Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:39:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697790
  • Total Topics: 118862
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1749218 times)

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12525 on: May 18, 2024, 10:02:17 AM »
New age of sigmar starter set revealed - stormcasts Vs skaven. I quite like all of it.

Price is now guessed to be £160. It's nice of GW to maintain that nostalgic feeling of being a kid in a Warhammer shop, unable to afford anything.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12526 on: May 18, 2024, 10:14:06 AM »
 lol
Yes indeed.
Those skaven do look quite nice. Stormcast... Not ever been interested in them. Is there really the market for them? Just Spez Mareen 40k converts?

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12527 on: May 18, 2024, 10:40:56 AM »
lol
Yes indeed.
Those skaven do look quite nice. Stormcast... Not ever been interested in them. Is there really the market for them? Just Spez Mareen 40k converts?

I like them - I only bought into them fully when they got their redesign in the last edition. Beyond big pauldrons they don't really have anything in common with space marines  , at least anything more than nay other knight/chaos warrior/armoured troop has.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12528 on: May 19, 2024, 04:12:29 AM »
New age of sigmar starter set revealed - stormcasts Vs skaven. I quite like all of it.

Price is now guessed to be £160. It's nice of GW to maintain that nostalgic feeling of being a kid in a Warhammer shop, unable to afford anything.

Oh for the days of having moderately wealthy parent(s).

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #12529 on: May 20, 2024, 09:17:33 PM »
Have to confess the new Necromunda Hive Secundus box looks interesting.

Part of me knows I won't like the rules and have zero interest in shoveling $$$ to keep the GW money train rolling. But I love the concept.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/18/warhammer-preview-plunder-the-haunted-depths-of-necromunda-hive-secundus/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12530 on: May 23, 2024, 09:45:17 AM »
What do they do to the Spyrers...? Especially the Orrus is just horrible imo. The others are okay, but they feel so generic and meh in comparison to what the old ones did with Necromunda.
*Goes back to fondling his old Spyrers*
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12531 on: May 24, 2024, 09:19:37 AM »
I like the new Orrus, myself. I think it has the right level of weirdness that so much of the new Necromunda has. I am disappointed the other Spyrers look a lot more like the old minis - they seem a bit out of place. But then I like the more Blanche-style weirdness. The old Spyrers, for me, had too much of a Marvel superhero vibe to them (Orrus and Patriarch esp.)

I really like the idea of a Spyrer gang having hangers on, like each noble is leading a small retinue of men-at-arms or something.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12532 on: May 24, 2024, 11:33:56 AM »
In Ian Watson's Space Marine novel, the main protagonist starts off as a Spyrer gang member. Spoilt and bored rich teenagers from the very top of the hive, who would (literally) swoop down on their hoverboards from the top levels to hunt commoners and scum on the lower levels.

They'd be all flapping silks, perfumes and manicures, in bright colours zooming through the lowest of levels, plinking away at everything that moved, simply out of boredom and haughty depravity.

I believe they were either inspired by, or the inspiration for, the Brats gang in the later Confrontation game.

It would be really cool to see gangs like that to accompany the 'actual'' Spyrers, to go slumming...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #12533 on: May 24, 2024, 11:54:51 AM »
If I remember rightly the spyre fashion used to look like New Romantics
Think Adam ant crossed with black adder  lol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12534 on: May 24, 2024, 03:32:38 PM »
Yeah, the Bratt gangs in Confrontation were the original incarnation of the Spyrer idea. Dressed as you guys say, often with an intentional copying of Eldar style (emulating Harlequin masks, etc.)

Somehow by the time of Outlanders the Spyrer look morphed into Marvel-esque super-hero suits.

Much as I love the Confrontation setting, I like the idea of Spyrers as tech-ed out rather than foppish. In the RT-era WDs, when dreadnoughts were humans in armour rather than walking tombs, there's mention of mercenary bands in dreadnought armour. If I was rich and wanting to kill lots of people in the underhive, I'd buy myself something like a dreadnought suit rather than a fancy frock-coat  :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12535 on: May 25, 2024, 02:00:10 AM »
I liked in the Outlanders original book how the Spyrers were seen as nightmares and generally the "bad guys" in Necromunda. This new lot kind of sounds like they want them to be seen as a good sort of crew from the little I read in the newsletter. I preferred the old idea. I quite liked the marvelesque look to them though, the malcadon being my favourites.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12536 on: May 25, 2024, 08:12:54 AM »
Indeed, they were like a hand of him on Terra reaching down into the underhive. In uni we had campaigns with a nominal gamemaster who would use his Spyrers as a deus ex machina device (also Arbites or Imperial Fists at times).

They were scary!

And the stories and comics in Fanatic Magazine solidified this image of rich sociopaths having to make a certain amount of kills in the underhive before being accepted as adults in their families.

I really like that image too...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12537 on: May 25, 2024, 03:27:59 PM »

Perfection!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12538 on: May 26, 2024, 02:23:01 AM »
I think that's the picture that made me like the Malcadon the best, that and it was an evil spiderman.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12539 on: June 07, 2024, 08:15:03 PM »
GW are bringing back Talisman, in cooperation with Avalon Hill.

I wonder how well it will sell? The minis look more generic than I'm used to from GW these days.