Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:05:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hawk wargames Dropzone commander  (Read 22348 times)

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
Re: Hawk wargames Dropzone commander
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm a little excited for this.
Ok, a lot excited. I squealed like a little girl when I first saw the pics surface.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
The Immortals are lovely, not as big a fan of the Colonial Legionaires though.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
WOW! But why 10mm??? Why not 15, it would be AMAZING! =(

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
"Dave" explains the scale in an almost-excruciating detail in the interview I posted a link to:
http://politicaldice.6sided.net/2012/04/27/dropships-inbound-an-interview-with-hawk-wargames/

Now comes with much imporved readability, I might add.

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »
Wow. Truly beautiful models. I hope they hurry up and release this. July, you say? "Dave" can have my stupid money, all of it. Apparently, he used to be a studio sculptor at Spartan Games.

I've been itching to play something on a smaller scale, and was eyeing off Heavy Gear Blitz, but this looks really sweet. The buildings look really interesting too. Looking forward to a peek at the ruleset. 

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
Wow. Truly beautiful models. I hope they hurry up and release this. July, you say? "Dave" can have my stupid money, all of it. Apparently, he used to be a studio sculptor at Spartan Games.

I've been itching to play something on a smaller scale, and was eyeing off Heavy Gear Blitz, but this looks really sweet. The buildings look really interesting too. Looking forward to a peek at the ruleset.  

The beauty of the Dropzone stuff is that there seems to be quite a variety of styles so there would be no reason why you couldn't throw a mercenary section of gears into the mix.

All this talk of "this should be 15mm" is a little bit self-important if you ask me. I collect 28mm but I understand that there are those who prefer smaller scales. I can see the guys at Hawk being badgered into printing a load of stuff off in 15mm only to realise that they have to compete in a flooded market place. I quite like the idea of 10mm because it has a lot of the bonuses of 6mm without needing an electron microscope for painting. Just because 15mm seems to be en-vogue at the moment doesn't mean that everything should be in 15mm...there is stuff in the Hawk catalogue that I would love to see in 28mm but I wouldn't say that they were making a terrible mistake by not putting stuff out in 28mm.

Vive la difference! I really hope the game lives up to their fantastic miniatures. You never know... the quality of the Hawk stuff might cause a huge flood of 10mm sci-fi products from different manufacturers into the market and they may end up the en-vogue scale. Alternatively, they may form a niche market of their own (especially in the US where Heavy Gear seems to do quite well) and be able to branch out in different scales. It is early days yet and they obviously have a set plan so I for one will sit back and see what happens in July before I start having too many opinions on wherther of not they chose right.

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »
I'd definitely buy some if they had been  in 6mm (or even 15mm for that matter).

I don't have enough space or money for a whole new scale though...

That said, the models look fantastic.
post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 03:33:43 AM »
The portuguese sculptor Navarro went to Salute and took some photos of the Hawk Wargames display. The photos aren't that great, but you can see lots units and buildings:

You can find his report here:

http://mr-bugman.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/salute-2012-coverage-part-1-dropzone.html

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 04:19:16 AM »
 :-*

Well that looks pretty amazing.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
The miniatures are definately beautiful! Am I the only who's getting a bit of a Supreme Commander vibe from seeing the designs and reading about the game?

I certainly hope that the game itself will be interesting!

Offline Isamu

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
I like the flyer and may mix it with my "Heavy Gear" and "Battletech N-Scale"* models. So it seems a nice scale for Mech games.  :-*

*Mainly the former Mechwarrior Clickmechs and a lot of fan made versions!

Offline Chronicler

• Assistant
  • I'm not saying I'm right, just saying you're wrong
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
I think it is a smart move on there part for scaling it to 10mm. Seeing as how the sci-fi market is saturated with 15mm models and now games, there is only one 10mm game thay can compeat with that I can think of (and that is Heavy Gear).

The models themselves are lovely, and has veriaty to each faction. I could get into this 9if I can convince others of course ::) ).

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
 Think 10mm was a good choice - allows for detail whilst giving the option of 'large' forces. If the idea is that all/most forces are transportable (hence Dropzone), the cost in 15mm would be prohibative. It also fills a slot in the gaming Sci-Fi world, as i don't know of any game that concentrates on 'mobile' forces above the standard 'Tin Can Battle Taxi/AIFV' level.

The building's will be most useful - Battletech, Heavy Gear and various other options over and above DzC spring to mind.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius