Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space Dwarfs?  (Read 12862 times)

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
Re: Space Dwarfs?
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »

Old question - what details define Swords and Sorcery in Space (aka Science Fantasy I guess) from Science Fiction from Space Opera? 

My thoughts Science Fiction warfare:

Advanced armor (i.e., Power Armor that looks like an enlarged human (or hydrocephalic ape) figure)

Advanced weapons

implied advanced sensors (how to sculpt that is the question for that)

"Jet packs" (also grav belts) whether "hot" or the "cool gas" ones from Star Guard

Technologically advanced non-humans

GRAV Vehicles

Gracias,

Glenn

I agree with you.
In any case it is a matter of style, that is how we see the armies of the future.
For example those Mantic have their own style, which is decidedly different from that of the Dwarfl that has been proposed. This, as I said, it seem to have a decidedly less futuristic style (except the weapon), and therefore more suited for a scenario in current times or in the near future.
Bye,

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
This, as I said, it seem to have a decidedly less futuristic style (except the weapon), and therefore more suited for a scenario in current times or in the near future.
Bye,

The Space Dwarf with the weapon won't be part of the range.

I haven't finished any of the range yet... the one with the armour is the nearest to being finished (and all of the Dwarfs will be similarly equipped). Please don't think that the first sculpt is representative of what will be produced, it isn't. The only reason it was sculpted was for me to get the size and shape of the Dwarf body sorted in my mind... I put clothes on and added a gun just to finish it, nothing more.

The armoured body that I have sculpted looks no less sci-fi than an Infinity trooper or Defiance Games marine... but I guess, until it is actually finished, there will be plenty of speculation as to how it will look.

It seems that there is a misconception that the first sculpt is going to be cast. It isn't and was never intended to be. Once I get a few more bodies finished and have them cast, you will get a better idea of the direction this little project is heading and then it will be much easier for everyone to decide if they are for them or not :).

Sorry if I haven't been clear  :'( ... I was just a bit excited to finally be starting something that I have been thinking about starting for many years :) . Unfortunately, it will be a slow process (I have a full time job with the military and a family to share my time with) but now I have started, I am keen to progress so I hope to get something cast by the end of the year.

workerBee

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
Inso,

Please do not totally reject the possibility of casting the first figure eventually.  There is a lot of potential for a "character" figure like that for SFRPG/Skirmish Objective ("Capture the scientist") purposes.

As always, your call in a free market environment.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
Inso,

Please do not totally reject the possibility of casting the first figure eventually.  

Seconded. Very characterful little guy! Looks like a real grizzled NCO type.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
I have started the next dolly... a lady Dwarf:

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
Please tell me she won't have a beard?

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »
Please tell me she won't have a beard?

This one won't have a head, let alone a beard :).

The ladies will not be getting beards... unless some unscrupulous converter gets hold of one and sculpts a beard on :) .

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
The lady dolly is finished and the next two males are started:

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »
Looking great Inso. I'm really looking forwards to see how these end up, the project looks very promising so far.
Duncan