Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread  (Read 61430 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2021, 11:10:09 PM »
A few more pics from some more dungeoneering yesterday.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
Very nice and clean paintjob!
I agree about the Frostgrave Knights set! I had to buy two boxes of them... Very characterful heads, beautiful detailed bodies and tons of accessories. A made them mostly for Frostgrave, but they fit for Rangers of Shadow Depp, or any other fantasy game:
https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/2021/01/36-frostgrave-knights-kill-again.html?m=1

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2021, 08:05:28 PM »
Two more additions.

A 3D printed Arab thief/smuggler/salesman...which sadly was a bit "iffy" with the dip and flat-coat combo.  I'm a little unhappy with the result, but not enough to strip and redo it.

And a Hasslefree female dwarf.  Gorgeous sculpt, though I was a little sad to find my Hasslefree order being all quite small compared to everything else I own.  I'm going to make use of some of them, but sadly won't be buying more in the future.  This one is on a 25mm base and you can see how tiny she is.  She'll be pulling double duty as a halfling.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »
Disclaimer: I'm chuffed to bits.

I don't love painting.  I find it...bearable to paint to the level that I paint to (a nice...Table Top+ level).  I'm always daunted by miniatures, particularly detailed ones and big ones.  90% of the stuff I paint I find..."okay".  However, every now and then one of my miniatures just makes me smile.

This is a Tre Manor sculpt from Hasslefree, and I simply love the result.  I love the miniature and I love the colour scheme and I'm just...genuinely happy.  That's rare for me, but it always cheers me up. :D  He was even picked up specifically to be painted up as a bad guy encounter in the dungeon crawl.  Love this figure.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2021, 05:57:25 AM »
He looks great. Brilliant job. Colour pallete works very well.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2021, 06:02:24 AM »
Thanks, Beef!  I need a figure or two every month or so that I actually like, or I get to thinking I can no longer paint...and then I don't want to paint. :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2021, 06:22:23 AM »
I know what you mean. I've not painted a mini in a good long time, Terrain though I've painted a bunch of (being my hobby business) I've got some Necrons I want to paint though.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2021, 06:49:44 AM »
I know it's foolish, but there are times I don't paint for maybe 3-4 weeks...and I genuinely think to myself "I don't even know how to paint anymore...".  It's illogical and stupid, but that thought inhabits my mind which then makes me want to not sit down and paint...stupid brain.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2021, 06:55:28 AM »
I've got similar feelings about painting... In may case, maybe the repetitive process of painting armies is the reason for it. But sometimes, a gem comes, and I feel happy again!
Tre Manor and Kev White are my favorite sculptors, I love that one too! Their work is grim (without being stuffed full with unneccessary skulls and other details...) and realistic. But I still dont risek to order anything from Hasslefree, because of their reputation...
And Your paintjob is really awesome! The desaturated look fits really well, and makes the golden details pop. Its great!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »
I know it's foolish, but there are times I don't paint for maybe 3-4 weeks...and I genuinely think to myself "I don't even know how to paint anymore...".  It's illogical and stupid, but that thought inhabits my mind which then makes me want to not sit down and paint...stupid brain.
Same here...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
I've got similar feelings about painting... In may case, maybe the repetitive process of painting armies is the reason for it. But sometimes, a gem comes, and I feel happy again!
Tre Manor and Kev White are my favorite sculptors, I love that one too! Their work is grim (without being stuffed full with unneccessary skulls and other details...) and realistic. But I still dont risek to order anything from Hasslefree, because of their reputation...
And Your paintjob is really awesome! The desaturated look fits really well, and makes the golden details pop. Its great!

My order took a while, but turns out I ordered a "pre order" miniature.  I think their prices are pretty high...but this was the guy I had to have and I ordered 4-5 minis just to justify the shipping.  I don't do much in the way of armies anymore - beyond 15mm stuff.  Doing dungeon crawls is nice because I designed the game, so I set all the minions to maximum 12 minis per card :D I can paint 12 of anything and not hate my life generally.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2021, 07:48:54 AM »
Great figure, well painted! You've done a great job there. He will suit being the dungeon adversary nicely.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2021, 09:59:02 PM »
This may shock some people...but more dungeon games were played.

In our third or fourth game with this Hero Party they run into Wights and Cultists in a big magic fight.

A new party demo at the local store - and the Hero Party dies in a room surrounded by zombies and on fire...You'll note that the Warrior on the right even made it so far as to opening the door to abandon the quest - but burned to death before he could escape.  Good times.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »
Excellent photos, looks like the kind of game I'd love to play.

Great consistancy in your painting, you produce a lot of good solid paint jobs. Keep them coming.

I can empathise with your motivational problems when it comes to painting, sometimes it's a slog, especially when painting stuff that I don't actually like, but want to get on the table.

The Tre Manor wizard is ace, congratulations.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
Lovely work here!  I’m loving your figutptes, but particularly impressed with this terrain system!