Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:47:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spilling the beans on Dragon Rampant  (Read 14681 times)

Offline danmer

• Librarian
Spilling the beans on Dragon Rampant
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
I'm slowly starting to get posts up on my blog explaining how Dragon Rampant works, especially in relation to its Daddy Game, Lion Rampant.

So far I've posted about Strength Points, building a warband, and the available troop types, but there's more to come, including a whole swathe of sample warbands from my collection.

Peruse those spilled beans here: http://merseybooks.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/dragon%20rampant

Dan

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Spilling the beans on Dragon Rampant
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
Great stuff Dan, painting up forces as we speak for this

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
What are you painting Lowtardog? Always interested to hear what people are up to!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:16:43 PM »
Painted already I have a dwarf Landsknecht force and orc and goblin army again landsknecht inspired

In the wings a dwarf roman army and dwarf highlander army who in the main are a lead pile. Originally for God of battles but your rules allow much more flex in lists😁

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
This is great!

I've been planning a warband along these lines:

Goblin chief and giant goblin guards: Elite Foot @ 6
Goblin witch and guards: Elite Heavy Missiles @ 5
Goblins ambushers: Scouts @ 2
Goblin warriors: Light Foot with Mixed Weapons: @ 3
Goblin-soldiers of greater stature:Bellicose Foot @ 4
Troll thralls: Heavy Foot @ 4

I hope I've got my sums right! Here's the retinue (apologies if photos aren't wanted here - I'll delete if so). The plastics are being gradually replaced with old lead for maximum glory points!

One thing I'm really keen to exploit in DR is the potential for having things like mounted leaders of foot units (as in some of John Blanche's goblin illustrations from early Warhammer), units with war hounds and units with mixed sizes (like the goblin chief and his giant guards). In that regard, I've got a unit of Ali Morrison's marvellous hobgoblins on the painting table, led by his mounted half-orc and with a hobhound handler and beasts making up the front rank. None of it has any effect on the mechanics, of course, but it looks quite striking.

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:35 PM »
I've also been following your posts Dan and made an order from Perry today to make a human faction for Dragon Rampant (hopefully to fight westfalias halflings  :D )

The list ended up something like this:

Fancy knights: Heavy riders @ 4 pts
Squiers: Light riders @ 4 pts
2 x City guards: Light foot @ 3 pts (4 if they add some crossbows?)
Palace guards: Heavy foot @ 4 pts
Light gun: Heavy missiles @ 4 pts

@Hobgoblin, Nice painting, love the old school miniatures!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:58:18 PM by tomek917 »

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:12:46 PM »
Lovely ideas being thrown around on here! I'm really enjoying the creativity being unleashed  :)

@Hobgoblin, great work and a nice collection of minis… I spotted a Runequest troll in there, one of my favourite ranges ever. One thing I saw in your list: the rules don't have Elite Missiles, so you can either create your own upgrade there, or maybe use the 1 point to make their missiles Enchanted (giving a 1 in 6 chance of more damage). Your call!

@tomek917, your Light Foot could add short range missiles for 1pt (usually javelins), or you could look at  various fantastical upgrades for them: a spot of Hatred might go down a treat (but don't make them hate anything too tough as they'll be eaten alive!).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:59:30 AM by danmer »

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 05:33:17 AM »
Very excited about this. 
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »

@tomek917, your Light Foot could add short range missiles for 1pt (usually javelins), or you could look at  various fantastical upgrades for them: a spot of Hatred might go down a treat (but don't make them hate anything too tough as they'll be eaten alive!).

Would that give them some benefits in combat against certain enemies?

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
It gives them a Wild Charge

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
I'm planning several forces, but the first to hit the painting table are my goblins:

As some of you may note these are Games Workshop Night Goblins who have languished on their sprues for years. Partly because I lost interest in Warhammer, but mostly because I could not bring myself to paint their skin green.

So onto the Dwarves, Wood Elves, Human Barbarians (including chariots!) and others...

I am also thinking that I have a ton of Lord of the Rings figures that it would be interesting to playing using Dan's rules.

Excited? Moi?  lol
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »
I've been buying up a load of old Grenadier models specifically for Dragon Rampant.  A few other thigs in the way on the painting table but looking forward to painting them. First up the lovely Copplestone Wood Elves!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »

As some of you may note these are Games Workshop Night Goblins who have languished on their sprues for years. Partly because I lost interest in Warhammer, but mostly because I could not bring myself to paint their skin green.

Hear, hear! I'm old enough to remember when even GW didn't always paint its orcs green and have been appalled to see the greenification of goblins everywhere in the time I've been out of gaming. Nice work on the night goblins - I like their ochre hue!

I am also thinking that I have a ton of Lord of the Rings figures that it would be interesting to playing using Dan's rules.

I'd painted up a couple of the GW LotR wolfriders (the ones that have mounts that actually look a little like wolves rather than hyenas) for SBH, with the remainder neglected. I noticed the other day that they come, quite serendipitously, in sixes. The remaining four are now on the painting table ...

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
I'll second (third?) the comments on the armies posted here, great stuff.  :D

I always really liked Hordes of the Things more for the ability to create interesting armies than the rules themselves, so I'm looking forward to Dragon Rampant coming out.

I've masses of LOTR figures (mostly non-GW) to use. I'll also be looking at a couple of Irish Myth armies. I've a load of the old Erin range (remember them Karl?).
They are currently based up as Hordes of the Things armies so they are a re-basing project to look forward to!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:43:42 PM by Sunjester »

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Really like the look of what I see so far. :)