Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion  (Read 77081 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 07:07:59 AM »
Working hard on various teams, and slowly they seem to be taking shape.

Was thinking of doing some old talisman figures that I have on the pile - not exactly enemies but not one side either - would five figures from the game count as a team or are they too diverse?

It's up to your selection of Talisman figures. 5 Taisman play characters would be a lovely team but putting e.g. 2 Characters and some creatures to a team wouldn't work. Feel free to contact me via PM and we'll talk about possible options.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »
How's everyone else doing?

Apart from the final round (WWI) everything has been started - I paint about 8-10 models in a painting weekend (to what I consider decent 'gaming standard'), so i should easily be able to finish all teams in time.

This year I've decided not to bother with a 'diorama'-like phot but will snap pictures in front of a gradient background, which will save quite some time.

If I get in, I'll just have to buy some WWI models.

I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
A renovation has thrown some spanners into the machinery, so I'm extremely slow at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to paint up at least five teams for the 22nd of March (I'm a cheater, so three are already done ;) ).

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »
My attempts at producing enough teams are slowly getting there.  2 complete, 2 almost ready but not happy with the fantasy team.  Not my genre and I am having difficulty applying myself to finishing them.  I might just have to forgo the bonus points for Round One if they don't meet the standard. :?
I have enough painted to get me through week 5. I just need to get some picture done. That has always been the part that holds me back.

Likewise my lack of photography skills means that my finished product is not coming out as well as I had hoped. Still trying to get the figures in focus and properly lit.  :-[

Still determined to enter no matter what the end product looks like.  I can always get better as the weeks progress (at least that is what I tell myself to keep my spirits up).  :D :D

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
Thanks Prof

Looking at just Talisman character pieces I've had for a while - excuse to get some finished I've had them a long time

Now to decide which ones :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2014, 12:17:39 AM »
Just got a new box of minis in the post today (might be yesterday now) so I'm feeling all minilicious. And keen to actually get something painted after a long (long, long, long) dry spell. So I'm going to say 'I'm in', though with only a few days to go an many distractions between now and then, I probably won't get far.

But I might get some minis painted and that's the point.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
Fantastic guys, fantastic! It's great to hear everyone's progress and realize that as a collective of painters we all face pretty much the same issue :) I am excited to see what everyone puts together!

As for me, I started with the WWI project... I realize now that might not have been the best idea, but it's *almost* done and it's a fun new genre that I hadn't worked on before, so hey... Just some finishing touches on the figures and then to polish off the "big thing". Not sure if my "big thing" will even qualify to fit that category, but since I'm committed I won't bother to ask because I probably won't change the project either way! Exciting though!

And good luck all! Should be fun :)

n.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
Round 3 team done, round 2 team almost done but bases only just ordered (my flgs has stopped stocking them  :-[), round 1 team primed.  Looking at the 11 days left, I will have a maximum of 4 evenings to get them all finished and photographed  :o

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:38 AM »
Still not sure if I'll get enough done to enter but struggling with Round 1. I've got a load of fantasy stuff but it's all in the 'for sale' pile except my chaos stuff. I did also find a pile of 1980s GW wizards and townsfolk though. It might not quite be in the spirit of the classic fantasy theme though?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Still not sure if I'll get enough done to enter but struggling with Round 1. I've got a load of fantasy stuff but it's all in the 'for sale' pile except my chaos stuff. I did also find a pile of 1980s GW wizards and townsfolk though. It might not quite be in the spirit of the classic fantasy theme though?

Why not? Wizards and townsvolk would be a proper choice. We only were intending to avoid such stuff as so-called "modern Fantasy". Wizards are classics enough.

Anything that is demonstrably "classic fantasy", including, but not limited to, the Hyborian Age, Dungeons and Dragons, Tolkien, Warhammer etc. This explicitly EXCLUDES "fantasy" themes set in the modern world, e.g. Harry Potter or Twilight.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:19 AM »
Why not? Wizards and townsvolk would be a proper choice. We only were intending to avoid such stuff as so-called "modern Fantasy". Wizards are classics enough.

Cheers Professor! I just wasn't sure a beggar, a woman sweeping up and a woman plucking a chicken would be ok  lol

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
Hey Guys..

So I am on the fence this year for LPL season 8, time is not my friend this year. Trying to paint stuff for two conventions that fall right in the middle of the schedule, and dont have any crossover with the bonus rounds. Round 10 really has me stymied as I dont collect WWI stuff , as a guy that swimming in lead already I am hesitant to get into more stuff just for the sake of painting it when I have so much already.
I'm looking for an excuse thou,  ;) so If you have any recommendation on WWI figures and a vehicle that might have cross use in say WW2, as vintage leftovers still in use? Or , something that might have a futuristic look for say Victorian era gaming ? ( Empire of the Dead)  That might give me the push I need. At this point thou I havent really found anything as I dont know alot about miniatures in the genre.  Any advice would be appreciated!
Check out my adventures in lead and plastic http://plasticlegions.blogspot.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »
The bonus rounds aren't compulsory - you don't have to paint to the bonus round themes, unless you are competitively chasing down every available bonus point :)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
I've selected ten teams that I'm supposed to be painting. they're standing all on my table, staring at me. "watcha wait'n for, then?" they seem to say!  lol
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
finally something modelling my wife approves of :)  She see's the lead pile dropping a bit over the next month or so