Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak BSC2017 entry: V.I. Seahorse Ornithopter - UNDERCOATED - LAST PIC  (Read 12332 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak BSC2017 entry: V.I. XO-1 Ornithopter Shuttle/Transport
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »
Right, here goes nothing.
I'm posting pics in the album JB set up, hope I'm doing this correctly - but to follow the thread more easily, I'm reproducing these here.

I'm picking parts for the wedge-shaped ornithopter in the pic I've shown above, and which Overlord kindly found more views of.
I won't follow the exact design, just the general concept.

The wings are my main kit part, as I wanted a sleek pair which contrasted with the blocky fuselage, and I couldn't fabricate a pair in time - so my old lamented Matchbox Privateer kit wings will be used. The other bits shown are a pair of windscreen wiper bits, a section (slightly bent!) of the old style curtain-hanging coiled wire (does this stuff still exist?); and a pair of Tyranid arms which I considered for an organic element, but which I'm already changing my mind about, so will almost certainly be discarded. All these will (or will not!) be used for the wing support structure.

Next lot - some detailing parts. The two panels come from the Deadzone Kickstarter scenery - like the Nid parts above I am of two minds about these, and have spotted a better alternative (also not another model part!) as I was downloading the pics from my camera  :D
The two light grey structural parts come from a scrapped printer (I think!) and might form a tail - or undercarriage! As you can see my design is quite flexible and open to opportunities presented by the parts I manage to scrounge.
The other grey small square bit is packaging from some dental stuff, the last of a handful I had, and will be a grill - or a heat sink. The top part comes from a pair of cheap earphones - it doesn't really fit the design, but I want to try something once I have the fuselage built.

The main and very 100% confirmed parts for the fuselage, a very vertical affair. These are blue foam blocks from a discarded architects' model. Some faces are coated with a paint which adds a good deal of rigidity, but I will be covering the  blocks with plasticard to produce an even more rigid surface. The block shapes were picked from a bag of around 40 I have, and I only modified one of these slightly by cutting a new facet. As shown here, laid out in the orientation they will eventually be assembled in, we're seeing the port side, with front at top and the rear at the bottom of the pic.

The first step will be the wing assembly as this will determine how I attach these - I want a bit of joint structure visible and not a solid joint, which would not really work for an ornithopter (unless you assume a flexible material is being used), so this is a crucial part as I don't want them to be flimsy. If all goes well that bit of curtain wound wire thingy will be playing a critical role.
Following that I'll start on the plasticard covering over the blocks. Knowing my ability at this I'll be using a good bit of filler....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:43:52 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
good start
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
Spot of progress with wings and fuselage.
Here's two parts of the fuselage. The one to the right shows the blue foam with plastic sheetlining being added. The one to the left is nearer to completion, with filler in the process of being applied and smoothened to the gaps in the card. The old plastic Genestealer (another WIP) is there for scale.

Here are the wing struts (a.k.a. windscreen wiper bits) fixed to the wings. The coiled curtain wire is seen sticking out of one of these, close up in the subsequent pic.

This is the assembled wings - the round section inserted over the curtain wire will be inserted and glued across the fuselage, whilst the free ends of the struts will be attached to the sides.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 01:02:11 AM »
Starting to come together, and looks interesting!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 01:11:37 AM »
Very interesting. Have read the Dune book (35 yrs ago?) but not seen any imagery so this is an education too!  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
Interesting.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
Thanks guys.  :D
The interesting bit is I don't really see the Dune ornithopter as having this shape, although I like the design (pics on the first page of the thread) I'm loosely basing it on. I see the Dune design as being smaller and lighter, but then they did get the crew of the spice miner all on board a couple of these, so they can't be tiny.

I need to finish the fuselage parts and do some work on the wings before it begins to get really interesting i.e. when I start putting it all together.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
I really like where you going with this.
The wing assembly is inspired.
 8) 8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »
I really like where you going with this.
The wing assembly is inspired.
 8) 8)

Agreed.  8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
Aww, thanks guys.
One of my worries is a wing breaking off during or after construction, so I'm trying to make the assembly strong, whilst retaining the appearance of a joint instead of a solid wing-fuselage continuity, which isn't ideal for an ornithoptery look. The curtain wire should do the job, whilst the sleeve around it will hold it in place between fuselage sections. With some more thought and time a moving joint could be devised - not for toy action (well, why not....) but for posing the wings. But I'm sticking to the fixed position here.

And now for an intermission, and an exclusive to readers of this thread  ;) :

:o VANVLAK'S DUNE SPICE COFFEE RECIPE  :o
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons of coffee
1 espresso-sized cup
Enough hot water to fill cup
1 cinnamon stick (Dune Spice substitute)

Make coffee as usual - you can dilute if not to your taste as strong as indicated, and add sugar (although it might not work with the cinnamon taste).
Dip the cinnamon stick in the piping hot coffee for 2-3 minutes - or longer, according to your taste.
Remove cinnamon stick, rinse it, and keep it for reuse - it can be used several times.
Drink whilst hot - the cinnamon adds an exotic taste and removes the unpleasant coffee aftertaste.

Special edition: My wife uses cinnamon when she makes mulled wine at Christmas. I use the cinnamon sticks which have been used for this and removed before drinking, gives the coffee a particular taste.

HEALTH WARNING - it IS an acquired taste.... :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Looking good, Van.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
And now for an intermission, and an exclusive to readers of this thread  ;) :

:o VANVLAK'S DUNE SPICE COFFEE RECIPE  :o
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons of coffee
1 espresso-sized cup
Enough hot water to fill cup
1 cinnamon stick (Dune Spice substitute)

Make coffee as usual - you can dilute if not to your taste as strong as indicated, and add sugar (although it might not work with the cinnamon taste).
Dip the cinnamon stick in the piping hot coffee for 2-3 minutes - or longer, according to your taste.
Remove cinnamon stick, rinse it, and keep it for reuse - it can be used several times.
Drink whilst hot - the cinnamon adds an exotic taste and removes the unpleasant coffee aftertaste.

Special edition: My wife uses cinnamon when she makes mulled wine at Christmas. I use the cinnamon sticks which have been used for this and removed before drinking, gives the coffee a particular taste.

HEALTH WARNING - it IS an acquired taste.... :D

Heh, I tend to put a shake of allspice into my coffee grounds when I am brewing a pot, though I have been known to use cinnamon or cloves instead.

Certainly coming along here, so you must be drinking A LOT of that coffee...
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Certainly coming along here, so you must be drinking A LOT of that coffee...
You can say that again...
I've tried the cloves too, and orange peel. And anisette.  :D

I'm busy fitting panes to foam and wings and sealing the gaps. I'll soon have to stop to let things dry - so more coffee, followed by some undercarriage, for variety's sake. This won't be easy as it's going to be tall and top heavy. I've toyed with skis and wheels and floats, but will probably settle for landing pads, nice and wide to keep it steady.

Here's a task list - I was tempted to make a Gantt chart, but as my schedule for model work are highly irregular it wouldn't work. Green items are done, yellow are WIP, the rest are not started.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:56:42 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline AWOL

• Assistant
This looks very promising indeed!

I do like how you've made a schedue, Gantt or not, for the build. :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
This looks very promising indeed!

I do like how you've made a schedue, Gantt or not, for the build. :)
Thanks - and I just realised I forgot the engines - so it's about to be replaced.