Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for random Native attacks similar to Mammalian Mayhem ?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
Are there any rule sets useable for exploration in the Dark Continent that feature random dice or card generated attacks by Natives that is similar to, or can be incorporated into, Mammalian Mayhem rules (possibly all so adding discovering lost treasures etc along the way) ?
I like the idea of 2-3 players controlling an explorer & a bearer or two each and to have to get safely from one table edge to another but having no control over what adventures might befall them on their travels.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
Re: Rules for random Native attacks similar to Mammalian Mayhem ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
No but...

I was working on a system for a very different game where I wanted all of the players to be on one side and to have a degree of randomness to the opposition. The result of my musing was to place a number of cards on the playing surface; each card would have an "encounter" on the facedown side. The "encounter" can be whatever you want it to be and should ideally include some blanks. In the game I planned cards included enemy units, minefields, indirect fire and air attacks

...for a colonial style game I guess you could have traps, ambushes, unseen opponents shooting once and then running away, wild animal attacks, remnants of a previous expedition (if living these might reinforce you - if dead you might loot the remains). You can put some structure into the cards by putting aside 1/4 to 1/3 of the cards and shuffling the treasure or objectives into those and then putting the other 2/3 to 3/4 of the cards on top of those before distributing them about the playing surface (working away from the start point of course).

The game is then structured such that players have to move from card to card and can't simply bypass them.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »
Hobbit, did you envisage that these random event cards would be placed on the gaming board at regular distances equel to the figures movement rate so that there was a guarenteed 'event' each turn (so you get movement - land on the card -, action/shoot, reaction etc) ?
Or is an 'event' each turn going to be too much for our intrepid explorers to endure ?

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »
I wrote a jungle exploration type scenario for a pulp campaign where certain actions (firing a weapon, moving from one terrain area to another, lighting a fire, etc.) required the player to pull an encounter card.

The encounter cards allowed for buildings, clues, reinforcements, treasures, traps, ruins, and noises in the underbrush. If the noises in the underbrush card was pulled another player drew from the noises deck and played the card appropriately. The noises deck had hostile natives, various wild animals, deranged explorer gone native, cannibals, pillaging monkey troops, Tarzan, an amorous and lost Amelia Earheart, and spies. Most of the noise card results were placed as a hidden token often with the result that several tokens might follow any given group.

This let players interfere with each other without having to risk losing their own force.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
I wrote a jungle exploration type scenario for a pulp campaign where certain actions (firing a weapon, moving from one terrain area to another, lighting a fire, etc.) required the player to pull an encounter card.

The encounter cards allowed for buildings, clues, reinforcements, treasures, traps, ruins, and noises in the underbrush. If the noises in the underbrush card was pulled another player drew from the noises deck and played the card appropriately. The noises deck had hostile natives, various wild animals, deranged explorer gone native, cannibals, pillaging monkey troops, Tarzan, an amorous and lost Amelia Earheart, and spies. Most of the noise card results were placed as a hidden token often with the result that several tokens might follow any given group.

This let players interfere with each other without having to risk losing their own force.
This is promising...  :)

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
As I said the original was intended for something very different indeed - a night time attack on a fixed defensive position for a modern wargame. All of the attackers would be played, whereas the defence would be largely system controlled. The idea was to have several "layers" of defence (let us say 3 or 4 layers, each of 8 cards). Each layer would include a mix of blank cards and some "combat encounters" (lets say 3 blanks, 2 minefields, 2 infantry platoons and an MG post).

Cards would be placed onto the playing surface, a move would be from card to card. If the encounter was with an enemy unit then that encounter would be resolved with normal miniatures rules, but once a single turn had been played out each of the other players got their move. Putting the cards onto the playing surface creates the illusion that players have a degree of control where they go whereas drawing cards from a deck simply gives you whatever is on top. In the game I was working on it also allowed you to place cards on likely enemy defensive positions. Probably sounds much more complicated than it really is!

For a game with trails running through the jungle you could, of course, lay out trails instead of layers, but I'd include quite a few opportunities to switch trails so that players don't feel railroaded.

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Ahhh, memories....I used to do this sort of thing back in the days when the old lead was a lot cheaper (or appeared to be lol).
Mine were just a re-hash of the old 'Pony Wars' rules published back in the 80's by Tabletop games then revamped by the late great Peter Gilder for his Sudan games.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
That's a point, doesn't A Good Dusting (or The Devil's Wind) operate with the Umpire controlling the Native contingent? Could that be the basis of what you have in mind?
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
That's a point, doesn't A Good Dusting (or The Devil's Wind) operate with the Umpire controlling the Native contingent? Could that be the basis of what you have in mind?
Yes, there are systems in place in A Good Dusting and Washing The Spears for random native appearance, movement and attacks.
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/