Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128654 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Varangians as Linebreakers painted 30/4
« Reply #570 on: May 05, 2022, 09:08:05 PM »
You may have noticed if you read my plogs that I can often paint with some speed. Some even suggest I should do comissions because of high output. However, it has become very clear to me that I need quite a lot of excitment about a project in order to be fast and productive. I have a lot of started, half painted things lying around as I do stall out on things. I've found it best to just move on to the next fun thing and get something done.

The Linebreakers got me some momentum to work on my Oathmark collection again, and I was able to finish the last 25% or so on these javelin soldiers. I had finished the base coats several months ago after posting the builds, but then set them aside to work on Sludge and other things. Nice to move these to the display shelves at last!

Models are kitbashed, primarily some combinations of the Fireforge Almughavar plastic kit with oathmark soldier bits and a few Victrix things here and there.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Oathmark javelin soldiers 05/05
« Reply #571 on: May 05, 2022, 09:48:50 PM »
You’ve done a fantastic job on those and it’s very valuable to see how all those different different kits fit together. Thanks.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #572 on: May 05, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »
Thank you! The almughavars fit very well with Oathmark humans. Combining either with Victrix parts is a little trickier and may take some greenstuff, but you can get some nifty results. The rightmost model in the front rank is one of my favorites, combining all three kits.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #573 on: May 06, 2022, 01:38:16 AM »
Lots of character n display mate, great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #574 on: May 06, 2022, 02:43:06 AM »
Nice work.  Had my eyes on the Almughavar kit for a while. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #575 on: May 06, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
Would you say these are substantially smaller than Fireforge's Northmen line?

I've had my eye on the kit, as you say, for kitbashing opportunities, but it would be good to know if they tend toward Fireforge's 'new' heroic scale.

And yes, lovely work as ever :)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #576 on: May 06, 2022, 08:54:25 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have any plain Fireforge northmen bodies at home, everything seems to be a kitbash. I took a shot where I think you can see the difference in body size. Looks to me like the body is a mm shorter at the shoulders. Heads should be pretty much exact matches and the Spanish use bowl necks like the northmen, not shelf necks like the Crusaders.

The big difference is arm size. I would happily put Spanish arms on Oathmark bodies but not on Northmen bodies. Oathmark arms seem to go fine on both sets of bodies, so they are not too far apart to kitbash with.

I would be happy to use these in the same army but probably not the same unit. To my eye they are within tolerance, while something like Gripping Beast vikings would be too small to pair with either. The spanish are excellent for representing irregulars that may not be as bulky as the more heavily armoured and well fed regular soldiers.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #577 on: May 07, 2022, 04:03:38 PM »
Great work! And thanks for the showcase on the kits!

I've ordered a couple of the Almughavar sprues off the back of this!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #578 on: May 07, 2022, 04:07:45 PM »
Same, thanks for that. They're smaller than I thought for sure, although not to the point of incompatibility. They fit your Black Duns chaps very well, keen to see them in a game.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #579 on: May 20, 2022, 09:11:57 PM »
This here is a sneak preview of my next project. I think I may have mentioned them already, not sure.

The game is SAGA, the theme is Rohan! I have wanted to do a Rohan army for a good while. In fact I used to have a small War of the Ring Rohan force, but they are long gone. I'm not terribly keen on the official GW models, so I have been holding out for some good historical minis. You saw my first attempt at Riders with the first heavy cavalry unit for the Black Duns, but now I have access to Victrix normas which are much better base for Riders, at least armoured Riders.

Not ready to show any horseflesh just yet, but I have built the first point of levy with bows. 12 old men, farmers and herdsmen most like, ready to defend their homes alongside the more professional warriors of the rohirrim.

Built from Victrix dark age archers, Victrix dacians, a Victrix ango saxon and some Oathmark heads.

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Next project started 20/5
« Reply #580 on: May 21, 2022, 06:13:11 AM »
They look great! I have had a similar idea in mind for a long time with the sprues set aside for it but I just have not had time to get to it. Your photo is proof to me that the idea is sound.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #581 on: May 21, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Nice, been wanting to see the Victrix dark age archers out in the wild. Which battle board are you going to use as Rohan?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #582 on: May 21, 2022, 04:34:52 PM »
Nice, been wanting to see the Victrix dark age archers out in the wild. Which battle board are you going to use as Rohan?

Multiple is the plan. Mainly Horde in AoM for some massive cavalry charges, but I am also going to reserve the option and do the equipment options to run Spanish in AoC and Normans in AoM.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #583 on: May 21, 2022, 07:01:06 PM »
The plan is two units of levy archers, 24 models in total. For the second unit I wanted a few women present, but my standard frostgrave soldiers would look out of place in this theme. It occured to me that I had some Fireforge angry peasants still, so I had a go at building a pair of female archers with dacian arms, Fireforge bodies and a Frostgrave head.

The theme of the archer levy is very much peasants defending their homes, so these are not shieldmaidens of Rohan but rather brave young women who have joined the levy.

What do you think?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Female peasant archers 21/5
« Reply #584 on: May 21, 2022, 08:20:55 PM »
I think I wouldn’t want to come home a little too late and smelling of mead if I was married to either of them…

They’re great kitbashes. They’ll add a bit of variety to the levy archer unit. I’m looking forward to seeing the whole unit painted!