Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF star wars discussion thread. SPOILERS!  (Read 21902 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF star wars discussion thread. SPOILERS!
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »
Indeed as I said each to their own  :)

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
Personally I'd call Rey a 'Paul Atreides' or 'Neo', rather than a 'Mary Sue' ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline chamberlain

• Assistant
  • Hhhhmmmmmm!
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
The term 'Mary Sue' is from Star Trek fan fiction where a character named that does everyone else's job better than the other characters.  Better at science thank Spock, medicine than Bones, Leading/fighting than Kirk.  That sort of thing.

I think it fits Rey very well.  She can do everyone's job and do it better than them.  Are there any exceptions?  Like at all?

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
The term 'Mary Sue' is from Star Trek fan fiction where a character named that does everyone else's job better than the other characters.  Better at science thank Spock, medicine than Bones, Leading/fighting than Kirk.  That sort of thing.

I think it fits Rey very well.  She can do everyone's job and do it better than them.  Are there any exceptions?  Like at all?

Ah also known as a "Janeway" in Star Trek circles lol

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2017, 06:14:46 PM »
I quite liked Last jedi, and im not really a Star wars fan (like the originals but everything else has left me cold) I did feel that some of the 'humourous' bits felt a little forced and upset the tone a bit. I know SW has often had a bit of muppetish slapstick to it (po. faced prequels apart) but it never jarred as much as this. It's enjoyable though.

I did like Rogue One a lot. That inspired me to go and buy the Star wars Risk (which isn't Risk at all.but a reimagined version of Avalon Hills Queens Gambit)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »
And still no rationilisation of why you'd let a farmboy fly a fighter into combat because he can fly cropduster.

He had friends who vouched for his skill and Leia who he just rescued.
I know Hyperspace travel is kinda wonky, but he got like 5 minutes worth of training that we saw from Ben and they only time he drew a saber on Dagobah was when Yoda told him not to.
No matter how many time passed between empire and jedi, he had no official training in between and handed Vader his ass in the end

We don't know how much training he actually did with Yoda or Ben but you did see him train in each thing giving him the creds.

You saw lightsaber training and instruction how to properly use it.
He was trained how to move objects.
He was shown the jedi mind trick.

Everything he learned he was given instruction. No matter how much or little of training was shown it was more then Rey as she is just fantastic without needing any instruction at all?

Example- Jedi master Yoda instructing Luke needed intense concentration to move objects while Rey casually moves a half a mountain of boulders neatly piling them to the side so her friends can walk out without any training whatsoever. o_o

Rey managed a mindtrick she heard from in the legends and fought a wounded student of the dark side. Not a sith lord.

Thank you for proving my own point in that she just heard of a mind trick and presto could do it herself. Kylo was more then a simple student he was under the personal tutelage of a Sith lord already capable of building his own lightsaber and steeped in the craft of the Sith. He should have been able to beat an untrained opponent sitting in a lawnchair, but instead she handed him his butt wounded or not.

I can really put both Luke and Han in a pretty bad light, but we love the films we grew up with and give them a lot of slack.
I just think that I, for one, might end up give the new trilogy some of the same..

I'm not telling you to like them and I can imagine you feel dissappointed, but when Star wars first came out, it was unique and grand.
We've been smacked with big budget sc-fi movies for decades now and I don't think they'll ever be able to capture the magic of our childhood.

Of course I'm disappointed they are destroying the SW I grew up with for no reason. I have no problems with a new SW for a new generation but for heavens sake make it good. SW was a good story and had far more character development that made people care. Sure the cool effects were a big deal, but the story was also great as effort was put into it. The new SW story has a lot of special effects, but no character that is why it's terrible imho.

The term 'Mary Sue' is from Star Trek fan fiction where a character named that does everyone else's job better than the other characters.  Better at science thank Spock, medicine than Bones, Leading/fighting than Kirk.  That sort of thing.
I think it fits Rey very well.  She can do everyone's job and do it better than them.  Are there any exceptions?  Like at all?

Bingo!

Christopher
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:37:05 PM by Axebreaker »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
It's easy guys.

The new star wars films are fan fiction.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »
Also, I was incredibly surprised to hear that each of the movies has been planned in isolation rather than as a trilogy. It appears Rian Johnson is in a bit of a low-level behind-the-scenes conflict with JJ Abrams, which partially accounts for TLJ's attempts to retcon or ignore several things established in TFA. I have no idea how this was allowed to happen at the higher level.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
It's easy guys.

No, they are not!  :D

Also, I was incredibly surprised to hear that each of the movies has been planned in isolation rather than as a trilogy. It appears Rian Johnson is in a bit of a low-level behind-the-scenes conflict with JJ Abrams, which partially accounts for TLJ's attempts to retcon or ignore several things established in TFA. I have no idea how this was allowed to happen at the higher level.

Search the net on the stories about the Kathleen Kennedy/George Lucas personal issues. Better yet: don't!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:55:24 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
It's easy guys.

Ah, finally a good point! What is now called LEGENDS was far more interesting and a carefully developed expanded universe with more logic, respect and interesting stories and characters that seemed to carry more truth. Thererfore - yes, fan fiction. By a new generation of fans perhaps, who vaguely know there was an Episode IV to VI beside something else - much like a mind trick...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
I was very much entertained. I understand that Luke is suffering from depression and yes, i like it when heroes stumble. Even Leia s walk in outta space is ok for me and I think it is one of the greatest strength of the latest Star Wars movies the they didnt let her die after Fishers  death!
I didnt like the Finn thing in the movie. He should have had his Kamikaze fate fullfilled.
I understand that many people didnt like this movie. My hint. Let it loose. The old times dont come back and dont hold your breath!
, ,

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
I am at a point that I never thought I would reach: A new Star Wars movie isn't really a big deal for me any longer. I am glad six-year-old Plynkes from 1977 isn't here to see me say that. Little bastard would be kicking my shins. He was, in order: in love with Leia, then Luke, and a few years later when Empire was released came to his senses and realised that it was Han and had always been Han. lol

I was given a Blu-Ray of Sam Peckinpah's 1978 movie "Convoy" for Christmas and my priority was to watch that instead. That was fun. Kris Kristofferson and Ernest Borgnine in a silly movie about truck drivers and cops. It was nice to see Kris in his prime again. I hear he's not doing so well these days.

But I did finally get around to seeing it today on an outing with some family members. There were things I didn't like about it, but they don't seem to be the same things that irked most everybody else. I'm not going to go on about them, though, because I don't think anybody cares what some random internet guy thinks (I certainly don't), and it would probably only start another argument.

But I loved what they did with Luke and Rey, and actually I've come to really, really like Kylo Ren. But yeah, it was all right. I enjoyed it while it was happening. That's about all I have to say. Star Wars just isn't important enough to me to get either super-hyped or massively disappointed any longer.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2017, 10:40:07 PM »
I have become so sick of the hype, the Star Wars pajamas/napkins/vitamins/pencils/clothing/everything to sponge off a few $$$ from the movies.

However, I found that I really liked the movie.  I was not expecting much from it but I was happily surprised.

Some things I liked:
- Snoke telling Kylo to take off his stupid mask.  That was surprising and clever.
- The relationship between Kylo and Rey.  That was interesting.
- Poe played more of a part in this and I liked it.
- Rose was an interesting character, not Hollywood glamorous but more like a real person.  I liked her.
- Finn added technical knowledge of the First Order's equipment.  That tied things together and made him important.  I would have understood if they had let him die in his kamikaze run, though.
- The small but significant part played by the dark BB8 droid ("Darth BB8?") in catching the good guys when they were in disguise.
- I was surprised that Poe's black x-wing was destroyed.  My son and I just built the Lego one.  I didn't expect that to happen.
- I did not really understand the Dark Pit on the island but I was glad that Rey found nothing instead of doing the same thing that happened to Luke on Dagobah in the cave.  That was a surprise.
- I liked seeing Yoda, again, and he surprised me by destroying the Jedi books
- I liked the twist of the Jedi being described as something bad but there should have been more development of some kind of future vision of Force users like a balance, a merge, gray Jedis, or something like that.  They hinted but should have described some kind of vision.
- Snoke was interesting.  I was surprised they did away with him after just a few scenes, though.

I would have liked to have seen some more or better:
- Luke and R2D2
- Luke and Chewbacca
- Where was Chewbacca while Rey was trying to get Luke to talk with her?
- If Lea is going to be magical and mystical and float back through space (which was alright) then there should have been some more foreshadowing to show that she "has the force" more than an average person
- The bombers at the start were goofy looking (to a guy who loves his wargame miniatures), still trying to figure out how Rose's sister opened the door without a whoosh of air escaping
- Those big cannon were firing a BALLISTIC trajectory in space.  The effect was cool but it didn't make sense.  Perhaps if they had been shooting underneath, as well, so it looked like the projectiles arced because that's how they worked as opposed to arcing because of gravity that doesn't exist up there
- The creatures on Luke's island were goofy looking.  They could have done better with the costumes/design, I think.
- Snoke's bodyguards were silly.  Good fight scene and I liked seeing them block light sabers with their armor, but snapping into kung-fu position AFTER a sudden movement made them look slow on the uptake.  Also, those red masks looked cheap and without character.  Star Wars should have done a lot better.

Anyway, I liked it and will go back again with my wife, this time, who was busy with my mother-in-law making Christmas Eve dinner.  I got the kids out of the house.  It was a GREAT arrangement for me...! :-)

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »
- I liked seeing Yoda, again, and he surprised me by destroying the Jedi books
You must have blinked at the wrong moment. Later in the film, you see that Rey had taken the books with her.

So when he said the temple contains nothing she does not already have, being the same old Yoda he was. :D

- Where was Chewbacca while Rey was trying to get Luke to talk with her?
Hanging out at the Falcon, barbecuing one of the merchandising opportunities. :)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »
Hanging out at the Falcon, barbecuing one of the merchandising opportunities. :)

lol lol lol lol lol