Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683443 times)

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11955 on: October 26, 2022, 09:09:55 AM »
That guardsman is an absolute unit. I almost wonder if there's a member of the design team secretly upping the scale on everything as a very long winded way to get inquisitor back.

It all makes sense now lol

A shame as that height makes them almost ludicrously large compared to any other range.
Sadly, Star Wars Legion and the new Infinity figures have all shown the same scale creep and I'm fairly sure they'll work alongside each other.

What sort of Game Universe that would create, however, is anyone's guess ???

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11956 on: October 26, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
It's a widely known fact that all of those designers and sculptors are members of the Action Man Cabal, secretly working towards bringing back the masculine Barbie dolls from back in the day.

It is foretold that the process will become irriversible once genuine cloth will be used for clothing articles...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11957 on: October 26, 2022, 11:00:01 AM »
They get much larger and Hasbro will be punting a cease and desist at them for getting to close to their GI Joe and Action man product ranges..

By then it might well be cheaper to just buy GI Joe or action man anyway, and save on painting them..

;D

https://www.actionman.com/

https://uk.hasbropulse.com/collections/g-i-joe-toys-action-figures

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11958 on: October 26, 2022, 04:44:01 PM »
See at the same time, this doesn't look so bad size wise to me?

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Minus

• Assistant
« Reply #11959 on: October 27, 2022, 01:49:59 AM »
I almost wonder if there's a member of the design team secretly upping the scale on everything as a very long winded way to get inquisitor back.

It's GW, it's to sell more paint right? Which have decreased in size over time haven't they... lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11960 on: October 27, 2022, 03:26:30 AM »
As someone who never got into 40K, but kind of enjoyed seeing some of the models over the years (some not so much), I do actually quite like the 'Action Man' (GI Joe to everyone outside the UK) feel of the Imperial Guard - it appeals to my love of toy soldiers after all. But the size ... what are they now, 35mm? 40mm? Wasn't the whole point of making the Space Marines bigger to accentuate the size difference between them and the average human? Where do you put the artillery now, at the bottom of next door's garden?
I just laugh at the thought of those giant artillery canons on the 40K table pointing up to the sky, shooting something the equivalent of about 50m. Some sort of poorly ejactulating giant canon.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11961 on: October 27, 2022, 10:23:24 AM »
All of this is once again pointing to the fact that epic is and will always be the best way to play 40k

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11962 on: October 27, 2022, 11:01:21 AM »
I'd say Epic is the best way to play actual 40k battles while 40k skirmishes are best with RT.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11963 on: October 27, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »
All of this is once again pointing to the fact that epic is and will always be the best way to play 40k

The irony is that 40k has always been the worst of the 40k setting systems - necromunda/kill team/inquisitor were great for small scale skirmish, Epic/titanicus for massive battles. As a result, 40k has always felt like it can't decide what it wants to be - it flitters between apocalypse sized car parks or trying to be a small platoon game with far too many massive units. The ideal for 40k as a game is to stick to combat patrol sized games and maintain a strong identity rather than stepping on its own toes.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #11964 on: October 27, 2022, 06:14:54 PM »
Someone who was in the GW studio around that time once said to me that the original thinking was more to handle everything above skirmish engagements in 6mm. Fan demand to have the cool stuff in 28mm they were reading about and getting rules for in Adeptus Titanicus and 2nd ed. Space Marine was a significant part of heavy equipment and armoured formations coming into 40k (and drop ships etc. etc. - and I guess Forgeworld nonsense eventually).

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11965 on: October 28, 2022, 10:24:32 AM »
I listened to an interview with Rick fairly recently where he was talking about the development of 40k and before the game was even released it grew. Apparently, Brian Ansel had the mantra "Sci-Fi never sells" and they only let Rick make the game because they had agreed to when he got the job. But, as it was playtested it became so popular at the studio they expanded it.

It shows when you look at the sales bumpf at the time, in one article it says at most a dozen minis per side yet the mission in RT is much bigger and the campaign from the 1st Book of the Astronomicon is even bigger; apparently Rick wanted to include that in RT but ran out of room.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #11966 on: October 28, 2022, 02:37:54 PM »
I think we've known for years (decades?) that 40k struggles under the mantle of being a ruleset best suited to squad or platoon level that has somehow ballooned to Company level and even larger with no corresponding streamlining of the rules.  They've made several attempts over the years to scale back to a manageable level of granularity but each time the Codexes and expanions hit you're back to attempting RPG-like levels of flavor with barely manageable layers of rules and options.

I think the 40k system at its' best is old Necromunda (I like NCE version) and a strong attempt was made with Shadow War Armageddon.   

For a big 40k battle that feels like the fluff and plays fast and fun we turn to Grimdark Future.

I prefer them to the old ones, But I really just want some new plastic catachans.
You might like these guys.
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/reptilian-overlords/products/spacenam
I was never a fan of Catachans, but they seem like what Catachans should be.
They're also supported by a pretty impressive range of 3d printed options as well.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #11967 on: October 28, 2022, 04:24:37 PM »
I think we've known for years (decades?) that 40k struggles under the mantle of being a ruleset best suited to squad or platoon level that has somehow ballooned to Company level and even larger with no corresponding streamlining of the rules.  They've made several attempts over the years to scale back to a manageable level of granularity but each time the Codexes and expanions hit you're back to attempting RPG-like levels of flavor with barely manageable layers of rules and options.

I think the 40k system at its' best is old Necromunda (I like NCE version) and a strong attempt was made with Shadow War Armageddon.   

For a big 40k battle that feels like the fluff and plays fast and fun we turn to Grimdark Future.
You might like these guys.
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/reptilian-overlords/products/spacenam
I was never a fan of Catachans, but they seem like what Catachans should be.
They're also supported by a pretty impressive range of 3d printed options as well.

Agreed. I played a couple of games of 3rd Edition in its earliest days at the platoon level (something like 3-5 squads of troops, plus a few support models/vehicles) and it was actually fun. 2nd Edition works with Necromunda as though it was written for it- it was so much fun. Plenty of room for tactics, tailoring a gang based on improvements, but with just enough chaos to keep things unpredicable.

Another alternative for actual big battles is Warpath: Firefight. Even though it's made more for platoon level, it's significantly faster than 40k. Only issue is figuring out counts-as...
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11968 on: October 31, 2022, 01:21:23 PM »
I recently poked my regular opponent to play a game of Grimdark Future Firefight (the skirmish version of GF), and I fortuitously printed out 4 lists for forces I have in my cabinets. And a good thing, that, because we were able to play 2 games in one evening, with all the normal waffle we tend to throw in, plus the getting the hang of a new rules set.

But considering we were both (mostly) weened on 3rd edition, this was extremely easy going. There is a rulebook (free download, counting 17 pages), but there's also a rules sheet that is just one page. 'Codices' are also just one page. Combine that with your armylist, which is also prints on 1 page, and all the administration required at the table is 3 A4 sheets per side, with the possibility of just 2, if you want to keep the 'codex' out of it (it's not required during play).

And it was the most fun I've had playing (not-)40K since 3rd edition! We hadn't played 40K for about a decade (stopped at the tail end of 5th), but this was such an enjoyable experience, I will be back for more. And all those old-hammer armies I have displayed and am still building? They can now be played as is with these rules.

So yeah; a better 40K experience than 40K I'd say...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11969 on: October 31, 2022, 06:20:07 PM »
And it was the most fun I've had playing (not-)40K since 3rd edition! We hadn't played 40K for about a decade (stopped at the tail end of 5th), but this was such an enjoyable experience, I will be back for more. And all those old-hammer armies I have displayed and am still building? They can now be played as is with these rules.

So yeah; a better 40K experience than 40K I'd say...

Thanks for the recommendation, I simply can't (and won't) keep up with the multitude of books needed to play 40K anymore.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza