Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696560
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!  (Read 85750 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Affun's lead-pile - Various Fantasy Projects.
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
Today I did some play testing of a rules mod for gw's LoTR SBG. Feeling in the mood, I decided that I might as well make a Battle Report out of it as well. Thus -

One midsummers eve in the woods around Horve...

... A small group of adventurers, hired by the beleaguered City Watch to patrol the surrounding lands, is suddenly ambushed by a warband of evildoers.

The Heroes:

- And the villains:

Quickly spotting the raiders, the handgunner shouts a warning and prepares to fire:

The raiders doesn't give the man time to load his gun, though, as they immediately run for cover behind a nearby copse

From there, they decide to try a flanking manoeuvre through denser terrain, in order to mitigate the adventurers superior fire-power.

However -

- the wizard, no doubt anticipating just this plan of action, now has a clear line of fire. Chanting arcane words, he begins flinging fireballs towards the group, knocking both a skeleton and a marauder to the ground. Seizing the opportunity, the rest of the adventuring party charges into combat.

The situation quickly turns sour, though, as the leader is immediately cut down. The raider chieftain, a foul Knight of Darkness, sees an opening and rushes towards the wizard who had perhaps strayed a little too close to the fray.

What the chieftain hadn't counted on was the sneaky old man besting him in combat. Ducking under the clumsy swing of the chieftains sword, the wizard somehow manages to trip over the hulking brute, thus buying himself precious moments to escape.

However, this small stroke of luck proves insignificant, as the main group of adventures have been quickly run down by the raiders. As the last man standing, Sir Raleigh decides to leg it.

I learned a couple of things I want to tweak with the way wounding and weapons work, though I still am not entirely sure that the SBG engine is the right choice for what I want to achieve. I am looking for a set of rules for fantasy skirmishing a bit more detailed than Songs of Blades an Heroes. Possibly in the vein of Mordheim, but playable on a 2' by 2' surface. (I still have to try out Skuldred when the next beta of rules roll around.)

Sir Raleigh and the Wizard Timothy look fantastic together. I can see the forces of the Dark Gods tremble on their bases. Great painting.    

Thanks :) I am quite pleased with how they are turning out. Now if only the mail would hurry up and bring me the guys I ordered for the rest of the warband.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:00:48 PM by affun »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Affun's lead-pile - AAR on page 5
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
AND let that be a lesson to you, Young Scallywag!:

GREAT REPORT & WONDERFUL PHOTOS!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
Yes! That does make for an excellent photo. :D

Great stuff! 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »
I enjoyed your battle report!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »
Really glad you guys liked it - Certainly was a lot of fun to play and write up. So I might do another one at some point.

For now, more painting! Miniatures arrived in the post today. Some Mirliton skeletons, which are excellent sculpts (I think the mirlitonsculpts, though a bit dated, are some of the miniatures I enjoy painting the most), if a bit too large. Its weird, their humans range between 25mm and 28mm, while these skeletons are closer to 28-32mm. Still, when painted and with the integral base sawn off, you dont really notice, unless put right next to one of the tiny Billmen.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:08:20 PM by affun »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
The Skeletal Lad looks TERRIFIC...GREAT brushwork. Grenadier's, now Mirliton's, minis got larger as the years went by; the really old skeletons are tiny little lumps. VERY WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:35:35 PM by DeafNala »

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
The Skeletal Lad looks TERRIFIC...GREAT brushwork. Grenadier's, now Mirliton's, minis got larger as the years went by; the really old skeletons are tiny little lumps. VERY WELL DONE!

Thats sorta curious, but it does mirrors the way all of the other miniatures companies went. I just hate it when I order things that turn out to be in the wrong scale. :I

Anyways, Ill be moving, and after that taking a vacation to London, so I might not get that much painting done for the next couple of weeks. Then again, I might just squeeze a session or two in anyways  ;D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:58:01 PM by affun »

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
A really NICE Battle Report  :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
GOOD LUCK with the move AND enjoy the vacation...see you in a couple weeks!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2014, 04:59:24 AM »
Better late than never: just had to say, "I liked the battle report!"  :-*

It sounds like a smooth-flowing game. Is that the system or your report? Is that what you didn't like so much about the level of detail in the rules?

The minis and terrain look fantastic together. I love when it all comes together in a game.

Thanks for sharing!
Jevenkah

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »
Excellent and impressive looking warbands. Enjoyed the mini AAR. Have you tried 7th Voyage by Crooked Dice they are also planning on releasing a Robin Hood/Beowulf/Kng Arthur expansion soon.

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
Fantastic minitures here!! I really love the goblins!! :-*

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
*The Show must Go On*

- and so on.

I've painted another spooky skeleton, if you will excuse the blurry pics

Still really loving these miniatures. Had to stop myself from ordering a couple more yesterday, since I allready have enough for a small squad. "Get those you own painted first, hombre". I am desperately trying to reduce the leadpile a bit in size, though my productivity these days is pretty glacial.

At any rate; I've got some ideas for a scenario brewing. I think I've decided that Song of Blades and Heroes is my definite favourite fantasy-system for the time being, and so want to set up a scenario with that soon-ish.

Better late than never: just had to say, "I liked the battle report!"  :-*

It sounds like a smooth-flowing game. Is that the system or your report? Is that what you didn't like so much about the level of detail in the rules?

The minis and terrain look fantastic together. I love when it all comes together in a game.

Thanks for sharing!
Jevenkah

The system does tend to lend it self well to smooth-flowing games. That's what I enjoy so much about the LoTR sbg. There's a lot of smallscale shuffling about, and moment to moment decisions.

Thanks for the great comments everyone, and hanks for reading!
~affun

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
The Old Bony Guy looks TERRIFIC. There was/is something about them that is really appealing; your brushwork did a lot to help that along. GREAT WORK!
I can identify with not ordering more of the skeletons. I had been restraining myself for sometime now. Then Captain John decided he'd like to sell off most of the G.W. pieces. SO I got off a couple of orders despite the fact that nothing has actually been put up for sale yet.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2014, 06:36:55 AM »
What a great thread, Affun! Can't believe I've missed it.  o_o Keep on trucking, hope to see much more goodness here.

Your approach to trees remind me of my own exploits with magnetized forrest stands: http://ministuff.godzilla.se/?p=117
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se