Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686456
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza - Briar and Bramble Patches - Aug. 2021  (Read 195303 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza - Cherry Tree Added 4/22/13
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »
These ae such concise tutorials I'd like to put them i 'How to'. Do yo mind if I split them and put them there?

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!  :-*
I am a big fan of Japanese wood block prints.
Seeing those trees makes me want to start a Japanese themed project!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
These ae such concise tutorials I'd like to put them i 'How to'. Do yo mind if I split them and put them there?

If you think that would be best, that's fine with me. As long as you use my header in each one ;)

I think when I first created this I missed the 'How To' board. I think you're right, they're more suited to it.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »
Just... BEAUTIFUL!  o_o  :o  :-*

Tanks for sharing.

(Thickets).

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:34 AM »
If you think that would be best, that's fine with me. As long as you use my header in each one ;)

I think when I first created this I missed the 'How To' board. I think you're right, they're more suited to it.

I decided agains splitting the topic. Your banner tells your intention, really.

Splendid work. Beautifully executed. I am sure we are all grateful  you took your time writing these.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »
You are ridiculously talented. That's great work.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
Dr Mathias I am literally blown away by all these tutorials....

Well done Sir :)

Offline Mjolnir

• Librarian
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »
Dr Mathias I am literally blown away by all these tutorials....

Well done Sir :)
Me too

Great tutorials

Now I have to try myself :'(

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »
Nice tutorial :) I do my trees the same way,except for the filter stuff,have to look for some,as for the glitter,very clever!

Arthur Rackham please ;)

Ditto.  I've always wanted to do terrain that looks like his art. 

And I will be using your cherry tree method as well.  Thanks.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 04:48:53 AM »
With the understanding that I plan to do an 'Arthur Rackham' style tutorial in the future, I temporarily digress to something slightly related...

Gnarly Old Tree Tutorial

I wanted a couple more hulking trees for my sylvan setting, and needed a tree that was overgrowing a stone niche for my 'Usagi' entry in the LPL, so I built a few and took pics.

I started these by cutting several pieces off a large branch that dropped off a massive maple tree in my yard. I used a large amount of high-temp hot glue to adhere them to my bases, in this case some Masonite hardboard. I used a drill to bore some holes into the 'trunks' and used the twisted wire method I described earlier in this thread. Hot glue holds the wires in place. These ones have a goofy baobab proportion, which was okay since I wanted a massive thick trunk without the tree being too high off the table. I added a few rocks made from Sculpey, and the large 'stone' being enveloped over time.

My next step is to use a paintable caulk to make roots and smooth the transition from trunk to branches.

While it is still wet and gooey you can use an old brush to smooth out the roots where they transition into the ground, or whatever else you might want to do to manipulate the caulking. Pretty fugly at this stage, don't worry :)

After this has dried overnight, you can use the tissue technique to create a bark like texture. Bathroom tissue, a brush, and some thinned white glue or acrylic polymer medium. If you're careful with your brushwork technique you can mimic the cracks and texture of the bark on the real branch- leave some of the original bark exposed if you can, in order to carry the illusion and help you match color later when you paint.

The memory card on my camera has been acting up and a few pics didn't record properly- if you read the Cherry Tree tutorial, you already know I use furnace filters for the foliage. I tore and snipped off some irregular sections and hot glued them onto the wire branches. Then I spray the foliage with a heavy coat of rust colored spray paint. After that, I base coated the tree and base, mixing a gray-brown to match the real color of the tree. It's kind of fun examining the bark and spattering it with all the various greens, blues, and yellows that appear in reality as lichens, mosses, and weathering. Drybrush highlights on with a lighter color, add basing materials, whatever you want to do. If you're doing some brown on the base, brush a little of that into the tree bark while you're at it... variety is great for that natural look.

Save the final highlight and drybrush until AFTER you've attached the foliage.

To apply foliage, I spray a very heavy coat of olive spray paint from underneath, and then from above. Don't worry if you overspray the trunk- if anything the green will convey a more natural look. Dump flocking material liberally over the still wet paint. The foliage should adhere to the paint. Because there could be a lot of overspray, I follow this step with a final light drybrush over the entire tree. If you've mixed your paint well it should be quite hard to discern what parts are real bark, and which parts are artificial. Study trees :)

My favorite part is gluing on moss, dabbing greens over the trunk, and attaching grass and fallen leaves in the recesses of the roots. This is where the effort pays off and these things start to look great.
Last, I spray the entire tree with clear 'Plasti-Dip' to seal the whole thing up, protect it, and keep the foliage adhered.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:23:15 PM by Dr Mathias »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza - Gnarly Old Tree Added 5/10/13
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »
Once again, just pure art!  :-*

Many many thanks for the tutorial Doc.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Excellent work  :-* :-*

One question, have you had a problem with 'trunks' drying out over time and cracking or hasn't it become an issue yet?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
Great as ever Matt, thanks for the inspiration! :-*

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »
One question, have you had a problem with 'trunks' drying out over time and cracking or hasn't it become an issue yet?
James
It is a concern for sure, good question.
I haven't seen anything like that yet- I did have some sort of burrowing insect(s) still living in one branch one time. I found a little hole and a small pile of sawdust where their home was. Plugged it up, hopefully it wasn't termites  :o

I'd be more worried about the foliage coming off than bark splitting, I think the 'sealing' is an important step and that probably helps retain it. I don't know that Plasti-Dip spray is better than the methods many other people use, which tends to be thinned glue applied with a spray bottle.  

On smaller trees I made many years ago, with thin branches made from real tree instead of wire, I have noticed some brittleness over time- so I now try to pick branches that retain some spring over the long haul. I have a pile of trimmings from some Holly shrubs that I think will work well as its been dead for over a year and is still pretty flexible.

I've considered soaking things in a glycerin solution but I've not tried that for anything other than the fallen leaves I made (which is Oregano that's been dyed with ink and simmered in water with a tbsp of glycerin). That seems to help retain flexibility.

If someone wanted to go nuts with preservation, a little solution of Preventol would probably kill any molds and mildews that might develop. I added that to my Oregano mix once, used too much glycerin (and probably too much Preventol) and the leaves were wet after laying out for several days. I ended up drying them on a baking sheet in the oven and I think I gassed myself.

Being a mad scientist is rough :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:15:45 AM by Dr Mathias »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »

Being a mad scientist is rough :)

Where would we be without a little experimentation  lol

Thank you for the very consise answer  8)

cheers

James