Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LPL9 General discussion thread: The final round is now up for voting  (Read 89989 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: LPL9 General discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 12:56:47 PM »
Right 😊

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
Excellent! I've got Wargs  :D  So that means Tarzan's off, Richard  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
Thank f*** for that  :D

Offline krimso

• Assistant
    • Lead & Wax Projekts
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
I'm planning on getting involved.  Being an LPL noob (did thoroughly enjoy watching the action last year) I have a question.  I post WIP pictures on my blog once a week.  If I do not post any pictures of "completed" teams but have some pics posted of WIPs is that allowable, or are there no pics allowed whatsoever?
I'd rather meet the devil than be this woman's man:  Skip James

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Hi  :)

For 'new team' bonus points purposes, it's okay to post pics elsewhere of figures you intend to use in their raw, prepped, or early part-painted state. But well advanced, almost finished, or fully finished and based figures would have to count as 'previously published' if you'd shown them on your blog, and so wouldn't count as new.

Sorry to be pernickety, but the intent behind the league (apart from a bit of friendly competitive fun) is to encourage members to paint new figures, rather than showing already-painted stuff which might have been seen before. Unfortunately, this means you have to draw a line somewhere.

There's also the side issue of tacit (or explicit) drumming up support via blogs etc. Shocking I know, but it's been done before, along the lines of: 'Hey, here are some figures I'm painting for the Lead Painters League over on the Lead Adventure Forum... Why not pop over AND VOTE... '

Obviously not cricket :)

Offline krimso

• Assistant
    • Lead & Wax Projekts
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Now lets see if I can get three teams together in time.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
I'm in, hopefully.  Don't seem to have finished a project since last year's LPL so we'll see how it goes.  Round 1 bonus will be figures I probably wasn't going to be painting until much later in the year, but they'll do if I can find them.  Started work on round 2 figures.  Round 3 could be an extension of my Army Painters figures that didn't get done in December, January or last month.  The animals round looks like it could have some fun entries and as for the last round.....I'll have to have a think about that one. 

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
Chances are, this year, I am out.  :'(

This has been the busiest several weeks of the school year, and it doesn't show any sign of letting up. I'm involved in too many clubs and other activities for me to see my time free up in the foreseeable future. That's a bummer because I've been in it for several years in a row, now.

That said, I will still enjoy seeing the Sunday morning parade of beautifully painted entries, again!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
I love LPL season! This year I'm about ready to enter. I've been getting myself organized so it looks like I've got a good shot at entering. Might not make all the bonus round themes, but it'll be fun to be a part of things. (In the LPL spirit, I'm trying to use models that are already  waiting for paint rather than adding significantly to the lead pile in the garage...)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Ah bollocks...

I'm in  :D

I can get the three teams done for the start and then the rest are after Salute  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »
Excellente! Hoping to see more Karstarks and their chums  8)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
Yay! I better get working. Hope I'll find the time!
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
I'm afraid not. Sorry  :(

Animals need to be 100% animal. And horses are disqualified anyway, because the aim is to see some painted animals other than horses.

So half-human, half-horse would fail on both counts :)

The intent behind the theme was to encourage livestock, wildlife, domestic animals, dinosaurs and fantasy / sci-fi animals: wargs, giant bugs etc.
Obviously once you try to push at the interpretation of the theme, you hit some difficulty.
So I suppose anthropomorphic animals like Redwall-style armed mice would be allowable because mice are undeniably animals.
On the other hand, fantasy / sci-fi races like lizard-men, would not qualify because these are not really animals, but alien humanoids with animal-like characteristics.
It's tricky, but we have to draw the line somewhere.
Please check if in doubt.

Interesting to see that it's the animal round which is causing the most interest. At least nobody's asked 'what qualifies as a woman?' yet  :D

Ah, that's a shame Steve. You did pretty well last time IIRC :)

Captain, sorry to bother you but I need some clarification as I am very tempted to have another go this year:

1) would mules and donkeys count as horses or "other"?
2) in a previous post you mentioned "previously published" teams as allowable even if they will not receive the 10 points bonus - does that include also pictures of teams that were posted in a previous LPL? Sorry, just want to make sure I will be able to have 10 teams....

Thanks a lot !
As I say, the easiest thing would be to just paint some obvious animals :)

Malto
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
Mules and donkeys are animals which are not horses, so would count for bonus points.

You can submit a team of previously published figures, but they will not be eligible for 'new' team bonus points.

Obviously, the LPL is designed to encourage new painting, hence the bonus points for newly painted teams.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 02:20:33 AM »
What email address do we use when LPL9 opens for entries? Or is that revealed on the day?