Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My very own BPRD... UPDATE 27/07/09 - Liz!  (Read 25221 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: My very own BPRD...
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »
Firstly, what a great job! I'm a big big HB/BPRD fan, love looking at this set :) You've outdone yourself!

What kind of scale are the Hasslefree figs in? I have a zombie hunter but he is on the small side... 25mm I believe.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
Kev White firmly and vociferously maintains that his figs are produced in "true" 28mm, i.e. that is the measurement (to the eyes) of a standard male human figure. They are also a bit more realistically proportioned, which makes them look slimmer than other manufacturers, less chunky.

In practice, there is a lot of variation as they are sculpted to be individuals and a lot depends on the subject. A teenage girl like Sadie will come in quite small (maybe 25mm), but a hulking brute like Harby is 32/33mm tall. Kev usually does list the size on the relevant shop page to let you decide before you buy though.

As you can see from the stuff I have used, I have no problem mixing them with figures from Artizan, Copplestone (em4 Future Wars), East Riding Miniatures and Heresy. Depends what you're willing to put up with on the tabletop/shelf, I suppose.

And thank you for your comments, I'm glad you think they are worthy of the subject matter.  :)

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »
did you ever get around to making liz?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:43 AM »
did you ever get around to making liz?

I started on the conversion, yeah, using Hasslefree's Sadie the Vampire Slayer as a base.

But then it got really cold up in my nerd-hole, and the gun hand didn't look right anyway, and then a load of shiny new stuff turned up, and then it was Christmas....

Well, you get the idea. It's on the bench, I just need to get back into it. Soon.

Always soon.  ;)

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
cool. after getting the hellboy films for xmas it has rekindled my hellboy ideas! Now to find the money for the figures and the people to play! :D

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »
Hey all.

I finally got round to finishing a few more characters for the BPRD, and thought you'd want to see, since you've been waiting so long.  ;)

First off, we have Liz Sherman (and if you've been following the conversation in this thread, you'll know that this is the third version I started. I'm so pleased I actually finished one!

Secondly, we have Agent Devon, a relatively new character in the comics, and one who has been elevated reluctantly from back room boy to frontline operative. I thought the cautious look of this figure captured him quite well.

And to finish, a group of R&D techs, professors and what have you.

As you can see, the girl is the only one I've converted. I also like to think of the guy in the apron as a kind of Q figure. "Oh, Hellboy, do be careful...!" lol

As usual, where possible I've tried to strike a balance between the comics and the movies, and ended up with something not quite either. I hope I haven't gone too wide of the mark.

So. Sorry for the wait, I hope it was worth it. I'd be really pleased to hear any comments, criticisms and suggestions on how to improve my conversion skills, as there are one or two bits I'm not too happy with.

Over to you!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: My very own BPRD... UPDATE 27/07/09 - Liz!
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
It's all good.  8) 8) 8) :-*

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Offline The Somnambulist

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
Nice work!Where did the research team come from? I recognise the Hasslfree girl. I 've been painting my own B.P.R.D off and on for the last 18 months, I should really get them finished!
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Cheers.  :)

The two blokes in lab coats are also from Hasslefree, the guy with the apron is Heresy's Dr Frankenmuller.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:25 PM »
These are all freaking awesome.

I love the hellboy mythos.  :)

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
Great stuff JollyBob.  I really like your conversions.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2009, 01:13:23 AM »
Your BPRD characters are very nice. I like them all though I wonder if you're happy with your compromise. I'd be torn between the two. But I would feel like I had to try to match one either the comic or the movies. I do applaud your work you've gotten great results with your approach.

Rob

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2009, 02:36:40 AM »
I'm doing the same thing...only yours blows mine away!!! Great job, great look to all the figures you have chosen. Now let's see all those Guy Davis styled monsters... ;)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
And thanks once again.

I'm really interested to see all these other versions that people are doing, although also slightly worried that they'll make me rethink my choices and start again!  lol

@kidterminal: I would say I'm 99% happy with the compromises I made. Ideally I'd like them to look more like the comic versions, as they are the ones I'll always go back to, but my conversion skills aren't up to exact copies, and I didn't want them to look like the Heroclix versions.

I think they convey the feel of the characters (at least I hope they do), and that's good enough for me.  :)