Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686445
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dux Bellorum for WotR (or other WotR rules)?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
Dux Bellorum for WotR (or other WotR rules)?
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »
Hello all,

I think I recall seeing a battle report for someone that used Dux Bellorum for WotR or similar ... has anyone out there done this?  If so, any suggestions on making the rules WotR compatible?

I'm not 100% committed to using Dux Bellorum ... just got the rulebook since it has high praise ... looking at Hail Caesar, A Coat of Steel (seems very interesting) ... happy to field other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jay

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Dux Bellorum for WotR (or other WotR rules)?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
I think you're thinking of Dux Britanniarum... a couple of people have worked away on that, myself included. Hail Caesar would also work fine (as would Pike and Shotte even), it all depends what you are looking for in a game.

This will point you in the right direction for stuff on Dux Brit anyway... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48135.0

Skirmish games are another way to go and Silent Invader's home-grown set give a decent, easy game... http://www.miniaturemojo.co.uk/freedownloads/mM_rules_wotr_vers-3.5.pdf (Free).

A Coat of Steel looks like a really good set (especially as it's free) and a lot of effort has gone into giving them period flavour. I've never tried them though, but I've heard no complaints either.

:)

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
It depends how you like to play your games.
For skirmishes, Lord of the Rings strategy battle game and Dux Britanniarum are my choices. Silent Invader's rules are for bigger games, and Dux Bellorum is quite like Impetus i've heard. I think Coat of Steel is a battle sized game too.

Offline Rhodes

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »
I have picked up Brink of Battle and Chris Peers' By the Sword as possibilities for Wars of the Roses skirmish.  Sadly, I haven't had an actual game yet, so I can't really rate them.

I also picked up Terry Gore's Medieval Warfare, which seems to have a flexible basing scheme.   There are provisions for single based figures, as well as multi-based figures.

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »
great stuff Luddite 8)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »

Great stuff! I shall try these out when my copy of Bux bel arrives

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
For War of the Roses the Peter Pig "Bloody Barons" set is my favourite, it is designed for 15mm, but could be adapted, its simple and has the flavour of the period, I have compared it to WHAB and Hail Caesar and it does benefit from being specific to the period, with plenty of "flavour enhancements" such as late deployments and in the pre-game set up you can mess with the loyalty of the opponents army.