Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Beginning Frostgrave  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
Beginning Frostgrave
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
Hey all just discovered Frostgrave and these forums. Slowly trying to get my warband together and will post pictures as I get it figured out. I've never really played a miniatures game so am a little lost on terrain. I'm thinking of buying some of the Pegasus gothic pieces but was wondering what people think about the paper stuff? I noticed Fat Dragon Games has their sets 50% off but I've never used any of it.  Is it usable for helping to build up a table when starting out and also how hard is it to setup? 

Thanks in advance and I have to say I love looking through all of your threads and getting ideas! 

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
Re: Beginning Frostgrave
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
A buddy of mine uses the paper terrain onto of a foam card base and that works really well. Has the advantage that you don't have to paint your terrain as well as make it.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
I'm not the craftiest person so I may look into more of the Pegasus and GW stuff to start a table.  As a beginner what size do you make your boards? I'm thinking 1ft square. 

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:42:56 PM »
Depends on what you are wanting to do.  Some people like 1ft square sections, but I personally do not like the extra gaps.  On the other hand, larger setups require you to actually plan around where to store things, and can prove troublesome for transportation.

I am actually trying to sell my group on this sort of thing, so I am putting together a new set of terrain, and I'm hoping to document the process.  So keep an eye out for that.  But as a preview, since your location says Colorado, let me make a suggestion: you can buy a 2ft by 2ft piece of MDF at Lowes or Home Depot that can serve as a perfect surface.  MDF is a bit heavy, but with the dimensions already figured out for you and the price being something like $6 US, it is a great way to get started for relatively low investment.

Regarding buildings, paper can look really good, but I'm in this for the hobby, so I've acquired some Pegasus and GW stuff myself.  I'll be making other buildings from balsa and foamcore.

Offline markdienekes

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 07:09:47 PM »
You could also look into getting a 3x3 foot PVC roll mat table... I got mine done for around 20 sterling pounds and selected a decent mat from wargamevault. I chose Frost ruins.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »
Welcome to the world of Frostgrave!

Ive seen loads of really great looking paper terrain,punted on foam core it looks pretty good and robust. If you end up looking elsewhere there are loads if bits of great and appropriate  resin terrain from people like Scotia Grendal, Fenris etc. Caliver books also do some. And there are the Rendera plastic ruins of course. Or then again on these boards you'll see some amazing results with Aquarium bits and pieces and children's toys repurposed.

Loads of good options. Just have fun!

Offline GypsyBreath

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »
Evenings

Im waiting on my mousemat 3x3 mats from urbanmatz - cant wait!
i've no experiance with Papercraft terrain, as i do like paint up my stuff.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
Welcome to the frozen city! (Colorado is one of my favourite places in the world by the way).

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
Really appreciate all the tips.  Been trying to catch up on some of your threads and blogs for ideas.  After attempting a card stock basic cottage I think I'm going to have to go with some pre made stuff.  I'm torn on whether I would like a mat or to do some boards.  I'm waiting on my Reaper order for a few more mini's and hopefully I can get a game going.

Thanks for all the answers and hopefully I can post up some stuff soon.

Offline Nooblord

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:34:35 PM »
Don't forget about resin aquarium ornaments. Some are very expensive whilst others are very good value. I have 2 large and 2 small aquarium ruins (that's about one square foot's worth with lots of height too) that will make it onto my table for less than £25 (i.e. less than GW's Garden of Morr which I will also use).

Just remember to look at the measurements to see if the scale seems appropriate when ordering online.

Also wedding cake pillars, especially ones made of plaster, are almost compulsory on a Frostgrave table it seems.

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:48:12 PM »
Yea I'm hoping to find some coupons or something for the local chain pet shops to find some bridges or what not. Great idea about those wedding cake pillars. Definitely going to check a hobby shop that has cake stuff in it.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »
Hi Lamilvelo

I built my boards on 30cm squares and constructed most of my city with Pegasus and home made buildings...

I cannot rate the Pegasus stuff highly enough

Lots on my blog starting here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/frostgrave-terrain-part-2.html

A few piccies...and before anybody asks NO I AM NOT ADDING SNOW

Good Luck

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
I built my boards on 30cm squares and constructed most of my city with Pegasus and home made buildings...
Wow!  I can't praise that enough, Eric!  A really impressive and beautiful gaming board.  Wish I could play Frostgrave with you.   ;)
Mike

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »
Eric your blog is part of the reason I wanted the Pegasus buildings!  May i ask how you made those boards with the cobblestone look?

Offline Koers

• Student
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »
Eric, could you tell where you got the circulair building with the statue in the middle?
Really fell in love with that one!

sorry about the hijack btw ;)