Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:50:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Build Something Contest 2017  (Read 43831 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Build Something Contest 2017 - DEADLINE REMAINS THE SAME. TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT
« Reply #405 on: February 18, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
Personally I entered this(and withdrew) for the fun of the build,and knowing there was a deadline.Once it became clear that work commitments meant I'd loose the sense of fun meeting the deadline I withdrew.
For me the competition was and is secondary. I've gained more enjoyment from reading everyone else's builds,and been inspired by the number of people who are simply building a model they have a use for,and are working to the same philosophy
 ' If I make it. Then I make it. If I don't,then I'll still  make it!'

I'm glad James has chosen not to extend the deadline. Because that's the point of any competition a time limit ,otherwise you've all been making Workbench Threads( hoping someone will send you a potato!)
It's not the end of the world if you drop out.
I don't think St James of the blue brick.has invented a ' Shunned ' patch for those who do.
( I wouldn't put it past him though)

Mark.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Build Something Contest 2017 - DEADLINE REMAINS THE SAME. TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT
« Reply #406 on: February 18, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
My own motivation for taking part was to get something done in a short timeframe, so I'm happy with the end result, even if I don't get a single vote.  Equally though, I've really enjoyed watching everyone else's threads, as much as I've enjoyed building my own project - there are some really talented guys on here, and frankly what LAF members can do with putty, card, wood, plasticard or the contents of the average recycling bin is inspirational.

Thanks everyone for your updates, and thanks again to Jim for running it - looking forward to seeing the photos in due course.

:)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #407 on: February 18, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
REALLY sorry for bringing this up!!! :o

Sorry, my intention was not to cause offence! My thinking was that this was a more relaxed competition! The fact the we've ALL been encouraging each other, participants egging on other participants, to go further and keep going was testament to this! But my comments seem to have been taken wrongly or ,somehow, in the wrong context!

James, sorry for any hassle!!!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »
Build finished and photo sent

Mick

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #409 on: February 18, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
Photo sent....if you can call it that.
I had not realised what a pig something of that design would be to get decent pictures of.

A different colour scheme would have helped, in hindsight....I will probably paint another one later once the competition is over.

Oh, well. I entered this more as a challenge to make something that I normally would not have and also with the remit to make something that could be cast up.
Getting to see everyone else make some truly wonderful stuff has been a real treat and just goes to show what talent there is around here.

Lets hope that this helps spur everyone on to 'make more stuff' even if there is no contest to give you the kick up the backside.
 :D

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #410 on: February 18, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »
Although I will be building and painting until the 11th hour (which may only be the 7th hour in this time zone and they will be prying the paint brush and superglue from my cold dead hands) I see no way save if the Tardis materializes in my house that I will finish the Sparrow on time. I really do appreciate the willingness of others to extend the deadline (part of the reason the LAF is a such a great place) but I am glad James you did not change the deadline as it is an integral part of the competition. My earlier comment should only have been taken as my off hand way of indicating I likely will not make the deadline; not advocating an extension. Like has been mentioned by others, the competition has been secondary for me but a great motivator to get something built and a chance to see some great projects come together.

Steve, I do hope you reconsider as I have found your build so inspiring and so deserving to the entered.

Cheers and best luck to those who have submitted on time. Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces

At least now I will be able to post more WIP shots. :)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #411 on: February 18, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »
 Braz, yours is one of my favourites  ;) :D

Folks, there really is no drama associated with my withdrawal: just me sticking with a highly *personal* principle. There's no offence taken by me and I've intended no offence to anyone else, honestly.  :) Quite simply, because of what I'd previously written I would have been a hypocrite if I'd not voiced disagreement with the proposal, and being the first to raise disagreement I did not want to be able to gain any advantage by doing so. It'd be great if we could leave it at that as I'd rather the focus was on the comp. :)

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #412 on: February 18, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »
And I think that sentiment admirably draws a line under it. At least I got to see the marvellous dragon early!

On to the photos next week.

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #413 on: February 18, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »
Now submitted.  Not sure if I did it correctly, I've got a fever and the painting was done in a slightly delerious manner.  :-X
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #414 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:55 PM »
Now submitted.  Not sure if I did it correctly, I've got a fever and the painting was done in a slightly delerious manner.  :-X

My alternative entry will be in by midnight. I just have some finishing touches and photography to take care of.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #415 on: February 18, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »
Alternative entry? Ooh, I'm intrigued.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #416 on: February 18, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
One 800x800 photo of the finished thing (montages OK) and one 800x800 photo of the primered/unfinished thing, is that right?

I scanned through the initial rules post, could have sworn I saw that somewhere, but now can't.

Disregard the above, clearly the coffee hasn't kicked in yet this Saturday morning!

Final entries must consist of either one photo or a photo montage of the finished piece. No photo manipulation will be allowed apart from the usual cropping, white balance, contrast as long as they are within reason. Again, if you are unsure then please ask.

Photo size should be 800x800 pixles and sent as a jpeg to buildsomething@lead-adventure.de

AND DONE! Photo sent!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:17:03 PM by Wirelizard »

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #417 on: February 18, 2017, 11:37:58 PM »
Phew, finished!

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's models :)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #418 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
Talk about last minute.  :o   Sent my entry to James at 2359 hrs..... 

I had to stop painting to get the photos done, but at least it has paint on it.
Good luck to everyone that entered.  Really looking forward to seeing the final entries.  8)

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #419 on: February 19, 2017, 02:09:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for participating!  This contest has been a real inspiration to get me building again after a few years of nothing. Really looking forward to seeing the final photos.  JT