terrain board yet, as I can't afford the resin to fill in the river yet, but that's okay. I got models to work with right now.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 07:45:44 AM »
They look great!

But that is one reason I wouldn't touch the standard star wars infantry stuff. Horrible models.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »
They look great!

But that is one reason I wouldn't touch the standard star wars infantry stuff. Horrible models.

Y'know, the problem is that you can get some that are just ideal - well cut detail, not too heavy of a layer of paint over them so it is repaintable, not too thin - that you can work with (like the Hoth Leia I turned into a vaultdweller) and then you get the crap that seems to have squeezed out of some malformed monkey's bum.

Not that I have formed any strong opinions, mind you.

I have some Imperial commander who are going to become Enclave, and they look like they will work just fine, as will the infantry I got called "Kota's Legion"...good armor, generic weapon, basic military. They'll be non-powered armored Enclave, and do well by it. They are up after the SuperMutants and some townsfolk.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 3-18-10
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:48 AM »
Woot! Update!

These are my Super Mutants - I have one model I am waiting for from my LFGS, and I'll be done with them.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »

The picture is a bit small, but they look cool nonetheless.

Thats two Killer Croc 'clix, a Warzone Razide with a GW Ork head and four Necromunda Scalies if Im not mistaken.  Whats the figure that you are waiting for?  Is it a leader of some sort?

You are ripping through this project at a ferocious rate.  You already have more than enough miniatures to game Fallout with now I suspect.  I never get turnaround as quickly as that.  Great work.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
He has a team of paint slaves locked away in a cuboard, the only explantion!  o_o

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »
I am awaiting this one, who will get some work to armor him up. He'll get to be my leader.

And yes, you guys guessed what the models were - and actually, thanks for the Razide hint - I knew he was from Warzone, but couldn't for the life of me remember what he was called.

And there is another reason you guys have forgotten that allows me to paint all this stuff - unemployment -  and a lack of opportunity to change that. I paint while I search for work. Keeps my hands busy.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »
Reaper just posted this green for a Mega Mutant that is due out in July.  It sure looks like it could pass for a Fallout Super Mutant.  I hope they make some more.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
Yeah, that is definitely meant to be a Fallout SuperMutant. Nice - just as I finish up the last ones.

I hate the universe sometimes.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 02:51:45 AM »

I wasn't aware this mini came with a mohawk. And i agree that this project is coming along damn nice indeed.

Sorry to hear the reason why you have so much time on your hands to paint. I was in a similar boat till this past October. BUT unlike you i never picked up a brush. So kudos for you for keeping busy. Thought about supplementing for the time being with painting and selling said painted items?  :-)

Grimm

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 3-21-10
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
I refuse to turn my hobby into a job - I have severe tendonitis that can cause me to be unable to paint for weeks at a time, so it would quickly become an unworkable proposition. Besides, this way I still enjoy it, and I think if it turned into work, it would end that.

And now on to the update!

I got my first plasticville building a couple of days ago, and so have been busy converting them. This is the first of several I have, but, unfortunately the only house proper. I also got the hardware store, the 5 and dime, gas station, police station, and a barn. I threw a couple of townsfolk in for scale. Sorry for the fuzzy quality - I could not get it to focus nicely today.

And the back of the house.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2010, 04:43:29 AM »
Been a busy day - 2nd update!

Finished another building. This was a five and dime.

I decided not to mount a sign, so that I can just use the building for whatever whenever. Plus, I'm not sure what I want to call it.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:09 AM »

That new Reaper supermutant is cool looking but the mohawked guy that you had planned has his own charm. 

I prefer the mohawked guys pose too.  The new guys pose looks a bit screwy to me: what is he supposed to be doing?  GW used to make a lot of figures pirouetting like that years ago and I could never understand what behaviour they were trying to portray.

Finished another building. This was a five and dime.

Both buildings look good but I prefer the extra contrast in the second one.  It looks more atmospheric to me.

I decided not to mount a sign, so that I can just use the building for whatever whenever.

That sounds like a plan.  Assuming that plasticville buildings are made with similar dimensions throughpuit the range then it could always be possible to make a series of signs that could be affixed to the buildings whenever you needed a specific building for a scenario or something.  Just a thought.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 04:11:08 PM »
Both buildings look good but I prefer the extra contrast in the second one.  It looks more atmospheric to me.

That sounds like a plan.  Assuming that plasticville buildings are made with similar dimensions throughpuit the range then it could always be possible to make a series of signs that could be affixed to the buildings whenever you needed a specific building for a scenario or something.  Just a thought.

They seem to be consistent, which is a bonus. I thought about having detachable signs, but that is something I can do in the future even when it is done.

I used a different ink wash on the "wooden" parts on the second one to give it a better contrast, and it worked nicely. I am very happy with how these are working.