Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694525
  • Total Topics: 118614
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tolkien Orc Kitbash p.24 - Second batch of Uruk-Hai, and more trolls painted.  (Read 56535 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Captain Blood's Tolkien Orc Kitbash (#3 painted p.7)
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
Thank you chaps. Must crack on with the next one! :)

Honestly, very little. I bought two frames of the Oathmark goblins off eBay. They cost a few pounds. That was the only thing I bought specifically for this. Everything else I had already. I have a pile of about 30 assorted plastic figure kits, and I just draw on those for components as and when I need them. The cost of those kits is sunk and accounted for long ago as far as I’m concerned. Some of them are 10+ years old and almost exhausted, but still yield useful bits for kitbashing. Others, like the recent Victrix Saxons, I will use across many other projects over time. It’s a long term investment in endlessly flexible and long lasting resources  ;)

Thrifty, that.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »
Thrifty, that.

lol

Thrifty is my middle name ;)

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2020, 11:35:08 PM »
Excellent.  :o the whole thing.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2020, 04:24:02 PM »
Lovely! I'm working on some Oathmark goblins at the moment, so what a treat to find this thread too! It's a lovely kit and looks especially good here.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
Thanks Rory. I am somewhat diverted by the ECW at present, but when that starts to pall, I shall get back onto a couple more orcs  ;)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
And here's me thinking I'd been very clever putting Perry arms on mine....

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2020, 10:41:53 AM »
Those orcs are beautiful! I love all your work, but these to me look like your best work yet. They are simply perfection.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2020, 06:04:30 PM »
Interesting reading and great conversions.

I know it is a bit boring from a modelling point of view, but I just feel Tolkien orcs, especially the Uruk-Hai, would be quite uniform in appearance. They were bred to be soldiers after all and so were most likely issued with standardised mass produced equipment and weapons. They were regular troops. The account of the Battle of Pelennor Fields refers to them operating in battalions. I don’t know where this idea of wild looking tribal irregulars comes from. It may be more applicable to the goblins of the Hobbit but not the later orcs who seem more like professionals as their only purpose was to fight for the Dark Lord.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »
I know it is a bit boring from a modelling point of view, but I just feel Tolkien orcs, especially the Uruk-Hai, would be quite uniform in appearance. They were bred to be soldiers after all and so were most likely issued with standardised mass produced equipment and weapons.

I'm not sure that's quite right - or at least, I don't think that there's any evidence in the text of their gear being hugely standardised. The Isengarders do seem to have some regularity: helmets with the S-rune, shields with the White Hand, long bows and short swords. But they also had axes, spears and darts - and irregularities of armour, such as the one with an iron collar that notched Gimli's axe. We also know that they made their own gear (it's mentioned in The Battle of the Fords of the Isen), so I don't see why we'd expect any less variety than from other goblin smiths (or smiths elsewhere in the Early Medieval milieu of Middle Earth). Mass production doesn't seem to come into it.

They were regular troops. The account of the Battle of Pelennor Fields refers to them operating in battalions. I don’t know where this idea of wild looking tribal irregulars comes from. It may be more applicable to the goblins of the Hobbit but not the later orcs who seem more like professionals as their only purpose was to fight for the Dark Lord.

Well, we know that the troops of Mordor had quite a bit of variety in their gear. Grishnakh has a knife with a hilt carved with a hideous face. The gear at Cirith Ungol seems quite varied - and the Morgul stuff varied in size and quality from the Tower gear. As well as scimitars and knives, the Mordor orcs used "short stabbing-swords" and short spears with broad heads, as well as bows of horn. And they seem to have dressed in various ways too: head-to-foot mail; hairy breeches; ring-mail shirts; ragged brown; black cloaks; and leather tunics.

Also, the uruks Shagrat and Gorbag don't seem terribly professional as at one stage they're plotting to run off and become brigands "like old times"!

All of that fits pretty well with the good Captain's interpretations, I think!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »
I just feel Tolkien orcs, especially the Uruk-Hai, would be quite uniform in appearance. They were bred to be soldiers after all and so were most likely issued with standardised mass produced equipment and weapons. They were regular troops. The account of the Battle of Pelennor Fields refers to them operating in battalions.

The great thing about any Fantasy background is that it is open to interpretation  :)

Personally I think the references to battalions isn’t a literal one, and owes more to Tolkien’s experience in the Great War...battalion-sized units was perhaps a way of conveying the size of the groupings rather than suggesting a regimented structure?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2020, 09:12:02 PM »
The great thing about any Fantasy background is that it is open to interpretation  :)

Definitely! And it's true, too, that interpretations that diverge quite a bit from what's actually in the text can be really good in their own right.

Personally I think the references to battalions isn’t a literal one, and owes more to Tolkien’s experience in the Great War...battalion-sized units was perhaps a way of conveying the size of the groupings rather than suggesting a regimented structure?

I'm sure that's part of it; there is the "name and number" business, though, and the uruk whip-wielder knowing at a glance where the Cirith Ungol lot were meant to be. I think there's a bit of evidence for orcs being both rag-tag, ill-disciplined warriors and soldiers in a fairly organised military structure at the same time. I suspect that Tolkien's war experiences played into that too.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2020, 09:16:51 PM »
I'm not sure that's quite right - or at least, I don't think that there's any evidence in the text of their gear being hugely standardised. The Isengarders do seem to have some regularity: helmets with the S-rune, shields with the White Hand, long bows and short swords. But they also had axes, spears and darts - and irregularities of armour, such as the one with an iron collar that notched Gimli's axe. We also know that they made their own gear (it's mentioned in The Battle of the Fords of the Isen), so I don't see why we'd expect any less variety than from other goblin smiths (or smiths elsewhere in the Early Medieval milieu of Middle Earth). Mass production doesn't seem to come into it.

The reference in The Battle of the Fords of Isen "In Isenguard as yet only the heavy and clumsy mail of the Orcs was made, by them for their own uses". This doesn't mean this mail wasn't made by orc smiths on a massed produced standardised basis. Surely this would to be the most efficient way to equip a large army being masterminded by Saruman.

When I say standardised, I didn’t mean identical. There would have been some variation between smithies. Axes and spears would be used according to preference. I didn’t mean they would all have just swords for example. The iron collar might have been a badge of rank

Well, we know that the troops of Mordor had quite a bit of variety in their gear. Grishnakh has a knife with a hilt carved with a hideous face. The gear at Cirith Ungol seems quite varied - and the Morgul stuff varied in size and quality from the Tower gear. As well as scimitars and knives, the Mordor orcs used "short stabbing-swords" and short spears with broad heads, as well as bows of horn. And they seem to have dressed in various ways too: head-to-foot mail; hairy breeches; ring-mail shirts; ragged brown; black cloaks; and leather tunics.

Also, the uruks Shagrat and Gorbag don't seem terribly professional as at one stage they're plotting to run off and become brigands "like old times"!

All of that fits pretty well with the good Captain's interpretations, I think!

As my comments above really. Just to add though, as the army of Mordor was so vast there would likely be variations across the whole force but no so much in specific units.

When I say professional, I meant they were full time soldiers. Even professional soldiers are known to mutiny, desert and behave without discipline when circumstances dictate.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:23:56 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
Great work as usual, Captain.  Will these bad boys be fighting your existing medieval figures, or will you be doing True-to-Tolkein elves, dwarves, and/or men?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2020, 10:57:19 PM »
Great work as usual, Captain.  Will these bad boys be fighting your existing medieval figures, or will you be doing True-to-Tolkein elves, dwarves, and/or men?

I quite fancy doing some Gondorians once the Victrix Norman set comes out  :)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »

Possibly. However is responding to Hobgoblin, I re-read some of The Battle of the Fords of Isen account and a battalion of Uruks is referred to more than once which seems to imply an organised military structure? He normally refers to orcs as companies or hosts when in large forces.