Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690845
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Interesting KS that could make a good Cthuhu dungeon crawl  (Read 2124 times)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Interesting KS that could make a good Cthuhu dungeon crawl
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473667415/mythical-lairs-the-next-step-in-dungeon-terrain?ref=category

The sewers are cool, I could see some interesting games of Strange Aeons on these...
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
Re: Interesting KS that could make a good Cthuhu dungeon crawl
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
All that stuff is made from some Hirst Arts molds. You can get Smoothcast 300 for 20$US a quart and the molds for 34$ each. The Itar's Dungeon stuff is the same as well, which I almost bought.

I ended up blowing wAy too much money on Dwarven Forge Kickstarter instead.

Pics of "Strange Aeons: The Statement of Randolph Carter" to follow in November.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:37 PM »
All that stuff is made from some Hirst Arts molds. You can get Smoothcast 300 for 20$US a quart and the molds for 34$ each. The Itar's Dungeon stuff is the same as well, which I almost bought.

I ended up blowing wAy too much money on Dwarven Forge Kickstarter instead.

Pics of "Strange Aeons: The Statement of Randolph Carter" to follow in November.

Not quite the same, these and the Itar pieces are cast in types of resin not any form of plaster.

The Mythical Lairs one is OK if you live in USA and if you do not need the floor tile grids. Shipping costs are horrendous for European backers and if you look at the various rooms and corridors they offer the floor tiles do not match up, some entrances are full 2x1" tile wide and others 1x1" & 2x1/2", either the grid or the walls are always going to be out of line. Looks as if it has been put forward in a bit of a rush without really working through the design.

If you are interested in pre-made sets like these, take a look at the Itar's Workshop Kickstarter and compare the amount of pieces and modularity you get for your money, along with the Egyptian, Oriental and Mesoamerican style accessories to fill them out.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554948184/itars-workshop-dungeon-terrain
Although the KS has ended the pledge manager is open for another 6 days so you can still join the project via PayPal and get the same deal.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:00:36 PM by robh »

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
Smoothcast 300 is resin. I've made a bunch of really neat stuff with those Hirst Arts molds using it.

Offline Kimi

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
Hi. I'm Kimberly Johnson, founder of Mythical Lairs. I saw this post, and felt that I needed to clarify a few misconceptions. Yes, all of our products at present are created from Hirst Arts molds. Once the Kickstarter is complete and obligations are met, we will be adding original designs as well, but that's what we're starting out with. The items pictured in the Kickstarter are proto-types and labeled as such. What this means, as explained on both our site and in the KS text, is that the molds for the final products will be in solid pieces (much as is industry standard) and that is where the floors will be leveled and raised to coordinate with the industry standard height as well. Hirst Arts measure at 1/4" high, whereas most every other terrain builder (with the possible exceptions of Itar's and Legendary Realms - I'm not certain if they adjust the Hirst floor height or not) are a bit higher. This adjustment is made when the "whole piece" molds are developed, which is why it's not apparent on the prototypes. The purpose of the Kickstarter is to allow the purchase of the mold making materials.

...if you look at the various rooms and corridors they offer the floor tiles do not match up, some entrances are full 2x1" tile wide and others 1x1" & 2x1/2", either the grid or the walls are always going to be out of line.

All entryways and passages are a standard 2" wide. The Hirst model was followed exclusively on these, and once we were about halfway through them, we decided we didn't care for the hallway layout - Hirst has you place 3 1" tiles side by side, which results in a hallway that, while 2" wide, is divided into 1/2", 1" and 1/2". This is one of the things that will be modified during the mold construction, allowing each hallway to show the 2 1" tiles side by side, rather than partial inches. It just seems to make more sense to us to do it that way - but there will always be people of differing opinions on these things. The only item that has a width different than the standard 2" is the footpath that goes with the Skull Bridge. This was an addition we felt was needed in order to facilitate multi-level dungeons, and given the bridge, only a 1" path would work. Everything else has 2" openings.

While the proto-type pieces are made from a plaster compound, the final pieces will be cast using a custom blend of resin, urethane and gypsum. At our most recent test, it took hammering them with great force to get them to break, while providing both a more realistic stone feel than pure resin and making the surface more acceptable of different types of paint.

Thank you for your interest in our Kickstarter. If you have any more questions, please feel free to visit our website forum or reply here.

Kimi

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
...snip...The Hirst model was followed exclusively on these, and once we were about halfway through them, we decided we didn't care for the hallway layout - Hirst has you place 3 1" tiles side by side, which results in a hallway that, while 2" wide, is divided into 1/2", 1" and 1/2". This is one of the things that will be modified during the mold construction, allowing each hallway to show the 2 1" tiles side by side, rather than partial inches.....snip

I think that is certainly the right decision,  I have never understood why the Hirst models do it the other way.
Good luck with the KS Kimi.