Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dead Man's Hand vs Fistful of Lead  (Read 10233 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Dead Man's Hand vs Fistful of Lead
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
I've heard that the two rulesets are very much alike.

Is that right, or not, please?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline greatescapegames

• Scientist
    • Great Escape Games
Re: Dead Man's Hand vs Fistful of Lead
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
As far as I know, both use cards for initiative but in a very different way. FoL models take "wounds", in DMH the "wounds" can go up and down. I think in FoL you have a hit roll then a "to wound" roll and I don't think there were many modifiers for cover, moving, etc. DMH is a single roll after applying modifiers. Lots of emphasis in DMH on the special cards that affect the game with cards specific to the gang (Cowboys, Lawmen, etc.). Both are influenced by a movie gaming style.
Publisher of "Clash of Empires" Ancient and Medieval wargaming rules, and "Rules of Engagement", WW2 wargaming in 28mm, at www.greatescapegames.co.uk

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
Glad somebody else brought this up. I didn't want to sound like jerk. Deadman's Hand is eerily similar to my Fistful of Lead rules I published back in 2001. I actually had people on the FfoL Yahoo group ask if Deadman's Hand was a supplement to Fistful of Lead.
- Card driven
- Special cards granting abilities
- Simplified weapon charts
- Wounds can go up and down with use of cards
- Ammo tracking is nil right down to the only out of ammo by rolling a "1".
DMH has 3 moves on activation instead of 2. Card assignment is slightly different. There is use of a d20 instead of d10. DMH is has much more grit and breaks games up into acts.
Mine's a helluva lot cheaper. I guess I should be flattered?
-J

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »
I don't have DMH rulebook, but I did bought the FoL pdf years ago, and FoL rules are just GREAT.

And, this "similarity" issue has appeared in other forums already.

We have to be aware that there's only a certain amount of ways we can throw dice, count successes or "hits", measure ranges or movement, etc. in a wargame, but when 2, 3, 4 and more things in a rulebook are quite similar to a previously published work, I think this "eerie similarity" deserves our attention as a gaming community.

Best wishes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:12:47 PM by magokiron »
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
but I did bought the FoL pdf years ago, and FoL rules are just GREAT.

+1

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
I purchased FoL a few weeks ago only and it is a great set of rules : Simple and Efficient. I have played it with two of my sons (12 and 8 ) and now they are able to play by themselves with only a translated summary sheet.

I don't like the commercial concept of Dead Man's Hand where you have to purchased mini to get posses cards.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:42:26 PM by Treebeard »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »
You don't need to buy the figures to play the game. Although I have because they're really nice.  :D

All the cards and rules you need are included in with the rulebook.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Ok probably a misunderstanding.

I'm confused by : "Boxed gang of Lawmen including special rules card and bases"

These special rules cards are include in the basic deck that comes with the rules ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:42:45 PM by Treebeard »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »
This is something I'm always a bit..wary of.

I like to create rule sets...but I haven't played a lot of what's out there.  I'm always curious if I've made a copy of something without being aware of it.  Heck, 13 years ago I made a WW1 flying game using 1/72nd scale models and a system of scribbling down moves, revealing them, and then shooting if you were in LOS/range etc.  Then Wings of War showed up...and I thought "damn, why didn't I try to publish mine!".

Even two people in completely different places can come up with the same stuff.  I don't have FOL nor DMH but I'm curious to see how close they are.  From what I can tell neither are like SnS...but then I've heard some people say that Deadlands uses a similar dice system to SnS.  They'd have to be pretty darn similar before I get really concerned.  Does anyone own both?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
I don't think the gang specific cards are included in the deck that comes with the rulebook. But all the rules for the gangs including the 'special' rules are in the book.

So as long as you are capable of referencing the page while playing or scribbling them down on a piece of paper to remind you it's not an issue.  :D

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Gents,
I got a PM from Stuart, the author of DMH. Seems like a decent, stand up guy. If he says there's no connection bewtween the two rule sets, that's good enough for me.
Fistful of Lead was written because a guy running a Wild West game at a con was a jerk to me 20 years ago. I didn't write them to make money, that's why they're so cheap.
DMH has more "meat" if you will. FfoL was written with tons of players (and young ones, too) in mind.
People can buy what they want, and decide what's best for them.
-J

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Gents,
I got a PM from Stuart, the author of DMH. Seems like a decent, stand up guy. If he says there's no connection bewtween the two rule sets, that's good enough for me.
Fistful of Lead was written because a guy running a Wild West game at a con was a jerk to me 20 years ago. I didn't write them to make money, that's why they're so cheap.
DMH has more "meat" if you will. FfoL was written with tons of players (and young ones, too) in mind.
People can buy what they want, and decide what's best for them.
-J

Have no real interest in Wild West rules really - but that's very decent of both involved parties. Nice work gentlemen.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline greatescapegames

• Scientist
    • Great Escape Games
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
I don't think the gang specific cards are included in the deck that comes with the rulebook. But all the rules for the gangs including the 'special' rules are in the book.

So as long as you are capable of referencing the page while playing or scribbling them down on a piece of paper to remind you it's not an issue.  :D

Yup, that's spot on Ray.
And thanks to Jaye for a very reasonable reply.

Stuart

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
So, similar, but not identical.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Offline greatescapegames

• Scientist
    • Great Escape Games
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
No, Argonor, similar in design objective, - simple mechanics, cinematic - that's all. Some things - cards and out of ammo results that are used in other systems, such as TRWNN, LoTOW, FfoL and more, are related but what would any Old West game be without playing cards and out of ammo results!