Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:46:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules  (Read 71691 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »
I believe the 5th round is Africa,not Africans quite a difference. Can't tell you what I'm doing though,  however no 'Africans' are in it ;)

Nah I still got nothing.  I just have mostly fantasy and sci-fi models and most of those are GW.  I have some other figs too, but not always teams of five...  I think I'll just kiss those bonus points goodbye, might try for the round 10 bonus points, as I have more time to plan and convert...

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
I'm also getting a photoshop-kinda-thingie to alter my backgrounds of the pictures I send in. That is allowed isn't it?

Just to put it in the right topic ...  ;)
25-28mm Pulp / 40K / Babylon 5 : ACTA / Full Thrust / Boardgames / 28mm WWII / Mordheim

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
You can use whatever backgrounds you like, treated however you like. Up to you.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »
You can use whatever backgrounds you like, treated however you like. Up to you.

I think he's talking about digital manipulation, and that was always prohibited (except for combining some closeups, cropping images and adding a caption). Allowing that might open a can of worms.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
Digital manipulation of a backdrop image behind the figures is okay I think, Chris. If someone was going to pick up and use, say, a scenic shot of desert or mountains from an image library, then it's highly likely that the original photograph has been subject to all sorts of digital manipulation already!  ;)

I certainly wouldn't suggest any digital manipulation beyond that - although some people do things like airbrushing out the join between figures' bases and scenery. I don't think the rules currently cover such things in any detail, but perhaps they should... Trouble is, where does one draw the line? I don't think there are many of the top painters who don't adjust the exposure, colour balance and so on of the shots you see.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
Digital manipulation of a backdrop image behind the figures is okay I think, Chris. If someone was going to pick up and use, say, a scenic shot of desert or mountains from an image library, then it's highly likely that the original photograph has been subject to all sorts of digital manipulation already!  ;)

I certainly wouldn't suggest any digital manipulation beyond that - although some people do things like airbrushing out the join between figures' bases and scenery. I don't think the rules currently cover such things in any detail, but perhaps they should... Trouble is, where does one draw the line? I don't think there are many of the top painters who don't adjust the exposure, colour balance and so on of the shots you see.

Yes, I see and I don't mean creating a picture to use as a backdrop (i.e. printed out, as a physical item), but removing and replacing parts of a digital image, and that was not really intended, as the League was supposed to be about painting. Basic colour correction etc. should still be allowed, as well as the pasting of detail pics. But the actual images should be left untouched, I think. Otherwise, we'll have people adding eyes, glow effects and stuff, and that detracts from the paintjob.

that said, if the original poster did just mean using the software to produce a printout backdrop, I apologize for suspecting any kind of foul play. :)

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2011, 11:41:50 PM »
My intention was to use the tool to "create" a plain background for my entries. The only place with sufficient light is my garden and I wanted to replace that backdrop with say a black or brown one ...
I tried this with coloured paper, but that didn't work out too good. Except for the guy who lives next to me, he's still sore from laughing too hard!

So no "foul play" intended, but if I understand correctly it is not allowed. I will keep my garden as a background then  ;)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
The "A walk in the country" entry already has a background that has been edited in:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=27137.0

I think it looks spiffy and does not detract from the paintjobs.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »
Given that you can show your team against whatever scenery or backdrop (or no backdrop at all) you like, then if you want to edit in a background image, or 'cut out' the figures so they appear on a neutral background, that's okay.
But manipulation of the image of the subjects themselves (beyond adjusting exposure, contrast, image quality etc) is not okay.
We will make a clear rule on this before the next LPL.

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »
As I am directly involved in this topic, here's 2 cent's my opinion.

If we suppose that the pictures have to be posted without any manipulations, nobody prohibites to itroduce a new rule right now. Better before than after!

in teh next LPL it will be stated from the beginning.
No problem for me.
But I would like to know because I'm ready to post the second and third entries, and they have an added background, althoug in a very lesser dimension than in the first entry. :)

Thank you!!
Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
I think the Captains explanation was fine, you can edit in a background as long as you don't tweak/edit/repaint your models or terrain using software.

A lot of people edit out a neutral background (like a piece of paper) in favour of a computer generated neutral background, it doesn't happen much in the LPL but it happens a lot on CMON (cool mini or not). I think it doesn't detract from the paintjobs.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
I think the Captains explanation was fine, you can edit in a background as long as you don't tweak/edit/repaint your models or terrain using software.

Correct.

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
Thanks Captain.
If I get the programme in time to use it (and manage to use it  :D ), I will add a little notification in the mail I send you for that entry.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but when does the voting for the current round end? I read the rules and couldn't find anything. I take it voting stops when the next rounds entry deadline starts?