Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690494
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Dark Age Warriors (Nord) vs. Cybertronic Team (Jaffar)

Dark Age Warriors (Nord)
320 (65.6%)
Cybertronic Team (Jaffar)
168 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 486

Voting closed: April 13, 2014, 11:26:19 AM

Author Topic: Round 3 - Dark Age Warriors vs. Cybertronic Team  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 3 - Dark Age Warriors vs. Cybertronic Team
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Round 3 - Dark Age Warriors vs. Cybertronic Team
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
This is a tough match. I think the cybertronic team is actually better painted, whereas the Gripping Beast Dark Age levy are obviously done using washes and so on... All I can say, is that that gritty, subdued finish is very very effective. They really do look great, and evoke the period.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
This is a tough match. I think the cybertronic team is actually better painted, whereas the Gripping Beast Dark Age levy are obviously done using washes and so on... All I can say, is that that gritty, subdued finish is very very effective. They really do look great, and evoke the period.

My thoughts exactly.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »
Wow  :o I look at the mini's, formulate my opinion and think..."can I say that?" scroll up, and low and behold, the Captn and Doom have beat me to it!  lol

Really they are both excellent entries done in very different styles. If there is any critique to be laid here it would be that I think BOTH entries could have benefited from better backgrounds. The dark Ages group is on a matching dull drab cloth.....shoot those guys on a light blue background and see the difference! They will stand out... The Cybers suffer from "blending in" to a background that is TOO busy and they cool robots almost disappear into the ruins, light grey or a black background with a hot back light and some front flash....pop!

Kudos on the "hand painted" shields! 8) and the flesh work on the Cybers is to die for! :D

My 2 cents,

Bill W

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »
Light blue? This is the dark ages! ;)

Thanks for the comments folks. They are pretty much primed, single base colour and washed. I don't really think the quality of the sculpts merits more effort than this if I am being honest. Also, it's the only way I can get a warband finished in a month, not just one point, and still look decent on the tabletop. The hand painted shields are a reward to myself for slogging through mediocre models painting, these designs are pretty basic, some of my other shields are more elaborate. In a nutshell, they are wargaming standard not display figures.

What's this obsession with "pop" anyway? Whatever happened to the beauty of subtlety?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »
Could somebody tell me what/who the centre big guy in the Cybertronic Crew is please. I recognise the others.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Light blue? This is the dark ages! ;)

Thanks for the comments folks. They are pretty much primed, single base colour and washed. I don't really think the quality of the sculpts merits more effort than this if I am being honest. Also, it's the only way I can get a warband finished in a month, not just one point, and still look decent on the tabletop. The hand painted shields are a reward to myself for slogging through mediocre models painting, these designs are pretty basic, some of my other shields are more elaborate. In a nutshell, they are wargaming standard not display figures.

What's this obsession with "pop" anyway? Whatever happened to the beauty of subtlety?

I think you are using washes with much better effect than what you usually see. Hat off to you, sir!

Offline ollv

• Scientist
    • Imagifig
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
Could somebody tell me what/who the centre big guy in the Cybertronic Crew is please. I recognise the others.

He is Vince Diamond (hero)
http://shop.princeaugust.ie/warzone-mutant-chronicles-wargame/cybertronic-mega-corporation/tg11709pb-warzone-cybertronic-vince-diamond-figures/

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
Thanks very much!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »
I think you are using washes with much better effect than what you usually see. Hat off to you, sir!

When I say wash, I think glaze would be more accurate. Different base colours get different coloured glazes, I don't just slap brown goo all over them.