Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683665 times)

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11985 on: November 28, 2022, 08:01:50 PM »
Not really a fan of the modern GW design philosophy. In my uninformed opinion, it feels like the design studio folks collate a Pinterest board of cool things and then smoosh them together into an incoherent mess.

I wish they still sold the FW Leman Russ variants  :'(

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11986 on: November 29, 2022, 10:04:53 AM »
Not really a fan of the modern GW design philosophy. In my uninformed opinion, it feels like the design studio folks collate a Pinterest board of cool things and then smoosh them together into an incoherent mess.
Well, err, that's basically the foundation of all of 40k, WHFB, and AoS settings isn't it? I mean, since the very beginning! Part of the charm, no? o_o

Well, some variants like the Vanquisher and the Executioner got rolled into the current plastic kit. However, if you mean hull and turret variants as well, including the Destroyer and Thunderer, then I know what you mean... There were an awful lot of LR variants if you start counting hull mods though, so I can see why keeping them all wasn't sustainable long-term. For me, I was always a bit surprised that there weren't any sort of plastic hull upgrade sprues available, for those who run armoured companies rather than infantry armies. It seems to me to be an "easy" way of adding more variety and a few of the more esoteric weapon options. I suppose they feel it might not sell well enough to make it worthwhile?
I was also somewhat surprised that the Chimera variants (Chimerax, Chimerro, and Chimedon) never got formal 40k models of some sort either (that I recall?), and also that the Griffon mortar carrier never got a plastic version (and ditto the Salamander). Seems a shame, as I would think these would be fairly easy to do!

Online Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11987 on: November 29, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »

I think there's absolutely a case of flanderization going on with alot of the main 40k designs, mostly the imperial and chaos stuff. 

• Assistant
« Reply #11988 on: November 29, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »
Very true, 40k has always been a hodge podge of borrowed designs and ideas.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it feels like they've moved onto a fresh design philosophy since 8th edition, which clashes with my rose-tinted preference for stuff from 3rd to 5th edition. Newer stuff is designed to replace rather than complement (quite literally in the case of Primaris).

Perhaps the real issue at hand is that I've not a clue what 'design philosophy' actually entails  :D

@Major_Gilbear by variants I mean the proper nerdy stuff like Ryza, Mars and Stygies pattern Leman Russ. I managed to snag an old Leman Russ off ebay in the original box, which states it's a MK VII, which is nice bit of granularity.

These days, it's  an easily copyrighted mess of word soup for their naming conventions.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #11989 on: November 30, 2022, 09:16:54 AM »
@Major_Gilbear by variants I mean the proper nerdy stuff like Ryza, Mars and Stygies pattern Leman Russ. I managed to snag an old Leman Russ off ebay in the original box, which states it's a MK VII, which is nice bit of granularity.

You can still get the Mars pattern stuff. Here's one with a Ryza pattern turret:
Mars pattern Russ

• Assistant
« Reply #11990 on: November 30, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »
You can still get the Mars pattern stuff. Here's one with a Ryza pattern turret:
Mars pattern Russ

So you can  :D

In my defence, they're filed away under Death Korps of Krieg rather than Astra Mili-what-now.

Also 70 quid!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11991 on: December 02, 2022, 01:30:45 PM »
GW figure of the year voting now open - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/02/miniature-of-the-year-2022-voting-is-now-open/

Huge list to choose from, but no pictures  :? Hope you know your GW figures by name  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11992 on: December 02, 2022, 02:33:36 PM »
Weird they didn't include the best miniature of 2022 (admittedly you can't buy one).

Being a massive Mark Gibbons art fan...this is the best throwback mini they've ever done - and one of the only minis I lust after from GW.  Despite that I still won't pay the silly $85 people want on eBay.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11993 on: December 02, 2022, 02:45:28 PM »
@Elbows - There is a 40k Loot Sharing group on FB, someone on there might part with one for a reasonable price.

Search for the group: 40k Warhammer and general Wargames Trip Loot Sharing
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11994 on: December 02, 2022, 07:36:08 PM »
Yeah, that Khorne Terminator is something I always wished they'd make a model of - and, now they have at last, it's behind a paywall of overpriced digital dross that I have less than zero interest in. Fail GW, big fat effing fail.  :-X

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11995 on: December 02, 2022, 07:45:40 PM »
I just chuckled that the coolest model they could think to make was a copy of a piece of art from 25 years ago...and it's a banger compared to the stuff they've been putting out lately.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11996 on: December 03, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »
Weird they didn't include the best miniature of 2022 (admittedly you can't buy one).

He is on the list: Warhammer+ - World Eaters Terminator Azrakh, The Annihilator
It is really an oversight to not include pics of the entries...

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11997 on: December 03, 2022, 02:07:01 PM »
Anyone up to speed on the talk about a new version of Epic?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11998 on: December 03, 2022, 09:25:15 PM »
... I still won't pay the silly $85 people want on eBay.

I lucked out and was able to snag me one on the local auction site over here for €40,- , still in its plastic wrap. I didn't know how dear they were at the time, I just knew I needed to have it. The 1998(?) GW catalogue was the first one I owned. It featured this artwork on the cover and it's always been simply awesome!  8)

Now to do it justice...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11999 on: December 03, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »
Paint it black and white. True to the source material.