Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 756
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN rules query 4 handed weapons  (Read 2001 times)

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
IHMN rules query 4 handed weapons
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
If a 2 man crew of an mg loses a man can it still fire?
Can another figure take the place of the dead man
If all crew are killed can enemy use the 4 handed weapon?

Andy

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: IHMN rules query 4 handed weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
Q1. If a 2 man crew of an mg loses a man can it still fire?
A1. 5.2.1 Hands required: "a figure using a four-handed weapon on its own can either Move of Shoot during a turn, not both."

Q2. Can another figure take the place of the dead man?
A2. No. It takes special training to use most four-handed weapons.

Q3. If all crew are killed can enemy use the 4 handed weapon?
A3. For simplicity's sake, no.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »
Thanks craig.  Forgot the 1st answer was in the book.

Wasn't sure whether you would go for recrews or not.  For example in theory it MAY not be too difficult to fire a flamethrower, don't know never tried it, but fairly sure most soldiers would claim ignorance if it was suggested they put it on and have a go!!!

Same theme, just got the Spartan games teutonic knights boxed set. Great models, going to use one as a Thule walker. Has a machine gun and a power fist.  Can it both shoot and fight in the same turn?  I think the rules were kind of intended that if you had a knife and a pistol you could try and shoot your assailant then attack him with a knife in the same turn?  Will the same hold true for a walker.

If so does he have to fire his machine gun at the person he is fighting?

Ta

Andy

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »
I refer you to 3.3.4 Shooting while in a fight. I think that it is fairly clear, and yes, a walker counts as a 'figure'.

As for it not being too difficult to fire a flamethrower... early flame throwers had to be operated by highly trained men because you had to had pump the tanks to get to the right pressure depending on how much flammable liquid was left in the tank and how far and how long you wish to fire it. You had to activate the igniter just as you released the pressure and turn it off just before you stopped, as well as operating a cut-off valve to stop the flame going back up the pipe and into the tanks. This was especially dangerous when the tanks were low and thus full of fumes. The operator was also responsible for maintaining his equipment for the same reason paratroopers fold their own parachutes...

In WWI every flamethrower operator was accompanied by two riflemen who's job it was to keep the enemy's heads down while the operator tried to balance all this. 

One British Sergeant compared it to playing the bagpipes except that at any moment if you hit the wrong note you would be the one on fire, not the enemy.

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
Thanks, just getting all my ducks in a row for Wednesdays game....

Though to be honest we are using basic Thule and Scotland yard factions, not painted the Thule walker yet. Have almost finished the ironclad minis armoured steam car.  Brilliant model, much more basic than most of the other steampunk stuff out there, which makes it look more authentic.  Only going to use it as scenery on Wednesday. Modelling it with turret hatch open, going to put a bobby from westwind in it but they haven't arrived yet. @(Can't waste the official bobbies in this way!!

Andy

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
Craig,

I think the logical reading of the rule which says you may only fire a "1 handed weapon" is that a walker figure could not fire a machine gun because it is rated as a 4 handed weapon.

Of course on a walker it is carried by a single hand so could be considered a "pistol" to a walker.....

I am going to assume you can't fire the machine gun in combat even though it is only carried in one army of the walker. Is that correct?  I think it could be argued either way?

Andy