Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting a Medieval Castle Display  (Read 4656 times)

Offline TabletopWorkshop

• Assistant
    • Tabletop Workshop Facebook
Painting a Medieval Castle Display
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
Hi, so we've just finishing off our design which is a medieval castle display. We want to showcase this in the office but the problem is our painting skills aren't the best. Anyone painted medieval fortifications before have any ideas on paints and tips for painting? Also we'd love it if anyone had any ideas in how to decorate our display to make the castle look better!
Cheers, Dan
Follow our blog:
http://tabletopworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/03/3d-printing-scanning-services.htm

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Painting a Medieval Castle Display
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
It would help to have an image of the castle or part of the castle.  
My general rule of thumb is to approximate the color pallet of the rock that I am trying to imitate.  Generally I prime black and then work highlights up.  With a stone texture it should bring out the texture well.  Another thing that is helpful is to use a varied color pallet.  Mix highlights with varying shades of brown and gray all over the whole build.   Using the multiple colors makes the stones look like they have weathered together.
For the basing, That is up to you.  I always try to vary the vegetation because most areas do not have a nicely planted and manicured lawn.  Again seeing the base will give me a better basis for making suggestions.
Snitchy sends.  
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
Decide on a colour scheme first - Bolton or Scarborough look different to Burg Elz.

Aren't you based in North Yorks?
If you want it painted, fetch it to our school club and I'll ask the art teacher to help out.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline TabletopWorkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »
Thanks for the help. We'll try and get an image up soon. I know it's not ideal! And thanks for offering the school club. We think we're going to give it a go ourselves first using the research we've done but if it comes out crap we'll certainly consider getting in contact. We're at Leyburn. Right at the other end of the Moors.  :(

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
Leyburn isn't so far from Scarborough.

Take a good look at Castle Bolton, Barnard Castle, Richmond for ideas on painting.
Depending on the style of castle of course.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »
I did a castle siege as the central piece for my 15mm medieval collection.  Despite the fact that it is for 15mm figures, the castle covers a large area.  I gave it a base coat of flat black and then drybrushed it with several coats of gray getting increasingly lighter in color with each coat.  You can see the end result at www.warin15mm.com/Medieval-.html

Offline TabletopWorkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14:37 PM »
Yeah that seems to be the general advice I've gotten so thanks! The castle looks great.
And fastolfrus We're basing our design at the minute on Bodiam Castle. Just trying to figure out how we're painting at at this current stage!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
To paint stonework, after the undercoat I do a dark grey in splotches covering mostof the surface. Then I do some green splotches. Then I do some sparse light grey splotches. I let that dry. Then, I water down some black gesso to about 50/50 and paint over the entire surface. I let it sit for about 30 seconds then dab away at it with a paper towel. This leaves the black in between the bricks, and evens out the rest of the paint.

Once dry it should be a lot darker. I then get the light grey and dry brush top to bottom with small, straight strokes.

Offline Elladan

• Bookworm
    • elladan.de
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
Hello,

some times ago I painted the ruined Cathedral from Armorcast. This was painted to represent sandstones. I don't know if this is the result you are looking for. Here is a pictures of a finished piece:

I did a step-by-step tutorial with many pictures and informations about the used colours and paintingtechnices. You can find the tutorial here => http://www.elladan.de/050%20Ruined%20Cathedral/050.htm

Hopefully this will help

Ciao

Elmar

http://www.elladan.de/

http://www.stronghold-terrain.de/
I love beautiful terrain.

Offline TabletopWorkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »
It's a beautiful piece of scenery Elladan but we're looking for something a with a touch more grey instead of sandstone. Nevertheless, great effort though!