Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:07:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mixing Perry Plastic Medievals  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
Mixing Perry Plastic Medievals
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Hi,

I'm wondering what could be built by mixing the Agincourt to Orleans 1415-1429 English Infantry with the 1450-1500 sets. Do we end up with some sort of 1430-1450 period figures or 1450's old fashioned infantry?

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
Re: Mixing Perry Plastic Medievals
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »
Check out siege of Orleans by osprey. It has very interesting armour combinations in the pictures.
Cheers

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
The 14th and 15th centuries were period of great change in dress and armour. By the 1450s, dress of the early 1400s would be pretty dated IMHO.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
Like any other time there were periods were styles overlapped. Even the 1455 to 85 period would have seen changes that make some of the figures in that set futuristic for 1455 and dated for 1485. So sure there would have been those in the 'latest trend' as compared to those still wearing 'unfashionable' styles at some point.

How that flowed in relation to the figures in the respective ranges I really could not say and I suspect that contemporary images would be the route to go down to be certain.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Like any other time there were periods were styles overlapped. Even the 1455 to 85 period would have seen changes that make some of the figures in that set futuristic for 1455 and dated for 1485. So sure there would have been those in the 'latest trend' as compared to those still wearing 'unfashionable' styles at some point.

How that flowed in relation to the figures in the respective ranges I really could not say and I suspect that contemporary images would be the route to go down to be certain.

One way of explaining is to compare the Richard of York pic here (first on the right):

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_34&products_id=2478

with the pic of Richard III or indeed Sir Percival Thirwall Richard III's standard bearer here:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_34&products_id=2475

You can imagine the many combinations in between the older style worn by the Duke of York and the newer styles worn by Richard et al?

Similarly you could reach back into time and create some suits by combining the new (Cousin's War period) plastic s and the three ups from the plastic Agincourt to orleans Engliah range?

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »
Basically you could use great bacinet with armets and sallet, and you could put the arms from the hyw set with the wtor set, and to some extent vice versa, for 1430-1450 look

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
There's a great book called 'Sun of York', which describes a young nobleman from an impoverished family and his struggle in the WOTR. The only armour he had was an extremely elderly set that belonged to his great-grandfather. He updates it piece-by-piece in the story by looting his defeated opponents.

It's easy to imagine many men fighting with obsolete kit, especially if there are several sons on campaign. A suit of armour was a massive investment and only the richest could afford the latest designs. I guess you could compare it to cars on the road - a couple are this year's model, most are from the last decade or two and then you will see a few old bangers still limping along from ages back.

Of course, even an old suit of armour is still serviceable if it kept in good condition and a damn sight better than no armour at all.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
There's a great book called 'Sun of York', which describes a young nobleman from an impoverished family and his struggle in the WOTR. The only armour he had was an extremely elderly set that belonged to his great-grandfather. He updates it piece-by-piece in the story by looting his defeated opponents.

I've still got that book you know, Cubs. Are you jealous? ;)

I'm wondering what could be built by mixing the Agincourt to Orleans 1415-1429 English Infantry with the 1450-1500 sets.

Well that's certainly what I'm going to be doing - and worse  :D

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
You could always just do a Game of thrones themed army and mix whatever you want! :D

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Þorsteinn á Heiðini
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »

Well that's certainly what I'm going to be doing - and worse  :D

Can't wait to see your 1400/1490 mixed armoured Ansar Zouaves!  :D

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:28 PM »

Yes.

Very.

I thought about borrowing it from the library and just keeping it then paying the fine, but apparently everyone else got there first because they don't have any copies.

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
"For those wondering the arms are interchangeable (width at the shoulders) with the WOTR sets, so some of the "white" armoured figures could be used for the 1430-1450 period".  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
"For those wondering the arms are interchangeable (width at the shoulders) with the WOTR sets, so some of the "white" armoured figures could be used for the 1430-1450 period".  :)

Yep, read that  :D.

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
Guys, Nuno's question related to the infantry... which is what I thought we were talking about too.  ;)

Certainly there is far more crossover potential with regards to the 'knights'... but the infantry? I don't know myself and I'm wondering when the sort of split point between when the AtO era 'ends' and the WotR 'era' begins with regard to akhetons vs brigandines/jacks etc.

:)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Guys, Nuno's question related to the infantry... which is what I thought we were talking about too.  ;)

Certainly there is far more crossover potential with regards to the 'knights'... but the infantry? I don't know myself and I'm wondering when the sort of split point between when the AtO era 'ends' and the WotR 'era' begins with regard to akhetons vs brigandines/jacks etc.

:)

Boy, to give any definitive answer to that question would take some real research!!

Good luck to whoever goes for that one!!  :D

Darrell.