Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:09:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LPL9 General discussion thread: The final round is now up for voting  (Read 89974 times)

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: LPL9 General discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »
I see that the bonus points for votes has not been altered, stil based on the absolute number of votes. Some thoughts that popped up at the closing of LPL8

Now the dust has settled, I crunched some numbers. For each participant I added up the votes for and against. If I'm not making a basic logical error, this should represent the possible votes the participant could have gotten. The
maximum values was 4900, the minimum 4343. This means the 'max' participant had a potential of 557 votes the 'min' participant didn't have. More than one round difference !

The average and median value were approx. the same (4675 and 4680) which indicates a fairly even distribution IIRC.

Though this wouldn't have changed top 3, since they tend to gather more votes anyway, but it might have caused some position shifts lower in the rankings.

Maybe think about a distributing points based on a percentage of votes for in stead of a absolute number of votes.
I'm not quite anal enough to produce an 'alternate' standing based on this years LPL, but it would be interesting to see the impact.

Yes, sure, like mentioned already I like the idea and I think we will see how it works in the next league.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
I seem to have a tradition of participating in only odd-numbered LPLs (3rd, 5th & 7th so far!) so I guess that means I should get myself organized to participate in this one!

I like the themes, too, and can fit current projects into all three themes, with a slight stretch for "Animals". I really like the exclusion of horses from the Animal round, it'll make it a much more creative round that just a display of horseflesh!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
Taxonomically speaking, humans are animals.  ;)

Ah but Dylan, why would you paint mere human animals, when you could paint all that lovely African wildlife?  ;)  :D

I see that the bonus points for votes has not been altered, stil based on the absolute number of votes. Some thoughts that popped up at the closing of LPL8

I'm sorry, that had completely passed me by. From my point of view, the suggestion would involve extra work to calculate the % share (x 25 matches), when there is more than enough work involved in running the league already. But I'll see what the Prof thinks, since he will be handling the leaderboard calculations.

Good to hear from other would-be participants :)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
Would centaurs qualify for bonus points?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
Might have to give it a miss with other things going on. At least that opens up a spot for the bottom of the table!   lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
Would centaurs qualify for bonus points?

I'm afraid not. Sorry  :(

Animals need to be 100% animal. And horses are disqualified anyway, because the aim is to see some painted animals other than horses.

So half-human, half-horse would fail on both counts :)

The intent behind the theme was to encourage livestock, wildlife, domestic animals, dinosaurs and fantasy / sci-fi animals: wargs, giant bugs etc.
Obviously once you try to push at the interpretation of the theme, you hit some difficulty.
So I suppose anthropomorphic animals like Redwall-style armed mice would be allowable because mice are undeniably animals.
On the other hand, fantasy / sci-fi races like lizard-men, would not qualify because these are not really animals, but alien humanoids with animal-like characteristics.
It's tricky, but we have to draw the line somewhere.
Please check if in doubt.

As I say, the easiest thing would be to just paint some obvious animals :)

Interesting to see that it's the animal round which is causing the most interest. At least nobody's asked 'what qualifies as a woman?' yet  :D

Might have to give it a miss with other things going on. At least that opens up a spot for the bottom of the table!   lol

Ah, that's a shame Steve. You did pretty well last time IIRC :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
I think i was firmly mid table at the end. My poor photography let me down! I do really like the themes though as they encourage painting up existing figures rather than specifically buying new ones for the LPL. I have a dozen unpainted longhorn cattle that I need to paint plus some cowpokes. Hmmm, maybe LPL will be another painting kick up the backside. With the LPL and BLAM I painted more last year than in the past 5 combined.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
I'm sorry, that had completely passed me by. From my point of view, the suggestion would involve extra work to calculate the % share (x 25 matches), when there is more than enough work involved in running the league already. But I'll see what the Prof thinks, since he will be handling the leaderboard calculations.

Honestly, I completely forgot about it. Too busy at the moment with real life issues but a bit later, in a few weeks I will try to implement that in my mighty LPL-Excel-Spread-sheet-thing :) So If it is going to work then I actually wouldn't mind to try it out in this season.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Interesting to see that it's the animal round which is causing the most interest. At least nobody's asked 'what qualifies as a woman?' yet  :D

No worries, didn't think they would, just checking. I have got a couple of other things in mind for the animals round. I do know what a woman is, it's just getting my hands on five of them that I am having difficulty with.  ;)

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
Sorry if I've missed this in the rules but would 2 miniatures on a single base (ie. Weapons teams) count as one or two miniatures for team size purposes?

Not sure if I'm gonna have three teams ready in time but if I do I'm going to give this a go.  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
I do know what a woman is, it's just getting my hands on five of them that I am having difficulty with.  ;)

lol
I think five would be too many to handle - I have enough trouble with one ;)

Sorry if I've missed this in the rules but would 2 miniatures on a single base (ie. Weapons teams) count as one or two miniatures for team size purposes?

Two  :)
Miniatures or models can be singly or multiply based as you wished. As long as they are based and there are at least five individual minis or models in a team.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
I really would like to take part this year, as I need something to break my painting drought, just need to get the three initial teams painted.
Not sure I have enough figures for the Armoured round and trying to avoid buying any more till end of March , but I am doing a quick paint job of some figures for a friend that will be suitable.
The other two theme rounds I am well sorted for, though the big thing may be a bit ambitious, we'll see how I go.
Got to get three teams painted before April first.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »
Looking forward to another enjoyable & inspirational LPL.   Nice work on the metals Matt.

I was planning to ask about feminine robots, like Hydra's 'Mechanika'...

The good news is I won't have to buy anything for the LPL this year, the bad news is I have too many things to choose from even for the bonus rounds  o_o
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »
Well the category is stated as 'female figures' so I guess if the robots are obviously female robot figures they would qualify.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
So if I understand it right 5 Lotr orc warg riders would be perfect for round 5, right?

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!