Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Paper" Building Advice needed  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
"Paper" Building Advice needed
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
Howdy all!

Being poverty stricken at the moment...and trying to drag my friends into table top wargamming I've been scrounging for cheap terrain pieces.  In my search I came across David Graffam Models and was very impressed with the quality of the images and the flexibility to change surfaces...ie you can print out the same model multiple ways and it looks different.  So I spent $12 and have enough models of buildings and ruins to set up a nice skirmish game.  But please keep in mind that I'm a paper model noob...the last ones I build were the card buildings GW produced in the late 80's...so I'm totally in the dark here.

So my questions are:

What is the best material to build these on? Graffam suggests 110# card stock...but they still seem a bit flimsy to me.  My terrain is going to have to travel with me so I'm hoping it can be fairly sturdy. 

Is foam core the way to ?  My concern there would be with the exposed edges...do you just paint them?  what about rooflines where you score the foam core to bend the roof...it would leave a large open gap right? do you fill that with something?

Is there a better choice than foam core?

If using a thicker card/board that you can't print on directly what is the best way to mount the images? white glue? spray adhesive?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: "Paper" Building Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
I have very little experience with card buildings (I've only built a few of Toposolario's shipping containers and Ikubes), so take this for what it's worth:

I've printed mine on 160 (g/m2) heavy paper, and they seem to be reasonably sturdy. I'm actually more worried about weight.. (Which can be remedied simply by glueing some washers to the bottom).
If you have a glue that doesn't warp the paper too much, you could perhaps double up on your paper?

Foamcore can be used as a backing too, just remember to either bevel the rear of a fold, or remove the layer of foam so you create a "slot" for the other wall to fall into.

Since you mention building on a budget, I'd advise to simply build one or two buildings out of 110# as is, with no extra reinforcements. Use these for a couple of games, don't bother being too gentle with them. That way you can determine just how much extra reinforcement you really need before investing in extra cardstock, foamboard and extra blades.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »
I use foam core or plastic salveged from left over signs. For printing I print on to Avery Full sheet shipping labels that I then put on the foamcore. The shipping label method avoids any warping problems.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
I use foam core or plastic salveged from left over signs. For printing I print on to Avery Full sheet shipping labels that I then put on the foamcore. The shipping label method avoids any warping problems.

Interesting have you got any pics?

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
I've made quite some paper buildings/scenery over the years. (mostly worldworksgames, microtactix, stones edges and germy's)
for simple box-like structures I print on the heaviest my printer can handle : 250 g/m2
for more complex structures or small pipeces I use 160 g/m2 since the heavier tends to crack when folded.

I've seen models printed on photopaper but personaly found that it cracks too easily.

As for strength, foamcore backings do the trick, if you don't intend to create interiors.
a cheaper option is to use cardboard (cereal boxes etc...) for this but keep in mind that large surfaces will warp and you might need to create dividers to glue in your model.

concerning foamcore sides : look for a rabbet cutter. there are models that aren't that expensive. they cut the sides so they nicely fit into each other, hence no exposed foam.
Sides of open structures I cover with paper strips using simple white glue. pic in this thread :http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=27036.msg329345#msg329345
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
Interesting have you got any pics?

No, for me paper buildings are usually a stop gap solution to solving a time crunch. Taking photos would interfere with painting the last twelve figs before everyone shows up in an hour. ;D

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
@Cory,
Great suggestions...I love the idea of the sticker labels...that's genius.  When you say plastic from signs do you mean the corrugated plastic? If so we have tons at work that we use to make custom archival boxes for museum collections. I had never considered it for this purpose.

@all great thanks for the other advice. Since you can print out multiple copies of the things I may just try all the various options.

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 02:41:13 PM »
No not the corrugated but rather a heavy plastic about twice the thickness of 110# cardstock.

Oh, and the sticker idea is not original, someone suggested it to me long ago.