Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690804
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules question re Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
Rules question re Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
I picked up Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish at the weekend and am having great fun working out factions. I do have a rules question, however.

Although characters can carry more than one weapon, the only advantages to doing so appear to be that you can chose which one to use when making an attack, and will have a spare if disarmed. As far as I can see there are no rules for dual wielding weapons as such. Is this right?

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
Re: Rules question re Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »
yep you are correct, models can only attack with one weapon per turn. The choice just gives you options but you must decide each turn which weapon your using, for example you couldn't attack with a bow with your first activation then a sword on the second activation.

Offline hummus

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »
is otherworld available in pdf or is it just in print form?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:59:56 PM »
It was available in PDF at one point from a shady looking website...so I passed.  I'd like to find it at a reputable online download site.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:32:57 AM »
It was available in PDF at one point from a shady looking website...so I passed.  I'd like to find it at a reputable online download site.

Do you mean this one?https://gumroad.com/l/asobK

It seems to be the same download site that Crooked Dice now use, I'm assuming due to the changes in EU VAT rules for downloads. It does seem a bit odd that - unlike CD - Otherworld don't seem to advertise or link to the download on their own website, but I'm not sure about shady. Is it not a good site? I'm tempted by the pdf. ???

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:51:30 AM »
If people have used it and it's legit, by all means.  When I first found the link I was a bit too skeptical about a scant page with a random "put in your credit card number!" type pop-up to order it.  If that's the legit site, let me know.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 10:05:40 AM »
Gumroad is all above board, Otherworld's Facebook page advertised the link last year when the rules were released and you can download freebies their too, yep Crooked-dice use gumroad too. just watch your final cost as some people have complained that going back and forth from USD to GBP adds a little but this may have been resolved.

(btw: this is because of the EU's attempt get Amazon to pay more taxes makes it far too complicated to for smaller outfits to sell online internationally)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
Done and downloaded. Finally amount came to £12.37 including VAT and conversion from USD via Paypal. Was a bit surprised to see the £2 VAT added once payment was complete, but the actual dollar amount paid was what was shown before I made the order.

Might be a plan for OW to promote the pdf option as the only way I could find it was to visit the Crooked Dice website so I could remember what the download site was called, then google 'Gumroad Otherworld Fantasy'! lol

Gumroad doesn't seem to be a conventional download site like Wargames Vault as there's no search option or categories, so it definitely relies on the producer to promote the product and provide links.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
Cool, if it's good-to-go, I'll probably download myself a copy soon.  The site just didn't look legit when I first visited it.

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer Psullie. I though that was the case.

I have a particular model I want to use, who is armed with two swords. I could convert her, but, frankly, I don't want to.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/bones%20ranger/latest/77022#detail/IG_2579_1

With that in mind I have house-ruled a new combat skill. Here it is if anyone wants to give it go.

Dual Wield
The model is trained to fight with a weapon in each hand. They may be armed with two basic melee weapons and, for one action, may make an attack with each. Obviously a model can dual wield a two-handed weapon, nor can they dual-wield a trained, advanced or magic weapon. They can dual wield a different weapon in each hand. When dual wielding, weapons special effects are ignored. A model cannot dual wield when making a free attack or charging. A model who is dual wielding, may not use a shield.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
looks good, does however allow for a model to make 4 attacks each round - this is a lot for, I'd perhaps limit this to 1 use per turn.

For Beyond the Seven Seas I allowed models to use a sword/dagger combo to gain an extra parry in melee - but your option allows for a more Drizzit like approach which would suit Otherworld better