Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689758
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts on medieval terrain (UPDATE 1st January)  (Read 10386 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Thoughts on medieval terrain
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
I've always thought Graham Turner's gorgeous painting of Edward IV descending the hedgerow bank into a sunken ditch or lane, summed up the higgledy-piggledy nature of the battlefield rather well.

Yes, I think so too. Certainly I've clambered down similar breaches in a hedgerow like that in the past.

I think your boards are off to a GRAND start.

Indeed they are, I'll be following this with interest.  :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »
very good start
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline TimK

• Assistant
  • Occasional modeller
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 11:07:03 AM »
Some of the stuff I've read suggests that the undergrowth was cleared "a bowshot" either side of main roads to prevent ambush and robbery.

Pollarding occurred for a number of reasons, in Epping Forest the peasantry was allowed to take wood above the height they could reach with upstretched arm, say about 7 feet or so. trees regrew with multiple branches above this height.

For interest you could have a bit of semi-derelict Roman road, bits survived then (and still do).

Tim

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
Apologies in advanced for the blurry pics.

Here's the finished road and ditch section.

Things are starting to come together....

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Thoughts on medieval terrain (new pics, 17th november)
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
Looking good  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
That's looking very nice.

There's a couple of Shire Publications you may find interesting 'Medieval Roads and Tracks' being one.  I have one on town planning which included some nice detail on field systems, can't find it at present for the exact title but I think it was Medieval Town Plans.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Concerning evil lanes, wasn't there a place called Malfosse or "Evil Ditch" at the Battle of Hastings? I don't have my books at hand...

Great project and interesting discussion btw!  :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
That looks the bees knees.

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 02:35:42 AM »
It looks very nice! Don't forget to put some kind of sealer over the flock to stop it from coming off, and make sure you provide chairs for playing so that people aren't tempted to stand over the table and lean on it, thus compressing the foam and damaging the scenery.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 07:58:42 AM »
Very nice indeed ! I give mine a blast with my airbrush filled with a mix of 50% H2O and 50% white glue. Fixes everything very well.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
Proper handsome  8)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »
That looks really good.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »
Excellent thread! and nice work. :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Thoughts on medieval terrain (new pics 26th november - AN 8x4 TABLE AT LAST!)
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »
Ok, here we go. Not much over a year after deciding to get back into wargaming, and subsequently starting from scratch, I am finally ready to play a game!

No new boards since my last pics other than flat open ones, but this is the first time I've put it all together to make the much-desired 8x4 foot gaming table.

Apologies for the bad pics, but I'm not trying to show you detail here, just the big picture!

This is very exciting for me. I live in a small flat, nice and spacious when you are living by yourself, but not necessarily ideal for setting up an 8x4 gaming surface. But I knew it could be done!!!!

I've had vague plans on how I was going to do this over the last year, always being aware that it might not work. But this weekend I put it all together, and it works. The important points I had to consider were:
1 - I need to be able to take it all apart and store it fairly easily.
2 - When set up, there needs to be enough room for at least 3 people to move around.
3 - It really wants to be 8x4. Not essential, but it would be a real shame if there wasn't room for it.
4 - I can move furniture to make room for it, the less moving to do the better. Nonetheless this shouldn't be considered a problem, as it will really be set up for games, say, once a month.

Making the terrain boards was one thing, but finding a good strong, level surface to put them on was another. The answer is two folding drop-leaf tables of roughly the same dimensions. One I use as my everyday painting table, the other doesn't take up much room when folded up and is stored in the hallway. Put together, they don't quite have enough surface area for the 8x4 boards. So I've constructed a sort of frame, with two 8 foot pieces that keep it together, which are bolted to a 'floating' section that bridges the gap between the two tables. Irritatingly the tables have a 2cm height difference, so a couple of boards are placed on top of the shorter one to get it all at the same height. To ensure it's level and solid, most discrepancies can be solved with folded up pieces of cardboard in strategic places!

And it works. It's a pretty damn solid tabletop, those boards aren't going to be sliding around during a game. When packed away, as well as the two tables all I have to find room to store are a few boards (which go behind or underneath the sofa) and 2 8-foot pieces of pine (which are leaned in a corner in the hallway). And the only furniture-moving that needs to be done to set up a game is to slide the sofa against a wall, move one table and bring the other one in from the hallway. Plenty of room for players to move around it.

So here's what we have....

And with terrain and an army on it.

So far I just have open fields and road boards, one with a ditch and one being a sunken lane, as posted before. Terrain pieces I have so far are just trees and hedges, plus a few walls and fences and that walled field. I have plenty more planned - more trees and hedges, boards with streams, ditches, and rivers, and a cottage or two. But before that it's probably time I treated myself to a game at last!

The army is still growing as well. What you see here is most of the collection (a couple of new units on the workbench nearly finished too), which will be split into two forces for games. If you're wondering, it's a late medieval / game of thrones hybrid, but leaning much more towards the historical than the fantasy. Basically 15th century with 'fantasy' heraldry.

I plan to invite some friends over for the first game before christmas. Plans for the new year are more boards and terrain, growing the army at a more leisurely pace (though I haven't yet painted any cavalry...), and getting myself a proper camera to get this all showcased on a blog.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:27:19 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Some more pics, now with the collection split into two opposing forces. This is what the game will look like. I'll be using my own ruleset, which I think I'm going to call Battleline (there isn't already a ruleset with that name is there?). It's what us wargamers call a 'massed battle' system, but I prefer the idea of a 'small battle' - big enough to justify forming your men up into ranks, but it's not supposed to represent 1000s of troops.