Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Greetings a few of mine  (Read 7091 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Greetings a few of mine
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
vs Canada - as canada was a british dominion and you know they backed confederates

What do you mean "was"!  ;)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »

I'm sure I saw someone had done a unit of undead civil war figures a while back on this forum...not sure who though.

That will be Lowtardog for his Weird West games I believe. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »
Hmm...

I've actually thought about using the British Home Service figures as Americans.  The uniforms of that period are very close.

The question is, how would you use them?  Prussian air assault of America?  American reinforcements for the British Empire?  The ACW delayed or never ending is one good scenario. 

Any others?

Or US against England because they backed the conferedates,
US vs Canada - as canada was a british dominion and you know they backed confederates,

or even to repulse Mexican invaders (actually 1911affair of Panco Villa) or French from Mexico (although they were driven already out of Mexico)  or to repulse prussian influense in Central and/or South America!

Or intervene to stop great paraguayan war (actually there was such a plan) or intervene to promote democracy in the chaos of South American empieres/petty kingdoms/dictatorships, or just Spanish American War! -or carving a colonial empire

What Jolly Good Ideas!

I feel myself slowly sinking into the quicksand that is VSF! 

HELP!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
I love the rosehip beastie. Reminds me of the Martians from War Of The Worlds [novel not films].

I wish I could remember where I hid my son's "Incredibles" toy spidery-thingy after I "borrowed" it from him to use as a VSF walker :(

This is probably a very stoopid question [no change there, then] but where do we find rosehips? Is it a rural thing, or can they be found in urban areas. What do rosehip bushes [trees?] look like?

As someone dedicated to using as much legal free stuff as possible, I want some rosehip aliens for VSF/Pulp etc  :)

Oh, welcome, by the way. I haven't been purged/deleted yet, so you are pretty safe  lol

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
Rose hips can be found in a number of places. I know they are often sold as home dcoration but they are also sold as herbal components for tea and natural medicines. You may also find them sold as nutritional suppliments as well. You could check with your local florist as well. They may have some discarded hips that you could dry yourself.

My wife orders hers online. If you'd like I can find from where and pass it on.

-Eli
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:21:07 PM by The Hooded Claw »
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
Rode hips can be found in a number of places. I know they are often sold as home dcoration but they are also sold as herbal components for tea and natural medicines. You may also find them sold as nutritional suppliments as well. You could check with your local florist as well. They may have some discarded hips that you could dry yourself.

My wife orders hers online. If you'd like I can find from where and pass it on.

-Eli

Eli, thanks! I will look around first, see if I can find them free. If not, I'll let you know  :)

Offline praetorian13

• Schoolboy
    • Pigments of Your Imagination Painting Service
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »
The golf course across fdrom my house has thousands of "Old World" roses as a antural barrier. This time of year they are all bare of elaves adn petals. The best ones still ahe the little bits that were the "bud" around the pateals at the bottom, those are the "tentacles/legs"  If you gently moisten them they can be repositioned, or you can make ones out of green stuff.

The organic shape is what I liked aboutt hem
I made some more armed ones, I'll try to find them and take some pictures!

I have a pretty detailed "Alternate" hsitory for my VSF world.

First Dinosaurs never died out, nor did dire beasts  they survived in pockets all over the world. Second magic work and all the creatures of myth existed or still do- Vampired, were wolves, Rakaashas, Gryphons, even dragons. Dwarves live under many nations and are the people of choice for mining nad engineers. The Elves live in an alternate dimension that intersects with ours adn Faerie court intrigue permeates almost every nation. In the US, the Cahokia Mounds are huge fey mounds the Fair Folk use to cross over into our world, as well as smaller mounds all through the midwest.

For example I once read that the Battle of Isandlawanda took place during a solar eclipse. Since Magic exists in this world (Thus the whole necromancy thing)  I postulated the Zulu Shamans used the eclipse to do powerful magic, and all of the slain British soldiers became ghostly guardians of Zulu land. Any British citizen who crosses the border is wracked with stomach pains as if being disembowled (As the corpses were) Rorkes drift anver happened because that night every soldier succumbed to these debilitating pains and were slain to a man and the priest and his daughter were brought back as sacrifices.

Other lands saw success of old magick over modern colonization and followed suit. The East Indians called upon an Avatar of Kali to drive out the foreign oppressors. The Native Americans did the Ghost dance and secured for themselves most of the Central Northwest part of the US as their own. Colorado is a Free Trade Zone witht eh Peoples of Turtle Island, Denver being a city that links the Western Empire with the North, adn the South. The folk of Denver are a mixture of native tribes and whites who have given up their citizenship to join the United Native Peoples Nation.
California, Oregon, Washington and a part of Nevada seceeded from the Union and formed the Empire of the Gold Coast. Their main issue is with raiding Chinese pirates and Japanese warships.

Germany (Actually the Greater Prussian Empire) is allied with the North (And strangely enough Mexico) and exchange technology, so Unterseeboots roam up and down the Missisippi and off the coast of the US, as well as powered war walkers and multi winged flying machines. Texas Seceeded witht eh aid of the Prussians and formed an independant nation called "Lonestar" It has a close relationship with both the confederate states as well as Mexico, and through their Prussian Allies have opened talks with the Federation.

One fun thing was to look at where famous Ameican inventors were born and figure out which "side" would get first crack at which inventions.

The South has developed a rather totalitarian government allied with Necromancers (Actiually a deal was struck to free the slaves in exchange for Powerful Voudon workers to raise zombies.) The head of the secret service is a mysterious figure named Teppets who immigrated to the south from some small European country or another.

The Arcanists at Arkham University are working hard to train War Wizards to counter the necromantic threat from the south.

The adventure I ran had to do with the neutral zone set up between the trenches dug between North and South. The NZ is filled with horrid abominations of wild magic, deserters from both sides, displaced native tribes, strange supernatural creatures, and rogue warbots. 
     Raids were being carried out on watch towers and the bodies were found drained of their vital fluids and missing organs. Of course Necromancy si suspected and a small crew is sent across the border in an amphibious steam powered personel carrier. Once there, they ran afoul of a degenerate tribe who worships long dead gods, a band of werewolves, and finally a  Confederate timber walker who once they have captured prisoners they discover is part of a Confederate attempt to find out why THEIR pickets are being killed. Together the forces enter a place where vegetation has gone wild with red plants growing in tropical abundance and strange "triffids" (Pictures to come) There they find a vessel crewed by strange pink tentacled creatures who fight and flee upon being discovered. Once they leave the alien vegetation withers and the party returns with a strange captured weapon......

I am not sure if there is a files section one can place larger files if anyone is interested, or you could PM me and I can see if I can send what I have via email  if you wish to borrow bits.

If anyone is interested I'd be willing to share overviews of the characters the players used as the FederalS tates of America's on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Les
Don't let your little guys go into battle naked!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 03:03:53 AM »
Well I for one love your background dude! I think I wouldnt mind seeing what you got and adding it to my own stuff that i am currantly doing up. Vary kool
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 10:56:08 AM »
That's an impressive background! If you tell us you have everything you need for it painted and ready to use I'm afraid I will break down and cry  lol

I like the idea of "magic" entering my VSF world, though I rationalise it as an "alternative" alien technology, undiscovered or forgotten on Earth. Like many others, I also have Vampires Werewolves etc lurking about as well as Troglodytes [oh, alright, Moria Goblins] and other fantastical creatures lurking about in remote areas. I also have "rifts" appearing where random aliens appear from - an idea I had before "Primeval" appeared on TV, inspired by the "Magician" and "Rift War" series of books.

My background is pretty fragmented and ad-hoc, though, nothing like as detailed as yours :)

I look forward to more pics from your world!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
A belated welcome to the addictive world of VSF.

I've been thinking what to do with my Incredibles walker thingy for a while, I like what you've done with yours. What you've done with the Rosehip is inspired!
Don't!

Offline praetorian13

• Schoolboy
    • Pigments of Your Imagination Painting Service
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
That's an impressive background! If you tell us you have everything you need for it painted and ready to use I'm afraid I will break down and cry  lol

Well I had everything for the scenarios painted but I cheated and used  Rhino from GW to stand in for the Steam driven amphibious personal carrier. I have some WWI British tommies painted as Confederates, and I use regular confederates as well (And we pretend their guns aren't black powder- I hate to convert them and then not be able to use them as rebs later!)

I'll put up the pictures of the other characters tomorrow (I ahve to get somewhere today sadly) I also have a pciture fo the "triffids" also made from leftover rose bits.

And the fellow looking for rose hips, I can probably mail you a  handful if you are unsuccessful, as long as it stays in the US as they get crabby about sending plant materials across borders.

Les

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
Welcome aboard, Praetorian13! Now, my personal favourite is this stone golem of Ptah found elsewhere in your gallery. Superbly modified. No way to spot the original (even if I knew it).