Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:51:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Conquest FIW  (Read 3325 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Conquest FIW
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:24:55 AM »
So a recent thread has me thinking about doing a little FIW project, centered around the Fort Niagara area, blah, blah... and I've always been impressed with the Conquest line, but all the FIW threads around here seem to use Galloping Major, Redoubt, etc.

Any particular reason why? Just prefer them, or is there some terrible error in Conquest that I'll only discover after I've heavily invested? ::)

Pointers would be appreciated! Thanks!

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
Re: Conquest FIW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:14:26 AM »
The Conquest figures are outstanding.  IMHO the best around.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:15:44 AM »
The figures are small/slighter than almost all ofhers so you will be limited in your selection.

However with GM redoubt  you have more varied range of minis

Have a butchers on some of the threadson size comparison

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Conquest figures are very good but do not scale up with the other key ranges from Redoubt and Galloping Major.  These latter ranges have far more variety of figures and include those that Conquest don't currently offer.

In my opinion Galloping Major are the best followed closely by Redoubt although the latter's castings can sometimes be a bit hit and miss.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
For me it's the size. They are far too small for anything that i like to paint.

I done a comparison of a few ranges sometime ago here.
http://thecamlachiewolfe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/fiw-miniatures-comparison.html

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 09:30:57 AM »
I am a huge fan of GM and they are emy favourite FIW range, I have a mix o GM and Conquest (through Warlord) and use them together, which I have no problem with even though the Conquest ones are smaller, but wouldn't mix them up in a unit or anything. Depends how much it bothers you really! Both are great ranges just different sculpting styles.

I don't have any Redoubt....yet.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »
IIRC correctly, the sizing for FIW/AWI goes

Eureka
Conquest
Perry
Galloping Major
Redoubt
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »
Conquest figures are very good but do not scale up with the other key ranges from Redoubt and Galloping Major.  These latter ranges have far more variety of figures and include those that Conquest don't currently offer.

In my opinion Galloping Major are the best followed closely by Redoubt although the latter's castings can sometimes be a bit hit and miss.

What he said!

Much more variety available via Galloping Major and lovely characterful sculpts they are.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »
I've painted them all and Conquest, Eureka, and Perry go together very well. Between those three you pretty much cover the whole conflict. You can also throw in some of Kings Mountain Miniatures "Over the Mountain Men" as settlers. I have had Galloping Major stuff on my table and as long as you keep them in separate units the difference in size isn't glaring. 

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
I pref the Conquest for Native Americans, Rangers, and Canadian Irregulars and the Galloping Major for more regular types and settlers (the sailors are especially fantastic.) Redoubt has some wonderful vignettes (at least 5 scalping scenes), Native American civilians, whaleboats, siege troops with ladders, etc. that you simply aren't going to find anywhere else.

My feeling is that so long as you keep the troops in separate units they work quite well together. Perhaps you could boost the Conquest stuff on their bases or use 2mm high for others and 3mm high for Conquest.

I am looking forward to see where the Galloping Major goes now that the obligatory Rangers, Indians, and Courier de Bois are out of the way. It sounds like British regs are coming, and I'd love to see Grenadiers, Highlanders, Artillery, Light Infantry, and some vignettes like Redoubts stuff. I'd say GM is the one to watch as Conquest hasn't made anything new in years and GM does men in trihorns particularly well and great action poses.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
Galloping Major gets my vote, lovely poses and a good mix of troops.  Once Lance does his regular British and French I'll be investing in those too   :)

Redoubt have some useful figures, especially the regulars and French Marines which scale in well with the GM figures.

Galloping Major Militia painted by the LAFs very own Jeff965

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:51 AM »
Galloping Major for the win! Just cleared out my PayPal so I could have a little bit of everything I need to get started. Thanks for enabling, everyone! ;) :)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »
Galloping Major for the win! Just cleared out my PayPal so I could have a little bit of everything I need to get started. Thanks for enabling, everyone! ;) :)

Just picked up your order LeadAsbestos - Many thanks,

Lance

A big thank you for your recommendations Gents  :D

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:40:25 AM by Galloping Major »