Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:42:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What type of Captain will you make?  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: What type of Captain will you make?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:46 AM »
Yeah, that starting stat increase is what I find to be the most difficult to decide on. Not facing many spells that require resisting, so probably won't go with extra Will, and as (aside from his powered up one-use-only shot) he won't be a much better archer than the normal troops, I don't think the shoot is that useful either. Leaves Health (always good - more survivable and less quickly wounded), Fight (always good, both offensively and defensively) and Movement (mostly if looking to equip him with mail, but running around 10.5" with a double move is always nice as well). Then again, if he hangs out with a knight, might as well move 5 too. Health can still be upgraded later on, but surely, more is always better. Fight and Move can also be upped with spells or potions, but once gain, more is never a bad thing.

TL;DR: Aaargh, choices.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: What type of Captain will you make?
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 01:54:28 PM »
Yeah, that starting stat increase is what I find to be the most difficult to decide on. Not facing many spells that require resisting, so probably won't go with extra Will, and as (aside from his powered up one-use-only shot) he won't be a much better archer than the normal troops, I don't think the shoot is that useful either. Leaves Health (always good - more survivable and less quickly wounded), Fight (always good, both offensively and defensively) and Movement (mostly if looking to equip him with mail, but running around 10.5" with a double move is always nice as well). Then again, if he hangs out with a knight, might as well move 5 too. Health can still be upgraded later on, but surely, more is always better. Fight and Move can also be upped with spells or potions, but once gain, more is never a bad thing.

TL;DR: Aaargh, choices.

I'm not against flavorful builds, but Fight is superior to every other stat point for point, as it determines melee offense/defense, influences melee damage, and is used for ranged defense.  Will is too situational in my opinion, and Health can readily be simulated through Defense (if wounded twice, each point of armor would essentially be equivalent to two points of Health).  The Captain can possibly be equipped with Mail +1, Shield +1, and the +1 Defense amulet and ring, giving him a Defense of 17 (19 with the Shield spell!), so that two points of Health isn't going to make or break him.  If the Captain is going to focus on ranged combat, then Shoot would be the logical choice; I can also see occasional situations in which +1 Movement could be chosen (example: leads a group of Treasure Hunters).  Generally, I think that +1 Fight is the way to go except for a ranged Captain.

Saving the more tricksy or flavorful builds, I think that a general melee Captain would aim for +1 Fight, +2 Hand Weapon, +1 Mail or Leather (depending on what you want his Move to be, +1 Shield, and two remaining items to taste.  He would have +5 Fight (+7 with Strength or Combat Awareness) and 14 or 15 Defense (16/17 with Shield spell).