Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:50:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690933
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Conan by Monolith review  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Conan by Monolith review
« on: December 26, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »
Conan, the boardgame by Monoloith, came to be in a Kickstarter campaign and became one of the most successful campaigns ever to do so. Over 16.000 backers provided more than 3 million dollars to create a boardgame based on the barbarian hero from Robert E. Howard's stories. So what has become of it?

Conan is an example of a genre that has become very popular in the last years: the miniature boardgame. The Kickstarter campaign has of course spawned a sprawl of stretch goal extensions and extras so for clearity's sake I will limit myself to the basic game: still an impressive set in it's own right and one that should be available for retail by now.

If you want to read more, check here http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/2016/12/conan-by-monolith-review.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:26:46 AM by Pijlie »
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Conan by Monolith review
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:49:03 AM »
Very good review.

I too bought into the game, almost singularly for the miniatures...but I hope to finally break it out and get some games in the new year.

Were those your painted minis on your blog?  They look great!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »
Very good review.
I too bought into the game, almost singularly for the miniatures...but I hope to finally break it out and get some games in the new year.
Were those your painted minis on your blog?  They look great!

Thank you!
And yes, the photographed minis are mine, as is the paintwork. I am about three quarters underway with painting the whole bunch...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »
Dear Pilje,
Thank you for that review. I managed to get hold of a kings pledge at a reasonable price and am really as excited about both minis and rules as you are!

My only criticism - apart from some mediocre sculpts like the lion - is the strange stylistic break between the cool archaic minis (conan, picts, stygians etc.) and some models resembling conquistadors or late Renaissance soldiers.

Otherwise. Top notch game, and especially the innovative movement and endurance system surprised me in a very positive way!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
My only criticism - apart from some mediocre sculpts like the lion - is the strange stylistic break between the cool archaic minis (conan, picts, stygians etc.) and some models resembling conquistadors or late Renaissance soldiers.

Otherwise. Top notch game, and especially the innovative movement and endurance system surprised me in a very positive way!

Thank you! The funny thing is, if you mean Zaporavo the pirate captain, that the sculpt is a spitting image of his description in the story he is in.  Complete with morion and all! But you have to be a total Conan nerd to know this.  lol

Actually Howard used a lot of historical sources and this resulted in many anachronisms, like the Aquilonean armies with pikemen, arbalesters and archers and heavy shock cavalry taken straight out of the Renaissance!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:53:28 PM »
Thank you! The funny thing is, if you mean Zaporavo the pirate captain, that the sculpt is a spitting image of his description in the story he is in.  Complete with morion and all! But you have to be a total Conan nerd to know this.  lol

Actually Howard used a lot of historical sources and this resulted in many anachronisms, like the Aquilonean armies with pikemen, arbalesters and archers and heavy shock cavalry taken straight out of the Renaissance!

Well, shame on me! I didnt know that!

My main source of visual inspiration for Conan is (and will always be) the excellent Arnold-movie from the 80s and what I imagine the time between when Atlantis sunk and the sons of Ajas rose to power should look like (i.e. somehow late Bronze Age).

Zaporavo found a new home in my Oldhammer collection, where he will lead an expedition to the fountain of youth!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 12:10:02 AM »
Nice review Pijlie.  I wrote my own thoughts on it a few weeks ago:

http://hootingintotheabyss.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/what-is-best-in-life-conan-2016.html?m=1

Like you my overall opinion was extremely positive.  It's a great game and one I'm very happy I own.  Unfortunately now I think I'll probably end up with some if not all of the expansions which will end up very expensive!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:11:11 AM »
I dove head first into the Kickstarter and bought all the expansions. I am labouring to get Wave 1 painted before the expansions arrive this summer.

Expensive? I like to call it an investment with great immaterial return  lol

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »

My main source of visual inspiration for Conan is (and will always be) the excellent Arnold-movie from the 80s and what I imagine the time between when Atlantis sunk and the sons of Ajas rose to power should look like (i.e. somehow late Bronze Age).

Zaporavo found a new home in my Oldhammer collection, where he will lead an expedition to the fountain of youth!

Howard had a passion for historical novels but felt they took too much time and effort to research properly so he made the regions of his hyborean era form a loose pastiche of "proto" versions of ancient and even 19th century historical settings. This let Conan travel to various "familiar to the reader" settings without Howard having to worry much about accuracy or even contemporary settings.  Conan could thus go from piracy to horror, to mystery to pioneer western to knights  to ancient egypt-like surroundings just by Conan moving from one region to another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »

They were solid sword and sorcery movies, I would argue that they're not really CONAN movies. They're pretty poor representations of the material to my mind.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »
I will agree...having now read a bunch of Conan (even visited Ron E. Howard's house!)...the movies are comical by comparison.  The old books are worth reading (keep in mind he wrote these in what, the 1920s-1930s?).  He's not a phenomenal author but it's good old fashioned story telling.  If you can find the Del Rey printed collections they were printed in the order the stories were released to magazines/publications.  Note that the stories released were not in chronological order.  Some compilations try to order them from his beginning as a rogue/thief up to his time as a king etc.

One story will be about Conan as a thief sneaking onto a pirate ship, the next will be as a King commanding an army, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!