Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space Dwarfs?  (Read 12860 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Space Dwarfs?
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
I sculpted a space Dwarf... is there a market for some new ones?:

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Re: Space Dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
i like him alot  :o Reminds me of another uniformed Dwarf  lol

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
Why not?
Mantic have a range at present, and it's always good to have a different take on things.
Yours looks semi-civilian, perhaps ship crew or starport security rather than frontline trooper, so could be a niche for him.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
There is most definately a market for them - I'd buy a squad of those in a heartbeat! I like the non-front line look!

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
I'm putting together a Squat retinue for ITEN and I'd buy him to go alongside my Mantic figures
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
Thank you :)

Could you give me your impressions of the rifle? Do you like it? if not, which weapon would you prefer from this selection?:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=armoury~sci%252dfi

I quite like the current gun but I've had a few negative comments about it so I'm putting the question out there :)

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
I like the rifle but everyone will have their own opinions, but weapon swaps are just about the easiest part of figure conversions.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »

Lovely sculpting and nicely proportioned.  The figure looks more modern rather than sci-fi to me, which is fine and all, but it isnt what I would want from a space dwarf.  I would rather a more high tech look.

But thats just personal preference. Thats a cool figure whatever way you look at it.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »

Lovely sculpting and nicely proportioned.  The figure looks more modern rather than sci-fi to me, which is fine and all, but it isnt what I would want from a space dwarf.  I would rather a more high tech look.

But thats just personal preference. Thats a cool figure whatever way you look at it.

I will re-iterate that this is a test sculpt to get proportions more than anything... the kit will be up-graded to a more ultra-modern/sci-fi look when I sculpt more of them.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
I think he looks great! Very characterful, very dwarfy and very up-to-date as well. I'm not too fond of the weapon choice either. I personally rather like the shotgun second from left from this set:
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=squad-support-weapons~hfl001&category=armoury~sci%252dfi

It is of course your call though 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »
That is a grenade launcher... but it is still very small. The problem I have is that I have t be careful with size without having to sculpt stuff myself... so there is a limit to which ones I can use and the one I have chosen so far is probably one of the bigger ones... especially because I don't want to use Grymn weapons (and the Grymn pulse-gun is about the right size).

I may end up sculpting empty hands at this rate... and I really don't want to do that :(

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 07:26:10 AM »
Thank you :)
Could you give me your impressions of the rifle? Do you like it? if not, which weapon would you prefer from this selection?:
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=armoury~sci%252dfi
I quite like the current gun but I've had a few negative comments about it so I'm putting the question out there :)
I like the sculpt but i do have to say, even before i saw this question, the gun is what stuck out to me as what i didn't like. As for the link, i didn't really wanna pick anything from them. None of them jumped out. I liked the Grymn gun the most, and the Bohkin. Always reminded me of the UMP40. :-)
Maybe the KWS1aP? http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=kws1ap~hfl036&category=armoury~sci%252dfi
How about the Kriss SMG? http://www.kriss-usa.com/  Been a fan of this weapon system since i first saw it a couple of years ago. Been aching to see this in a model line i would buy. :-)

Grimm

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Maybe think about what range of figures you want this guy to compliment and use a similar gun design.

I am not really aiming these at a game... I just want to test the waters with a few casts (haven't done this before so I need to see how the system works).

I know that the GW Squat crowd will want bolters/lasguns and berserks with exo-armour clad leaders... but I am just keen to get a few sculpted that look functional as troops.

After a lot of feedback, I am tempted to take the empty hand approach... right hand with a pistol grip, left hand open to support a stock. The trouble is that the left hand won't be gripping the weapon but I guess it gets rid of the gun arguments.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
I think he looks great! Very characterful, very dwarfy and very up-to-date as well. I'm not too fond of the weapon choice either. I personally rather like the shotgun second from left from this set:
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=squad-support-weapons~hfl001&category=armoury~sci%252dfi

It is of course your call though 8)

ANow I like the one in the centre, great work Inso, some lovely putty pushing and certainly sure ot be a winner, keep going mate :D

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Legs done on the next one:

Another basic pose but I plan on finishing the body and leaving the head/arms off to get some blanks cast. Once I am happy that the body is right, I'll make a few more in different poses (without heads/arms) to use as blanks as well.

Each blank can be used to create a number of different miniatures... so I can build a range quite quickly... which will be nice.

Things are moving slowly... but they are moving :)