Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:13:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spilling the beans on Dragon Rampant  (Read 14635 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Spilling the beans on Dragon Rampant
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
Luverly. :) Strength points and troop types make me think of dusting George off and putting him back in the modelling queue. And I've said before, but I've been gathering Warhammer high elves for this. Swordmaster elite foot, spearmen heavy foot, white lion, er... bellicose foot.

I'll beg a second (probably not last) time, Dan. Is there any strict reason why the term 'fierce foot' can't be borrowed from LR? ;) :D

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
@Vermis - No, you absolutely must use the term Bellicose Foot, otherwise your games will be unfulfilling and worse than that, Unofficial.

:D

Of course I'm just being silly there - yes, keep using Fierce Foot if you prefer. I suspect many will do so, but I liked the term Bellicose as it reminded me of the sort of pompous, overblown fantasy literature I read as a teenager.

I seem to remember a few bees in bonnets about the term Bidower in Lion Rampant - terminology really isn't something to get yourself stressed by, surely? So long as you're enjoying yourself.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »

@Hobgoblin, great work and a nice collection of minis… I spotted a Runequest troll in there, one of my favourite ranges ever. One thing I saw in your list: the rules don't have Elite Missiles, so you can either create your own upgrade there, or maybe use the 1 point to make their missiles Enchanted (giving a 1 in 6 chance of more damage). Your call!

Thanks, Dan. Noted on the rules: I was thinking of the Expert upgrade in Lion Rampant, but Enchanted will do nicely!

Yes, those old Runequest miniatures are terrific. I have all bar the cave troll, and will be phasing those in, so that the Mistress Race troll adds a second sorceress and the others can replace the black orcs as guards. One thing about those trolls is that they're actually nothing like Gloranthan trolls as described and illustrated (and indeed Citadel also sold some of them as ogres and goblins). But they're none the worse for that! I like them because they serve to erase Citadel's distinction between "orcs" and "goblins", which has always irked the Tolkien enthusiast* in me. The Perrys and Kev Adams used to make quite a lot of goblins that had pug-nosed "orc" faces, but no bigger ones with long noses. The RQ miniatures plug the gap nicely (and goblins with both sorts of face also fit with Alan Garner's svart-alfar, whose "fish-white" colouring I've stolen).

Did you ever see the John Blanche concept drawing for genuinely (snouted) Uz? One of the great "what ifs" of miniature gaming, I think, as the sketches are fantastic but none were ever made, as far as I know.

I have some Dragonewt scouts and Broo fierce (ahem, bellicose) foot on the way too:

*crank
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:16:46 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
Heh. You have a point, Dan. Especially about the oldschool fantasy. :D (It's definitely not a dealbreaker under any circumstance, anyway!)

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
Now I have an excuse to get the "Pig Faced" orcs from Otherworld Miniatures...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

I always really liked Hordes of the Things more for the ability to create interesting armies than the rules themselves, so I'm looking forward to Dragon Rampant coming out.

I've masses of LOTR figures (mostly non-GW) to use. I'll also be looking at a couple of Irish Myth armies. I've a load of the old Erin range (remember them Karl?).
They are currently based up as Hordes of the Things armies so they are a re-basing project to look forward to!

Figures based for Hordes of the Things work pretty well, I've found. I've used a couple of decades-old HOTT armies for Lion Rampant with no ill effects. Indeed, in some ways, multi-basing is actually preferable, given the speed of movement it affords. We just add one or two singly unit based figures to the back of a unit after removing a base if the casualties don't match. With the DR strength points, it sounds as if you wouldn't need to bother even with that.

These are some of the HOTT bases (painted hurriedly circa 1991, when the rules were just out) that form my usual LR retinues. They win few points for painting, but many for glory under Lion Rampant's 70s/80s rule! My preferred Orcish retinue from this lot involves 1 x Foot Men-at-Arms (heavily armed orc guards), 2 x Fierce Foot (orcs and half-orcs), 3 x Bidowers (orc skirmishers) and 1 x Archers (orc bowmen). The chaos horde tends to get the heavy wolfriders for some reason (1 x Mounted Men-at-Arms), along with chaos warriors (2 x Foot Men-at-Arms) and either beastmen (1 x Fierce Foot) and a couple of packs of degenerate creatures (2 x Serfs) or chaos beasts (the jabberwock and/or minotaurs for an additional unit of Mounted Men-at Arms).

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 11:08:57 PM »
More lovely work on show! Cheers  :)

The 70s/80s bonus has been very slightly modified to make it relevant to the pre-slotta era. It's an important rule to get right!

And a fair bit of my own playtesting used HotT armies, as mentioned the bases don't really make a difference. So no real need to rebase, and you can keep playing HotT too.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »
Here are some of the Formorians in my HoTT armies that will be making the cross over to Dragon Rampant. I need to find the boxes with my Sidhe and Sons of Mil now!

[/url]

Online TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
I think I'll be doing a small Dark Elf force that can do double duty in Age of Sigmar.
I have the plastics in the pile and it looks like I'll never get to do that Warhammer Army I always planned  :'(
So I'm thinking:
A unit of 6 Cold one Knights (elite riders) 6
6 Dark riders (Light riders) 4
12 Corsairs (light foot but maybe plus missiles) 3
12 Spearmen (hvy foot) 4
12 crossbowmen (missiles) 4
That leaves 3 points for an upgrade of some sort or two.
I put one of the corsairs together today and he looks quite good on a round base (and I don't have to worry about ranking him up).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:19:21 PM by TWD »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 10:19:05 PM »
Those Fomorians look terrific! The leader with the sword (next to the wizard) is a classic miniature. Those were originally produced by Grendel Games, were they not?

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »
Those Fomorians look terrific! The leader with the sword (next to the wizard) is a classic miniature. Those were originally produced by Grendel Games, were they not?

I believe so, well at least some of them. I got them from Alternative Armies (who have added to the range) when they first brought them out.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 09:05:18 AM »
can't wait will use the rules for Game of thrones!!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
can't wait will use the rules for Game of thrones!!!

I think you could get by for GoT using Lion Rampant for most things, unless you were going north of The Wall! :o

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »
Yep, I'm not up on GoT (possibly the only gamer, ever, not to be!), but I've heard from plenty of people who are using Lion Rampant.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
I am using Lion Rampant at the moment but I would like to include the occasional Dragon or white walkers!