Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689808
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!  (Read 85132 times)

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
Re: Affun's lead-pile - Fantasy Warbands and terrain (updated 27-4)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
Great freehand on the shield. Those goblins are turning out great, you are doing the characterful sculpts justice.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
I've been enjoying your thread this morning! I'm a big fan of the old Grenadier sculpts myself. I wholeheartedly agree they are fun to paint. You have done a fantastic job with them. I especially like the greens of the skintones.

The terrain and table are a great background for your pieces to battle on now. For your tree stand, is the slot that the individual trees fit into finished if the trees aren't used? Are the bases weighted somehow to keep from being knocked over? It looks like a neat idea.

Wonderful stuff! Thanks for sharing,
Jevenkah

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
The terrain and table are a great background for your pieces to battle on now. For your tree stand, is the slot that the individual trees fit into finished if the trees aren't used? Are the bases weighted somehow to keep from being knocked over? It looks like a neat idea.

Wonderful stuff! Thanks for sharing,
Jevenkah

Glad you enjoy it :) I try to do the kind of blog I would enjoy myself, which means lots of characterful painted miniatures on painted terrain with trace elements of narrative. I am certainly having a lot of fun with this project so far.

I grabbed a picture of the tree stand without trees on it:

I have just left the slots black so as to not take too much attention if the trees need to be moved.
Also visible in the picture is that I base my trees on 25mm washers, to add a bit of weight, though they still are a little bit flimsy. With the stand though, I expect that problem to have been solved (fingers crossed  ::) ).

Of course, the daylight had gone before I managed to snap pictures today, so they aren't the greatest. I still wanted to show off the goblin chieftain a bit better, as well as some extra scenery that's still wet with paint and glue! (Missing the final flocking, as is the chieftain, though.)

With their newly found leader, the goblins are getting both braver and more malicious. In the back, a sinister figure can be seen tagging along with the ragged raiding band

The brave patrol finds themselves outnumbered and cornered. Where are those reinforcements?

The last picture does kinda illustrate that I need to paint some more good guys. Those odds are starting to look a bit horrible.
I just need to paint a few more goblins or 3 or 5

Thanks for reading and commenting, folks! See you next time.
~Affun

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
OMG those little goblins are so awesome! Where did you get them from... I have to get them!
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »
OMG those little goblins are so awesome! Where did you get them from... I have to get them!

They are from alternative-armies (linky thingy). Really cheap too, at 6£ for 11 of the buggers (And I even got a free miniature along with them).

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
Great work and love the table and terrain...goes to show you don't need a massive board to produce a fun quality game. Should get my table set up done this weekend, about twice the size of yours which is dictated by a small kitchen table.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
Ive been kinda busy doing anything but paintin glately, but I got tired of all of the "other stuff", and dove right back in today.

We're playing a Warhammer Fantasy campaign in the local gaming cellar, so thats got me inspired to paint some dudes for that. Now, I am playing Daemons in the campaign, so my efforts are a bit misdirected with this guy, but such is the nature of a wimsy painter like me  ::) Never painting what I am supposed too.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »
VERY WELL DONE on both the artistry & the choice of minis! Following your heart may not be a practical choice, but its wonderfully satisfying.
Enjoy the campaign!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »
VERY WELL DONE on both the artistry & the choice of minis! Following your heart may not be a practical choice, but its wonderfully satisfying.
Enjoy the campaign!

Thank you kindly :) I find painting excactly what I feel like tends to keep the paint flowing, rather than have any pretentions of slogging trough boring stuff.

I got a couple more of these guys done tonight, so here is a rather shoddy picture of them (bad lighting etc). Ill grab a better picture when I have a few more done, and its daytime.

Cheers!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Affun's lead-pile - Fantasy Warbands and terrain (updated 01-06)
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:37 AM »
Poor lighting or not, the Lads are BEAUTIFUL...in a disturbing sort of way that is. VERY WELL DONE once more!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 12:37:06 AM »
Pretty cool, what range of miniatures are your chaos warriors from?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
Pretty cool, what range of miniatures are your chaos warriors from?

The warriors are from Avatars of War. Not sure I can entirely recommend them, as, though the minis themselves are pretty cool indeed, the kit is an absolute pain to put together. If you are the patient sorts, though, they are definitely worth it.
Ive had to resort to only putting 1 or two together a day, to avoid frustration-related injuries and accidents.

At any rate, Ive been painting some actual daemons this time:

And a sort of blurry close up (apparantly the basecoated guy in the background is in perfect focus):

And Ive made a movement tray for some doggies:

Its amazing how much work it is possible to get done, when procrastinating on your exams.  ::)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 04:34:51 AM »
Thanks

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
Even as a Non-Daemon type I have a fondness for the Nurgle Guys. You've done an OUTSTANDING job on the Rotters & Pooches...BEAUTIFUL selection of colors & some FINE brushwork. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
I am not even going to pretend that these guys are in any way related to either my army or my exams:

I am a major scatterbrain, in that I leap from project to project. I always want to realize every single idea I have, right the instant I have it. Of course, as soon as I start working on a thing, I get a new idea, or something new and shiney takes my fancy.

So it was with these: Ive had them standing on my desk for quite a while now, and today I suddenly felt a huge urge for some Dark Elf action.

I am a bit conflicted with the colourscheme. I think the purple one turned out best, but I like the pink. And it was a bit faster to paint. And purple dark elves are quite trite.

I dont quite know why, but for some reason I've just been on a roll with painting newer GW-esque stuff in the last while, even though I usually despise it. And I am quite enjoying it too.

Right, back to te paper.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:09:23 PM by affun »