Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:25:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules  (Read 71754 times)

Offline Fire Broadside!

• Librarian
  • Spaceships, Robots and Beastmen!
    • Fire Broadside!
Re: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
Not on LAF at all.
Beforehand - Only elsewhere on the Internet if you are not going to claim it as newly painted for 'new' bonus points.
Ideally, just wait until the match is over  :)

Ok. What I had in mind was to make a blog post each week announcing each new round and posting a picture of my entry and link to it over here. So no pictures beforehand, only after the round starts. Maybe I could have the picture on my blog being in black and white only while the round is ongoing?  :)
Follow my (mostly) gaming related ramblings at Fire Broadside!

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »
I can't speak to the rules-legality of such things (and Captain Blood has already made himself pretty clear on the topic) but in the past it has been considered that posting an entry or links to an active entry elsewhere on the internet while the round is still open for voting is "not the done thing" (it can be construed as touting for votes).

The simple solution would be to just run your blog entries a week behind your contest entries, so that they only appear on your blog after the active voting phase for each week is over.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Fire Broadside!

• Librarian
  • Spaceships, Robots and Beastmen!
    • Fire Broadside!
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
I can't speak to the rules-legality of such things (and Captain Blood has already made himself pretty clear on the topic) but in the past it has been considered that posting an entry or links to an active entry elsewhere on the internet while the round is still open for voting is "not the done thing" (it can be construed as touting for votes).

The simple solution would be to just run your blog entries a week behind your contest entries, so that they only appear on your blog after the active voting phase for each week is over.

Gotcha. Being a firs-timer in the LPL I'm not really sure of the etiquette. But I'll simply do what you suggest and run it a week behind.

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »
Gotcha. Being a firs-timer in the LPL I'm not really sure of the etiquette. But I'll simply do what you suggest and run it a week behind.

I plan to do the same thing Martin. Makes for a nice journal of the LPL on our blogs and you can even enter if you won or lost that round ... in my case that will be mostly lost I'm afraid  ;)
25-28mm Pulp / 40K / Babylon 5 : ACTA / Full Thrust / Boardgames / 28mm WWII / Mordheim

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »

Mustering votes is not the done thing  at all, is it? Not among amateur gentlemen painters... One could mention an occasional sordid occurrence from past LPLs but what good would that do?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Don't know if it would actually result in votes for me considering some the of the great entries but I have pointed a few of my various gaming friends at this contest & site.  The work being display on this site in general is inspiring both in terms of creativity and implementation.  It really got me energized to paint my pulp collection of figures again.

I wonder if the LPL contests tend to cause a spurt in new memberships every year.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
Don't know if it would actually result in votes for me considering some the of the great entries but I have pointed a few of my various gaming friends at this contest & site.  The work being display on this site in general is inspiring both in terms of creativity and implementation.  It really got me energized to paint my pulp collection of figures again.

I wonder if the LPL contests tend to cause a spurt in new memberships every year.

That's how I got here  ;)

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2011, 04:15:35 AM »

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
There is a noticeable raise coinciding with LPL and its announcement. We had 121 new members in January 121 and 151 in February 2011. Its the top month so far in LAF's history.

There is a similar but much smaller bell shape around February of last year.

It is not possible to know without polling the reasons for these increases, but surely one suspects that the LPL accounts for a large part of it

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
I just joined for all the pretty pictures & inspiring ideas. This is the best forum I have seen.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
Is it ok to use buildings you have shown before as scenery for newly painted teams?
Do you still get the new team bonus points?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
Yes, as long as the figures are genuinely newly painted (or at least previously unshown) - backdrops or 'props' can be things you've shown before.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »
Man I can't believe the rules thread keeps going.  I didn't break any rules, I did say I was entering and encouraged people to check out all the minis that everyone painted.  I haven't shown a picture of my painted models or even in progress shots, just bare metal, which is rather ironic as I painted bare naked women for the unarmed week.  A better pun would have been perhaps 5 Venus De Milos or however it is spelt.  How come I can't spell spelled?

Is my blog kosher?

http://musksminiatures.wordpress.com/

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2011, 07:59:50 AM »
Not on LAF at all.
Beforehand - Only elsewhere on the Internet if you are not going to claim it as newly painted for 'new' bonus points.
Ideally, just wait until the match is over  :)

That's what I thought was implied.  I think I'm following the rules, I'm not too worried as I don't think I'll win, maybe next year.  I like to paint and blog the progress to keep motivated so I've had to alter my modus operrai for the spirit of the competition.  I'm also going to have to keep digging in my miniature collection for odd models to paint, I know I don't have any Africans...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
I believe the 5th round is Africa,not Africans quite a difference. Can't tell you what I'm doing though,  however no 'Africans' are in it ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.