Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Project: More Pics Added!  (Read 24670 times)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Dungeon Crawl Project: More Pics Added!
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
THE blame for my abiding addiction to this peculiar hobby of ours may be laid squarely with HeroQuest, which I received for Christmas '89.  Prior to this I had read The Hobbit, the Chronicles of Prydain and seen Willow at the cinema, so I was already pretty far gone up the fantasy path .  Consequently I've always had a soft spot for fantasy gaming and, in particular, the classic 'dungeon bash'.  After seeing various inspiring scenery and miniature projects by the excellent members of this forum over the preceding year and noting that Red Box Games were having a rather generous sale I recently threw caution to the wind and splurged out on some stuffs to kick-start my own DB project.  

Having also owned Advanced HeroQuest I decided that modular corridor and room pieces were the way to go and decided to use pre-cast Hirst Arts Flagstone Flooring (sourced from here).  Each pack contains enough pieces to make 12 1" squares so I decided that each floor section should contain, erm, 12 squares!  They are based on 3mm thick foam PVC from Antenocitis'.  More pieces and doors will be added in due course, including some cracked tile room sections.  Oh yes, and I've also just bought some furniture from Thommy at Thomarillion, who is an absolute bloody star.  Apologies for the shite photos, but they were taken with a borrowed camera as I'm currently in the process of sorting out a new (decent) one.

Miniature-wise I'm using a core of Red Box with monstrous additions from Ral Partha, Otherworld, Heresy, OOP Citadel et cetera.  Here's what I've managed thus far:

Next up is more Red Box Goblins and some Ral Partha Trolls and Ogres.  Some Ebob spiders are also on the way.

For rules I started with SBH but felt the random activation didn't somehow suit the dungeon bash ethos/atmosphere and have ended up modifying the hell out of Coreheim.  It works an absolute treat and I've managed to work in Races, Classes and Advancement in true classic DnD fashion to add longevity.  Comments and critiques are of course welcome!  

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:18:13 AM by Funghy-Fipps »

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Dungeon Bash Project: The Beginning! (Lots of Pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
Looks good.
I see someone else is fond of the Red Box Games models... :)

I would like to see some more irregularity on the dungeon terrain. Maybe adding some straws of flock or just plain sand would do it on some of the dungeon tiles.
But I guess you allready started to think in that direction.

Great start.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Looks like an impressive start.  :-*

Can we see a picture of some of the models on the floor sections to get a sense of how they look together?
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
You're off to a great start. I especially like the goblins. I'm looking forward to seeing more. And to hearing about your Coreheim modifications.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
That makes three of us in agreement...a GREAT START! I love the little archers...now those are fine looking noses.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:32:36 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
Great start, Mr F-F!

Nice board pieces and great work on the figures.
I agree with Engel about a bit of variation, but you have plenty of time to do that later.
You mentioned furniture for your board; Dolls house furniture in the right scale can be very cheap and allow you to spend the pennies on really important stuff, like miniatures!
Check out this link for cheap dolly-chairs etc;

http://www.mollys-house.co.uk/1%2B48th+Scale+Furniture+PWNETXdBVE02a25jdmRXWjBGMlk

It is plastic, hence the low price, but it paints up quite well.

A friend of mine has been threatening to do something similar for Warhammer Quest or Descent but never actually does anything about it.
I will show him your work and shame him into pulling his finger out!
The slacker!

Great work, will be watching your progress with interest....

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
Despite missing the obvious dungeon accessory -  a bookcase full of goblin and ghoul reading material - it is a worthy dungeon indeed.  Woe betide any fule who enters...

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
Jolly nice stuff there Fippsy old chap! Needs more monsters though!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Jolly nice stuff there Fippsy old chap! Needs more monsters though!

Well, all adventurers have to start somewhere, Phreedh old fellow.  Actually, I just the other day received this multi-headed monstrosity from some poor soul on ebay (in mint condition, too!).  He's now stuck together, green-stuffed and awaiting an undercoat as I write.  Mind you, I don't intend to confront newbie heroes with the blighter!  He'll have to wait in the wings for a bit until they're capable of handling such a ferocious creature.

Thanks for the tips re. furniture, Mason.  I was going to build some tables from balsa scraps, but cheap read-made alternatives are even better!  As I said, I've already ordered some bits from Thomarillion (a couple of bookcases, a throne and a wardrobe). 

I agree that the tiles do look a bit 'dull', but once they're populated with doors, furniture, chests and, of course, creatures they look much more interesting.  Also, when I get some of the Hirst cracked tiles flooring I can get creative and do some chequered patterns. 

The Coreheim mod is almost finished and I may upload it as a PDF when all is in order.  I have to say I'm really happy with how its turned out thus far.

Thanks for all comments and I will endeavour to add some updates shortly*. 

*Please don't ask me to define 'shortly'. 

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 04:05:08 AM »
It's a great looking project--keep it up! :)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »
I agree with my fello lafers! Go ahead, you're off to a good start. And I really dig those minis, man!
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Ranger322

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »
What casting material are you using for your floor pieces? I've considered getting into the Hirst molds, but the dental plaster he mentions is OH! so expensive...

The project is looking great! I've a friend who makes dungeons out of Hirst molds...but he builds the entire room in sections, i.e. a wall section attached to a floor section in sort of an 'L' shape...lets him make larger or smaller rooms as needed.

Bart

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:38 PM »
What casting material are you using for your floor pieces? I've considered getting into the Hirst molds, but the dental plaster he mentions is OH! so expensive...

I'm actually buying them pre-cast as I don't really have the workspace to fool around with dental plaster (which is a shame as one of my best chums is a dental technician).  They're pretty cheap to buy pre-cast and there're plenty of companies in the States who make 'em (see here).  If you need a lot then it could potentially get expensive, which is why I've just stuck to basic floor-plans.  There are some really nice and epic Hirst dungeons out there, but most of these are beyond my meagre price and storage capabilities!       

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 02:29:37 PM »
Nice dungeon tiles and excellent miniatures - looking forward to seeing a few game write ups.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
'Troll sat alone on his seat of stone,
And munched and mumbled a bare old bone;
For many a year he had gnawed it near,
For meat was hard to come by.
Done by! Gum by!
In a cave in the hills he dwelt alone,
And meat was hard to come by.'

~ Samwise Gamgee

I'd like to introduce two of my newest dungeon inmates: a couple of Bob Olley/Ral Partha Trolls.  I've always been aware that much literary and gaming 'fantasy' is derived from North-West European myth and folklore and so adore the convincing Scandinavian look of Bob's Trolls.  They really bring to mind the atmospheric work of artists like Bauer and Kittelsen.  Anyway, enough of me prattling on* and on to the models:

I've also made some trap markers using Citadel undead shield bosses and Fenris clear bases.  These are to represent traps that have been discovered by adventurers, but have not been disarmed or are 'permanent' (pit traps and the like). 

Next up are half-a-dozen RBG Goblin spearmen and someThomarillion furniture.  Stay tuned and, as usual, your comments are appreciated.

* You may blame Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale for that...