Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:09:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts on medieval terrain (UPDATE 1st January)  (Read 10402 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Thoughts on medieval terrain
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
That looks good  :)

I think a few bits of low scrub here and there would work quite well.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »
Regarding Tewkesbury, there was Tewkesbury park on the Yorkist left where the "Yorkist spears" hid. Possibly a deer park, so could the hedges have been there to stop the game from wandering? There were also fish ponds between the abbey and the back of the Lancastrian lines - apparently fish ponds were quite common in medieval times?
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
Nice start to your terrain boards, especially the sunken road.  Are you using straight blue foam without a base board? If so how does it stay un-warped?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 08:05:57 PM »
Nice start to your terrain boards, especially the sunken road.  Are you using straight blue foam without a base board? If so how does it stay un-warped?

Thanks!
No, I've gone for 20mm thick blue foam on a 9mm MDF baseboard, with battens around the edges of the foam to keep it getting chipped.
And for the flat boards with no sunken features, I just use the 9mm MDF with the battens underneath, no foam, but giving the same height.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
I think a few bits of low scrub here and there would work quite well.
Actually after taking those pics, I tried out just throwing some loose clumps of lichen around the edges of the tree / hedge bases. Works really well to hide the base edges, thicken everything up, and tie everything together. I think I'll keep a box of loose lichen handy for every game, and hope that it doesn't get everywhere!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »
Really nice Charlie. Agree that a little scatter material really helps knit everything together. Looking forward to seeing more  :)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 03:32:45 AM »
I suppose the broad question is what sort of base terrain are you thinking of building on.

I am using several types depending upon what battlefield type I want to represent. Depth is a real issue and I think if you need to go down in depth you can't go past terrain boards. I find the best water systems are depicted in depth. But if you have any specific battlefield you want to replicate, then cloth draped over foam hills can be spectacularly effective for rolling hills. You can plonk on whatever features you want either way.

I have built one battlefield using synthetic fur and foam boards for a specific medieval battlefield but it is rigid in that it is what it is - and transportable it is not.

A great piece of advice I have always remembered - nature generally abhors a straight line.

I think forests can be fought in but the forest limits are best defined by a base on which tree and brush stands can be moved about on allowing figures to be moved through it.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 07:04:51 AM »
Would evil lanes be foot paths through dense undergrowth,maybe they had to backtrack or got ambushed a lot??

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 08:35:51 AM »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 10:21:17 AM »
Would evil lanes be foot paths through dense undergrowth,maybe they had to backtrack or got ambushed a lot??

Maybe. I'm guessing 'rough', 'poor going', or 'uneven' was meant, or even 'evil-looking'. A series of tracks connecting various copses, closes, water meadows and whatever, would certainly be confusing to outsiders and would also provide the concealment needed. Gaps in the landscape known as 'rides' are relatively recent (within 300 years or so), but they often replace previous networks of tracks.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
That's pretty evil-looking to me and certainly pretty much what I was picturing in my head, although somewhat less dense; like this one.

Which is pretty much what Charlie is pulling off with his rather splendid board.

But yes, sunken lanes, hollow ways or holloways, works for me. Certainly until something like that opened out into a meadow, nobody would see you coming.

'Evil lanes' comes from a description of the Battle of Tewkesbury;

"In the front of their field were so evil lanes, and deep dykes, so many hedges, trees and bushes, that it was right hard to approach them near..."  

I've never come across it otherwise either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:19:28 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
I've always thought Graham Turner's gorgeous painting of Edward IV descending the hedgerow bank into a sunken ditch or lane, summed up the higgledy-piggledy nature of the battlefield rather well.

I have this print in all its glory hanging on my wall  8)

Possibly a bit sanitised... But bearing in mind the artist is a renowned medieval re-enactor as well as a top illustrator, and with a long connection to the annual Tewkesbury Medieval Festival, he ought to know his stuff...

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
Possibly a bit sanitised...

Yeah, the look on that fellas face bottom left certainly doesn't say "I'm gonna get stabbed!"  lol

Lovely painting though  :)

cheers

James

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
I think your boards are off to a GRAND start.
I like your tree bases too. Those will line a lane or field quite splendidly!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »
Yeah, the look on that fellas face bottom left certainly doesn't say "I'm gonna get stabbed!"  lol

Yes I've noticed the same chap as well and found him quite funny!

I think your boards are off to a GRAND start.
I like your tree bases too. Those will line a lane or field quite splendidly!

Thanks!

Currently I have 4 foot square of open land (one 2x4 and two 2x2s), one 2x4 with a plain boring straight road, and the two I posted above (the one with the ditch is being flocked and finished tonight, I'll post a pic).

So enough for a battlefield for sure!
I have a river planned, complete with ford, and several 2x3 boards with a narrow winding stream (perhaps with wetland) that can branch off from the larger river of just come from the table edge. But I've yet to experiment with water effects, so that can wait til some time in the future. For now I'm enjoying the roads and lanes... I think I'll do another sunken section with some sunken paths leading off from the main track.