Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (New 12/03/23 - Friends go Forth)  (Read 30754 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Thank truly you for your encouraging words.  There were 352 figures on the table. 

The game itself was a resounding victory by the forces of light.  Rightly so! 

We even recycled a 4th Orc/wolf army after one was lost.  I have to work on some balance issues to make it more of a nail biter. 

Take care

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
That is a spectacular set up and collection of figures! The Battle of Five Armies (along with Helm’s Deep) grabbed me when I read them as a child, and probably are part of my lifelong interest in fantasy gaming. Seeing a beautiful game based on those battles is a treat!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
The game itself was a resounding victory by the forces of light.  Rightly so! 

We even recycled a 4th Orc/wolf army after one was lost.  I have to work on some balance issues to make it more of a nail biter. 

Glad you had fun. I wonder, did you include the goblins attacking from the rear in your game?

Victory seemed at hand, when a cry rang out on the heights above.
Goblins had scaled the Mountain from the other side and already many were on the slopes above the Gate, and others were streaming down recklessly, heedless of those that fell screaming from cliff and precipice, to attack the spurs from above... Victory now vanished from hope. They had only stemmed the first onslaught of the black tide.

Apologies if you'd already thought of this, but I wonder if another orc army turning up behind the defenders on a roll of x would even things out? Obviously, then the defenders could roll for the eagles and Beorn to arrive in subsequent turns.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Glad you had fun. I wonder, did you include the goblins attacking from the rear in your game?

Apologies if you'd already thought of this, but I wonder if another orc army turning up behind the defenders on a roll of x would even things out? Obviously, then the defenders could roll for the eagles and Beorn to arrive in subsequent turns.

We did!  The Elf lord discovered placing a unit of archers away from the entry point was a great balancer.  The board was big enough they had one turn of shooting.  We concluded a random entry area would be required.  We even had the units roll for "splat" to see how many goblins fell to their depths in the climb.  "Anything but a 1 boys!"

The Elven archers earned their pay this day.  They were like machine guns.

We used Lion Rampant for the rules. 

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Stunning, really amazing!

You have a lot to be happy with and proud of!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 09/16/2022 - Lonely Mountain Mod)
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2022, 10:58:35 PM »
Hello All,

I made two "cap" pieces for my Lonely Mountain terrain set.  This is to make the boards more usable for other scenarios.  The gap can be a mountain pass or have a river running through it.  A simple but effective way to get more bang from the pieces.

Enjoy and thank you

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2022, 11:35:06 PM »
It looks good with the cap pieces. Definitely lots of potential to use them for other scenarios!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2022, 07:36:19 AM »
This is looking mighty fine so far!

You just need some giant rock-eating we’re worms!  Lol

Dan
PS.  I’m glad to see those Mirliton Elves still in production:
https://www.mirliton.it/fantasy-15-mm/wood-elf
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 08:00:04 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 10/09/2022 - Rohan begins)
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2022, 05:53:26 PM »
Hello All,

We will continue our wonderings in Middle Earth.  We move south from Erebor into the plains of Rohan.  This is the first unit of Eorlings to arrive at the muster.  There will be more to come as the beacon towers are lit and the red arrow has been presented.   

This unit is unique, it is the first horse miniatures I have ever paint.  This is despite being in the hobby for decades.  I was always scared to paint them, but an army of Rohan requires it.

These are Old Glory 15mms from the Dark Age Ottonian line.  The Norman knight look with round shields fits perfectly for Rohan.  The even have cloaks.  The sculpts aren't perfect,but work well. 

https://oldglory15s.com/Ottonians_c375.htm

enjoy

Thank you

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 10/09/2022 - Rohan begins)
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2022, 09:14:39 PM »
They turned out very well! You’re right that those make good riders of Rohan.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 10/27/2022 - Rohan Musters!)
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

best speech ever!  :)

The Muster of Rohan is complete, and they ride to save Gondor.  The miniatures are mostly Old Glory.  Theoden on Snowmane is a Bueda figure.  The mounted archers are fighting15s.  A suggestion from this site. 

Please enjoy and thank you

The full army.  1 Elite Cavalry, 3 Heavy Cavalry, 2 Light cavalry for Lion Rampant. 

A close up of the King of the Mark.  I took a little liberty with his golden shield as solid gold was just too plain. 

Mounted Archers

Thank you

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2022, 11:00:09 PM »
Those Rohirrim are splendid! I love your choice of models!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »
Wonderful stuff - it is so good to see how others interpret the Rohirrim in their miniatures collections.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
Thank you both. 

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 12/11/2022 - Oliphants!)
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2022, 03:35:12 AM »
"Grey as a mouse, Big as a house, ...."

I am very happy with the first installment of the Haradrim army. We had to start big or go home. 

I present two Mûmakils for your enjoyment.  These are Aventine 28mm West African elephants to the capture the proper scale of the Oliphant's.  I did not go Peter Jackson big!

I scratch built the Howdahs from card stock and foam.  They are held on via magnets for ease of storage.  These are rather tall.  I had an engineering disaster with these.  I built them to be narrow side forward.  Once I placed the riders/handlers on I discovered I had made them too long.  Luckly, because of the magnets, the family suggested turning them 90 degrees and they looked great.  I was so happy I did not have to repeat all that work. 

The riders are Old Glory Dark Age Russ/Slavs.  They had their poor legs thoroughly spread apart to fit on the Oliphants.  The archer crews are Legio Heroica Syrians.  All with their stylish red turbans and black arm bands to show loyalty to Mordor.  They are excellent figures.   

Here are some action shots with the Riders of Rohan for scale.

Thank you for viewing.